The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

51 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

He played in the young Canuck tournament against the Jets young players if I'm not mistaken. He raised more than a few eyebrows.

That’s where I saw him. I was impressed as he really stood out.

when his schooling finished? 

So we can sign him.

Edited by HockeyHarry

We have so many C+ to B level prospects in this organization, guys with promise that could be NHL players, or AHL/European careers.  I put Lind, Gadjovich, Woo, Dipietro, Madden, Rathbone, Lockwood, Brisebois, Tryamkin.  If a few of these guys can step up and be solid contributors, like I feel Guadette will be, we will be in great shape.  Drafting our own depth is going to be so key to out  future.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

We have so many C+ to B level prospects in this organization, guys with promise that could be NHL players, or AHL/European careers.  I put Lind, Gadjovich, Woo, Dipietro, Madden, Rathbone, Lockwood, Brisebois, Tryamkin.  If a few of these guys can step up and be solid contributors, like I feel Guadette will be, we will be in great shape.  Drafting our own depth is going to be so key to out  future.

I think you hit the problem the org has right now. The prospect pool has some possibilities but not enough top flight players. I was hoping for another strong draft picking in the top 10 to add another top flight player. 

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, richado said:

So how's the Rathboner doing lately?

*fights urge to make an off colour post*

Rathbone is playing well. Not putting up points at the same rate he was earlier in the season, but making solid plays at both ends of the rink and continuing to look good on the top pairing with Fox.

Harvard has a big game tomorrow night against 14th ranked (nationally) Cornell.

And they play Colgate on Saturday afternoon.

As for the Rathboner, that’s probably a little too personal for this thread, but if you’re really interested, you can DM me.

(Guess I didn’t quite fight off that initial urge. ;))

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2019 at 1:27 PM, BCNate said:

Rathbone is outscoring 80% of d in college as a freshman. He has earned top minutes plus spk and pp time. He has the best shot of all our prospects. He is fasr from a c+ Right now he is trajecting very sim to q He even can skate as well, with a way better shot.

• Cheers 1

On 1/12/2019 at 3:11 PM, Boudrias said:

I think you hit the problem the org has right now. The prospect pool has some possibilities but not enough top flight players. I was hoping for another strong draft picking in the top 10 to add another top flight player. 

Have you followed Rathbone? or Dahlen or jasek nor Dipietro? etc.  Oj Q Gaudette. there is a reason we have 6 in the top 50 prospects

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, youngguns19 said:

Rathbone is outscoring 80% of d in college as a freshman. He has earned top minutes plus spk and pp time. He has the best shot of all our prospects. He is fasr from a c+ Right now he is trajecting very sim to q He even can skate as well, with a way better shot.

So are you saying Rathbone skate's as well as Q Hughes but has a way better shot?  How would you rate their hockey IQs? The same?

Would you say Rathbone is just as good as Q Hughes?

11 hours ago, youngguns19 said:

Have you followed Rathbone? or Dahlen or jasek nor Dipietro? etc.  Oj Q Gaudette. there is a reason we have 6 in the top 50 prospects

I do follow our prospects and as a long term fan I am very excited about where we are now versus 5 years ago. That said I do not have the expectation that a majority of them will make it to the NHL. I do not consider the breath or depth of prospects enough. Another solid draft by Benning would be a big boost. The development curve suggests to me that 3 years should yield a CUP playoff team. 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

So are you saying Rathbone skate's as well as Q Hughes but has a way better shot?  How would you rate their hockey IQs? The same?

Would you say Rathbone is just as good as Q Hughes?

Nobody in our system skates as good as Hughes. His edgework is already the best in the NHL along with Barzal, Skinner, McDavid, etc. There’s a reason some scouts are saying he’s the best skater they’ve seen. I don’t see his shot being much of a problem once he fills out and matures. Never going to have a great shot, but it should be good enough in a few years when he’s much stronger. I’m sure EP can give him some pointers.

1 hour ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Nobody in our system skates as good as Hughes. His edgework is already the best in the NHL along with Barzal, Skinner, McDavid, etc. There’s a reason some scouts are saying he’s the best skater they’ve seen. I don’t see his shot being much of a problem once he fills out and matures. Never going to have a great shot, but it should be good enough in a few years when he’s much stronger. I’m sure EP can give him some pointers.

Yeah I haven't watched Rathbone that closely but what little I have seen I'd say he might have comparable 'ish power/speed to Hughes but his edge work/agility is no match (along with 99% of other players :lol: ). And his vision (while not poor) is also not on the same level.

He arguably has more grit to his game though. If he stays on his current trajectory he could certainly be a nice compliment, likely on a 2nd or 3rd pairing though :) 

3 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

youngguns19 just said it. I was asking him. Look at his post.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

He arguably has more grit to his game though. If he stays on his current trajectory he could certainly be a nice compliment, likely on a 2nd or 3rd pairing though :) 

Don't think it's too arguable! Rathbones game is definitely edgy, we need more of that on the back end. Nice to have guys like him and Woo coming up in the near-ish future.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, cyoung said:

Don't think it's too arguable! Rathbones game is definitely edgy, we need more of that on the back end. Nice to have guys like him and Woo coming up in the near-ish future.

Edgy, and they can skate, and have good puck skills.  Love guys like that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

you are comparing different skating skillsets.

rathbone is more like brett hedican, who was an incredible natural graceful power skater but lacked stick handling skills and sneaky elusive edgework.  he could outrun you forwards of backwards but he was rarely going to trick you into turning the wrong way.