The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

3 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Can we stick to the topic instead of all this Empire cr-p. I came on here for updates on Jack not this guff. :P

Yeah as little as I care about the average CDC poster’s opinion on prospects, I care even less about their opinions on socioeconomics and history. There are off topic threads for this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John McClane said:

Don’t know much about this kid. Considering his size I would not have expected him to throw open ice hits like that. Would have expected a hip checking guy.

Thanks for the clip Vintage.

Anything I’ve heard or read about him could be described in 2 words..  “Focused and Determined” to play for the NHL Team that signed his rights.

apparently he plays a beast of a game.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He’s always had a physical side, even back in prep. And he’s a really strong kid. Naturally build pretty thick through his legs and core, and a lower centre of gravity, and now has really pushed himself in the gym the last year to add mass and strengthen his upper body. He’s 5’11” and 190 lbs, and really solid. 

When he hits guys, they definitely feel it, despite Rathbone’s smaller stature (for a Dman)..

Bieksa played at 195. 

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Bieksa might have played at that weight but he hit like he was 20 lbs heavier.

I'm hoping that Jack Rathbone continues to develop as he is looking like a steal of a pick IMO (perhaps a new and improved version of Bieksa)

I'm glad he's getting developed in the NCAA, I have high hopes for him to

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

I watched parts of this game and the announcer called him 'Bonecrusher' after that hit. He's a Phil Housley or Ryan Ellis level player. He's always on the right side of the puck and has his head up the whole game. I'd sign him to a PTO with Utica at the end of this season. He's pro level good already and has been quoted as saying that he wants to get to the NHL as soon as possible. I'd let him make the jump this season and get him started on his pro journey.

let's pump the brakes a little there.  Housley was an elite level dman in his day.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

let's pump the brakes a little there.  Housley was an elite level dman in his day.

I was more referring to his stature, poise with the puck, elite level skating and playmaking ability. I seriously doubt he becomes a hall of famer like Housley, but he has all the skills to be a good pro and control play from the backend.

1 minute ago, canuckledraggin said:

I was more referring to his stature, poise with the puck, elite level skating and playmaking ability. I seriously doubt he becomes a hall of famer like Housley, but he has all the skills to be a good pro and control play from the backend.

I'd agree with you there, there are similarities.  As much as I loathe this kind of comparison, his style does remind me of.......gulp.....Orr.  Doubtfull he'll ever be even close to the player that Orr was, but he does play in the same style.

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd agree with you there, there are similarities.  As much as I loathe this kind of comparison, his style does remind me of.......gulp.....Orr.  Doubtfull he'll ever be even close to the player that Orr was, but he does play in the same style.

People only loath making these comparisons because there's too many keyboard warriors who can't take them as intended. Play style, not talent.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Way to double down on the comparisons :PStylistically I see more Orr in Hughes. Those 2 really didn't/don't care about the lines on the ice, they just skate to find open ice and are willing to take the puck right to the opposition goal line. In my viewings of Rathbone, he doesn't get on the wrong side of the puck. He is very responsible defensively and he knows when to back out of the offensive zone. The word that comes to mind when I watch Jack play is Smooth. He's almost like Tanev with way better skating and offense. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, aGENT said:

People only loath making these comparisons because there's too many keyboard warriors who can't take them as intended. Play style, not talent.

agreed.  I got to watch Orr live a few times as a kid, Hughes plays a very similar, patient with puck possession kind of style.  Whether he can execute like Orr remains to be determined

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuckledraggin said:

Way to double down on the comparisons :PStylistically I see more Orr in Hughes. Those 2 really didn't/don't care about the lines on the ice, they just skate to find open ice and are willing to take the puck right to the opposition goal line. In my viewings of Rathbone, he doesn't get on the wrong side of the puck. He is very responsible defensively and he knows when to back out of the offensive zone. The word that comes to mind when I watch Jack play is Smooth. He's almost like Tanev with way better skating and offense. 

I would agree with all of that