The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

On 11/25/2017 at 2:12 PM, Alflives said:

I read here, he's going to Harvard.  I would still rather see our D in the WHL or OHL, but he's getting to attend Harvard.  That's a great academic school.  

Great academic school, not so great for producing major league athletes.

I'd rather he go to BU, BC, Michigan, Wisconsin, or one of the Minnesota schools. Powerhouse athletic schools that produce major league athletes. 

Lately Harvard has produced the likes of Vesey and Kerfoot, but overall their track record is not great. Lets hope we don't waste another four years following another Patrick McNally.

2 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

According to Elite Prospects Rathbone has played 8 games for the Cape Cod Whalers U18 midget select team and has 4 goals and no assists. 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=311766

He also played his first high school season game Nov. 29 for Dexter Southfield, in which he scored a goal.

That DXSF Boys Varsity feed actually gives game updates and posts highlights. Last game they even linked to a stream (although it's now payblocked but might have been free when the game was live).

So it appears it’s actually going to be possible to follow him fairly closely this season, if anyone is so inclined.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Great academic school, not so great for producing major league athletes.

I'd rather he go to BU, BC, Michigan, Wisconsin, or one of the Minnesota schools. Powerhouse athletic schools that produce major league athletes. 

Lately Harvard has produced the likes of Vesey and Kerfoot, but overall their track record is not great. Lets hope we don't waste another four years following another Patrick McNally.

Hockey players who go to Harvard are using hockey to get the best education.  Nothing wrong with that, they just don't tend to have the NHL as their ultimate goal.  However you can get a scholarship to a school like that, fill your boots.  Tuition for foreign students is $43k per year.  UBC would be closer to $6k fwiw

On 11/25/2017 at 2:27 PM, Alflives said:

I could be wrong (AGAIN - haha) but I think Brian Burke is a Harvard grad.  

Ya Burkie graduated from Harvard Law with a Juris Doctor in 1981.  It is no small thing. 

Biega went to Harvard too

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He also played his first high school season game Nov. 29 for Dexter Southfield, in which he scored a goal.

That DXSF Boys Varsity feed actually gives game updates and posts highlights. Last game they even linked to a stream (although it's now payblocked but might have been free when the game was live).

So it appears it’s actually going to be possible to follow him fairly closely this season, if anyone is so inclined.

Thanks for the update. I have been searching for info on him as much as I can. Had not found that yet...he's an intriguing yet troubling prospect, maybe it's just the knowledge of what happened to Patrick McNally after he chose Harvard, not to say that's a fair comparison to make but sometimes I get paranoid about the way our prospects get handled. 

43 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Hockey players who go to Harvard are using hockey to get the best education.  Nothing wrong with that, they just don't tend to have the NHL as their ultimate goal.  However you can get a scholarship to a school like that, fill your boots.  Tuition for foreign students is $43k per year.  UBC would be closer to $6k fwiw

Ya Burkie graduated from Harvard Law with a Juris Doctor in 1981.  It is no small thing. 

Biega went to Harvard too

Not for international students. That's about what it is for domestic.

48 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Not for international students. That's about what it is for domestic.

Ya......ok......the student is from Canada......they pay 43k to go to harvard.....6 to go to ubc......that's the typical scenario that I'm talking about to be clear

14 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

Thanks for the update. I have been searching for info on him as much as I can. Had not found that yet...he's an intriguing yet troubling prospect, maybe it's just the knowledge of what happened to Patrick McNally after he chose Harvard, not to say that's a fair comparison to make but sometimes I get paranoid about the way our prospects get handled. 

That Cape Cod Whalers U18 Team looks pretty stacked. Made up of some of the best players from the top area prep schools (Thayer Academy, Noble & Greenough, and Dexter Southfield). And they play in a very competitive league:

The Whaler U18 team is a half season, Tier 1, National Bound Midget team. The team is a founding
member of the Mass Selects league, often heralded as the finest midget league in the country.

http://capecodwhalers.com/page.php?page_id=91571

Typos
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TonyStrecher said:

I think Harvard will be a great place for Rathbone, especially if Adam Fox and Reilly Walsh are still there to mentor him.

Has anyone been able to find Rathbone's stats with Dexter anywhere?

They probably have them here:

https://www.ushr.com/neprep/stats

Unfortunately, to actually see them you’d have to pay an pretty obscene price for a subscription (minimal plan is $30/month or $149.50 annual).

EDIT: yep, here’s Jack’s page: 

https://www.ushr.com/neprep/team/stats/2017/446?playerId=20635

You can browse everything prior to this season (actually some good game-to-game detail for last season and previous), but need to pay to see his 2017-18 numbers.

I sometimes think the Canucks organization should just throw us diehards a bone and make some of their internal information public.

I’m certain they have all the stats for every player on their reserve list (including Rathbone) and get regular game reports and scouting updates. Just pay one junior staffer to compile it all and make it public.

Actually, I'd be happy to do it for them for a pretty modest part-time salary and a chance to have access to all their internal player data. ;) 

EDIT: wait a sec... I’m kinda doing quite a bit of that already around here for free. Dammit! JB you clever fox! :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I sometimes think the Canucks organization should just throw us diehards a bone and make some of their internal information public.

I’m certain they have all the stats for every player on their reserve list (including Rathbone) and get regular game reports and scouting updates. Just pay one junior staffer to compile it all and make it public.

Actually, I'd be happy to do it for them for a pretty modest part-time salary and a chance to have access to all their internal player data. ;) 

EDIT: wait a sec... I’m kinda doing quite a bit of that already around here for free. Dammit! JB you clever fox! :lol:

Yer the guy! man..... JB is waiting for your scouting report. Does Rathbone smash rubber or wat?

On 11/25/2017 at 2:23 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Harvard would be wicked tough - smart kid.

Depends who you are.

Ex-President George W. Bush graduated from both Yale and Harvard.

“There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.”

"Thu Interweb thing."

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful," he said, "And so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people," he continued, "And neither do we." Even more disturbing is the fact that he was reading from prepared text.

• Upvote 4

On 12/2/2017 at 5:58 AM, DrJockitch said:

I paid under $2k a year to go to UBC, makes me feel old.

Feeling old can be a terrible thing, so to make you feel younger  ...

When I entered UBC tuition for 1st year students in either Arts or Sciences was $428, of which B.C. government scholarships would cover up to 3/4 based on the results of the government scholarship exams (and then those would continue for future years depending on marks.)  When I entered law school at UBC tuition for that faculty was, iirc, $540.

Edited by tyhee
  • Cheers 1