The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

On 12/4/2018 at 8:42 AM, krutovsdonut said:

ivy league schools have high admission standards so that graph is comparing apples and oranges and not very helpful.  it is mostly showing you that smart hardworking people earn more money.

a meaningful graph would be to compare median incomes of people with similar hs grades and testing results who went to ivy league schools or did not. 

I wouldn't say that kids who go to ivy league colleges are any harder working than students at other colleges.  I would bet they aren't nearly as hard working because most of them come from wealthy, entitled families

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I wouldn't say that kids who go to ivy league colleges are any harder working than students at other colleges.  I would bet they aren't nearly as hard working because most of them come from wealthy, entitled families

well that's not right.  rich or poor you have to work hard and be smart to get into an ivy league school unless you are an elite athlete.  rich kids go to good schools and get more help and direction, but they still have to do the work to ace their sat and their regular and ap high school courses and you can't fake that.  most rich kids in good  private schools with the best of instruction have no shot whatever to get into a top ivy league school like harvard.

Edited by krutovsdonut

1 hour ago, krutovsdonut said:

well that's not right.  rich or poor you have to work hard and be smart to get into an ivy league school unless you are an elite athlete.  rich kids go to good schools and get more help and direction, but they still have to do the work to ace their sat and their regular and ap high school courses and you can't fake that.  most rich kids in good  private schools with the best of instruction have no shot whatever to get into a top ivy league school like harvard.

we'll agree to disagree.  

Remind me where Bush 43 went again? 

On 12/2/2018 at 12:13 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

I don't see any reason to belittle the option of getting a degree while playing hockey. The only decisions Rathbone makes that affects us as Canucks fans are his hockey related ones, but he has to think about more than that.

No belittling, that's not the distinction here as a player can continue getting his degree while playing pro hockey.  As Boods commented, the incentive continues to increase with players earning bigger money earlier and earlier.  If they are ready they come out, as the league keeps getting younger.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a PNHLe list for defencemen starting at the month of December and Rathbone was 15th on the list. Ahead of guys like Boqvist and Juolevi. Great to see from a 4th rounder. The list is obviously going to change, however this is a good sign for me.

Edited by J-23
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Madden and Rathbone would be too old I believe :(

Rathbone should be on the current team.  Watching their D play, and a couple of their guys have serious issues turning.  They are taller, skinny, and fragile looking.  They were actually really surprisingly terrible.  Rathbone is a much better player than them for sure.  Likely politics had to do with some of those US guys getting on that team.  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Rathbone should be on the current team.  Watching their D play, and a couple of their guys have serious issues turning.  They are taller, skinny, and fragile looking.  They were actually really surprisingly terrible.  Rathbone is a much better player than them for sure.  Likely politics had to do with some of those US guys getting on that team.  

I may be wrong but I don't think Jack can play WJC next year.  He will be too old.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Some of the things you say are ridiculous and this is one of them. Keep watching old fella. I love Rathbone, but like every country there is a pecking order. Call it politics if you want, but which player would he replace from the USA roster?

3 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Some of the things you say are ridiculous and this is one of them. Keep watching old fella. I love Rathbone, but like every country there is a pecking order. Call it politics if you want, but which player would he replace from the USA roster?

Watch the game tonight, and you will notice two USA Dmen who clearly have trouble turning.  They are both tall, and have spindly legs.  Neither can keep up with the pace of play.  Rathbone is better suited for this elite level hockey, where skating is ultra important.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Watch the game tonight, and you will notice two USA Dmen who clearly have trouble turning.  They are both tall, and have spindly legs.  Neither can keep up with the pace of play.  Rathbone is better suited for this elite level hockey, where skating is ultra important.  

Jack didn't do himself any favors by staying in highschool for an extra year. It cost him a couple rounds in the draft an opportunities to play for the USDP, but that's just the way it works. I agree he would look great on that team, but he didn't earn it the way the other players did. Their loss is the Canucks gain.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Jack didn't do himself any favors by staying in highschool for an extra year. It cost him a couple rounds in the draft an opportunities to play for the USDP, but that's just the way it works. I agree he would look great on that team, but he didn't earn it the way the other players did. Their loss is the Canucks gain.

Jack doesn't give a f---k because he was more interested in helping his family and in particular his younger brother. That is why he will drive himself on to be one of the best Canuck D's ever IMO no mater what schedule he follows.:)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2