The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

Judd Brackett's review:

JACK RATHBONE

Defence, drafted 2017, Harvard University

Exceptional character, went into Harvard as a freshman, assimilated quickly, moved up to the first pair with Adam Fox, played really meaningful minutes in all situations. Played on the second power-play unit.

One of the biggest things we saw was his physical maturation. His body’s really grown stronger. He’s more powerful and more confident in his two-way play.

Full interview: https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/q-a-with-canucks-scouting-director-judd-brackett

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

With Fox going to the Rangers it adds more to my fear that Rathbone will not sign with the Canucks

I'd be pretty shocked if he didn't sign with us at the end of his next season. He'll be ready.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

With Fox going to the Rangers it adds more to my fear that Rathbone will not sign with the Canucks

Rathbone will sign with us either spring 2020 or spring 2021.  He isn’t a UFA until August 2022.  The sooner he signs with us, the sooner he gets through his ELC and into the big money.  Fox is not as good a player as Rathbone, and needed the full four college years to mature.  Rathbone will be ready sooner

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Rathbone will sign with us either spring 2020 or spring 2021.  He isn’t a UFA until August 2022.  The sooner he signs with us, the sooner he gets through his ELC and into the big money.  Fox is not as good a player as Rathbone, and needed the full four college years to mature.  Rathbone will be ready sooner

Fox didn't need 4 years, he played the 4 because he wanted to become a FA. Fox is definitely a better prospect right now without a doubt ...

5 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Fox didn't need 4 years, he played the 4 because he wanted to become a FA. Fox is definitely a better prospect right now without a doubt ...

No he’s not.  Rathbone is younger, a better skater, and way more physical.  Rathbone plays an NHL game.  Fox, although sly, will bustaroo bonzai.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

No he’s not.  Rathbone is younger, a better skater, and way more physical.  Rathbone plays an NHL game.  Fox, although sly, will bustaroo bonzai.  

Take the blinders off man lol. I love Rathbone too but clearly you don't know anything about fox lol

Rathbone is one year younger, fox had played 2 wjc (played great) by rathbones age and had dominated the NCAA for two years.

I hope Rathbone becomes a great player but right now fox is just a better prospect.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cyoung said:

Take the blinders off man lol. I love Rathbone too but clearly you don't know anything about fox lol

Rathbone is one year younger, fox had played 2 wjc (played great) by rathbones age and had dominated the NCAA for two years.

I hope Rathbone becomes a great player but right now fox is just a better prospect.

In your opinion.  Just physicality alone (notorious mention Rathbone is a way better skater) makes Rathbone a better NHL prospect.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

In your opinion.  Just physicality alone (notorious mention Rathbone is a way better skater) makes Rathbone a better NHL prospect.  

Fox's skating is on par if not better dude...lol. Rathbone does play more physical but that's probably the only category he has the edge on at the moment.

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

They are Havard prospects... Their Harvard degree is worth more than their ELC. 

2 hours ago, cyoung said:

He hasn't played 4 years. He's played 3. His play gave his agents leverage to get him dealt to the NHL he wanted to play for (the Rangers) and I have no doubt that Adam Fox will sign with them this summer. It's a smart play that these NCAA guys may try doing more if this works out for Fox. Instead of waiting for 4 years, demand a trade in year 3 with the threat that "I won't sign next year no matter what" and maybe you'll get to the team you want to sign with that way. It's not great and it only seems like the Harvard guys (Vesey, Kerfoot, Fox) do this but it's something to think about.

I believe Rathbone will sign next year. Just a feeling.

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Future D is shaping up nicely and as early as the end of the regular season it could look like:

Hughes Tryamkin

Joulevi Rathbone

Edler Stecher

It would be an absolute game changer if the big comrade comes back to Vancouver

• Upvote 1