The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

4 hours ago, Quantum said:

Yeah, I think you're right.

He'll probably sign in March 2020 and play a game or two. That'll be 3 years from when he was drafted. And then in the Fall of 2020, he'll probably make a run at a defense spot or get big minutes in Utica.

Given how well College Defensemen have blossomed in the Canucks system, I wouldn't be shocked if he makes the jump from NCAA to NHL with us... we've done it before with Hutton, Stecher, Hughes (most likely)... so there is that. Even Tanev got into 29 games straight from the NCAA in the 2010-2011 season (when we made our cup run). I think the extra workout time really benefits defensemen in the NCAA system.

But yeah, he's definitely a player and somebody who could be solid contributor in a few years time for the Canucks.

I actually think he will be in Utica next season and up in Van by the end of that season. He is the first prospect I have believed would be a sure fire success. I just love to watch him skate. He is also aggressive and is putting on size.

Oooooohhhh, I’m going to get roasted, but putting this out there:

The way he transitioned from college to pro just gave me more confidence in my game,” said Rathbone. “My dad preached to me since I was a little kid that hockey doesn’t last forever. You want it to, but being able to fall back on a degree in business is something I’m looking forward to set myself up.

“If my game is at a place to where I can transition early to pro, I will. But that’s way ahead.”

It’s huge,” Rathbone explained of the opportunity to attend Harvard. “My dad has preached to me since I was a little kid that although you want it to, hockey, it doesn’t last forever. Being able to fall back on a degree from a place like Harvard, it’s something I’m really looking forward to and hopefully it’s something I can do a lot with and set myself up for in the years after hockey. If I feel I’m comfortable enough and my game’s in a place where it can transition to pro early, I will (leave school early). But that’s a ways ahead and we’ll see when I get there. But for right now, I’m focused on [my] freshman year and going in there and making an impact.”

Well, I guess he’s playing his cards close to his vest.  It is uncomfortable that he’s playing on the same program that Fox and Vesey do/did.

Edited by Dungass
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Dungass said:

Well, I guess he’s playing his cards close to his vest.  It is uncomfortable that he’s playing on the same program that Fox and Vessey do/did.

Making potentially tens of millions versus having a piece of paper on the wall, and the earlier in the longer that money is made.  Making an impact as a freshman already, if comfortable will leave early. 

But but anyone in college can be Vesey and and and...

:bored:

26 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Making potentially tens of millions versus having a piece of paper on the wall, and the earlier in the longer that money is made.  Making an impact as a freshman already, if comfortable will leave early. 

I don't see any reason to belittle the option of getting a degree while playing hockey. The only decisions Rathbone makes that affects us as Canucks fans are his hockey related ones, but he has to think about more than that. 

He literally said that he'll sign if he get's the chance and getting the degree would be a fallback option anyways, so the only way he won't sign is if management doesn't thinks he deserves a contract. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Kids only played 1-1/2 months of a four year eligibility at Harvard and people are already worried about him not signing? Little early for that I think....

So true! We have done well so far with the kids we draftd going to College. But heck some fans probly get their panties in a knot as soon as we draft a kid committed to college in the fall...

Super impressed by how he has progressed. Hoping to get to see him in the WJC tourney!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Dungass said:

“The way he transitioned from college to pro just gave me more confidence in my game,” said Rathbone. “My dad preached to me since I was a little kid that hockey doesn’t last forever. You want it to, but being able to fall back on a degree in business is something I’m looking forward to set myself up.

“If my game is at a place to where I can transition early to pro, I will. But that’s way ahead.”

It’s huge,” Rathbone explained of the opportunity to attend Harvard. “My dad has preached to me since I was a little kid that although you want it to, hockey, it doesn’t last forever. Being able to fall back on a degree from a place like Harvard, it’s something I’m really looking forward to and hopefully it’s something I can do a lot with and set myself up for in the years after hockey. If I feel I’m comfortable enough and my game’s in a place where it can transition to pro early, I will (leave school early). But that’s a ways ahead and we’ll see when I get there. But for right now, I’m focused on [my] freshman year and going in there and making an impact.”

Well, I guess he’s playing his cards close to his vest.  It is uncomfortable that he’s playing on the same program that Fox and Vesey do/did.

Not all that close to the vest if you read the remarks I highlighted.:canucks:

9 hours ago, Dungass said:

There is also the fact that a fully paid scholarship at a very good university is worth a lot of scratch, (especially if you consider the long range benefits) and it is tax free as far as I know.  Might be worth almost as much as he’d make if he got sent down to Utica and a minor league salary after taxes, depending on his program.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

There is also the fact that a fully paid scholarship at a very good university is worth a lot of scratch, (especially if you consider the long range benefits) and it is tax free as far as I know.  Might be worth almost as much as he’d make if he got sent down to Utica and a minor league salary after taxes, depending on his program.

Especially a Harvard Business degree.  A Harvard business degree and a Harvard MBA = 40 years of annualized income of $650,000 as a hedge fund manager or middle management for five years to 10 years and 30 years as a senior exec for a Fortune 500 company equates to $26 million lifetime earnings, plus stock options.  That's a nice fall back position to find yourself if a pro hockey career (probably three years at AHL $160,000, and 10 years NHL AAV of $30 million, plus 27 years post hockey income of $650,000 equivalent) doesn't work out.

There's something to be said for getting a college degree from an Ivy League or a "new" Ivy League school (friend of mine went to Rennselaer Polytech Institute in Boston on a full hockey scholarship (even though it's not an Ivy League school and even though he didn't play a second of pro hockey, there's a picture of him wearing an RPI jersey in a game situation in the HHOF) and he has probably has established himself with a net worth of $50 schmill or so on the strength of his college degree).

Like Mr. T says, pity the fool who ditches school.

EDIT - gonna bet that Patrick McNally doesn't give a rat's ass that his pro hockey career didn't work out. In spite of his one year academic suspension, with his Harvard degree, I'm going to bet that there's a bunch of opportunities coming his way.

EDIT 2 - ixnay Edit 1.  Looks like McNally is still living out a pro hockey dream with signing on with Division 2 teams in Europe.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Dungass said:

He seems like a strong character guy, but he's also a big family guy. Hopefully he's committed to the team that saw something in him before he even showcased himself on a bigger stage and drafted him much like how Gaudette felt.

22 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

We can all go on a Rathbone watch just as we did with Boeser, Gaudette, Demko etc. The dif with the other 3 is in part the Nylander deal. Bottom line is the pay scale of the NHL is dropping to bigger payouts for younger players. The incentive  for signing is much bigger. No reason that the choice has to be a Harvard education versus a NHL career. As you pointed out a NHL career equals big $'s which can then morph into a 2nd career based on a Harvard degree. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Especially a Harvard Business degree.  A Harvard business degree and a Harvard MBA = 40 years of annualized income of $650,000 as a hedge fund manager or middle management for five years to 10 years and 30 years as a senior exec for a Fortune 500 company equates to $26 million lifetime earnings, plus stock options.  That's a nice fall back position to find yourself if a pro hockey career (probably three years at AHL $160,000, and 10 years NHL AAV of $30 million, plus 27 years post hockey income of $650,000 equivalent) doesn't work out.

There's something to be said for getting a college degree from an Ivy League or a "new" Ivy League school (friend of mine went to Rennselaer Polytech Institute in Boston on a full hockey scholarship (even though it's not an Ivy League school and even though he didn't play a second of pro hockey, there's a picture of him wearing an RPI jersey in a game situation in the HHOF) and he has probably has established himself with a net worth of $50 schmill or so on the strength of his college degree).

Like Mr. T says, pity the fool who ditches school.

EDIT - gonna bet that Patrick McNally doesn't give a rat's ass that his pro hockey career didn't work out. In spite of his one year academic suspension, with his Harvard degree, I'm going to bet that there's a bunch of opportunities coming his way.

EDIT 2 - ixnay Edit 1.  Looks like McNally is still living out a pro hockey dream with signing on with Division 2 teams in Europe.

Yeah nice try.

I know two different guys with Ivy League school business degrees. They don't make much more than 100k a year.

You are talking about the elite who already have daddys in major positions in huge companies.

Nice try with your numbers though lol. So far from reality. :picard:

Edited by Kanukfanatic