The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

11 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Ya I mean, those are definitely valid points. We'll see how the season goes. I just have a hard time seeing Benning trade a healthy, productive Tanev if we're in the playoff hunt (again, hypothetical). That would be a bold move and Benning most definitely has not been bold!

He'll have a number of hard decisions coming up with soon to be RFAs and UFAs. Players like Virtanen, Demko, Markstrom, Tanev, Leivo, etc. 

Benning also needs to think about the bonuses on Hughes and Pettersson's ELC contracts as well. We're already getting dinged for Luongo and Spooner. If we're constantly operating at the cap ceiling, those bonuses will always come out of our cap the next year. Once EP and QH's ELCs are up in 2 years, we won't be able to afford to have those bonuses roll forward like that. So Benning will need to do some cap maneuvering moving forward.

I guess for me it all comes down to whether Benning has faith in the depth he's put together to fill in for Tanev's absence (whether trade or injury... which I can guarantee they're planning for/assuming).

In my mind, they already view him as a +/- 50 game player. Whether those lost games are from injury or because he's traded doesn't particularly matter. 

So I think if, at some point this season before the TDL, Benning has faith in his depth and incoming reinforcements, Tanev's healthy/there's a market... he's gone IMO.

And I disagree with the sentiment that Benning isn't 'bold'/lacks the ability. Not particularly worried about cap either. We're going to lose a lot of the more fringe players over the next few years by simple competitive attrition, expiration, another in the ED etc. Only thing I'm particularly worried/interested in, is how they suss out the goalie situation.

Edited by aGENT
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Ya I mean, those are definitely valid points. We'll see how the season goes. I just have a hard time seeing Benning trade a healthy, productive Tanev if we're in the playoff hunt (again, hypothetical). That would be a bold move and Benning most definitely has not been bold!

He'll have a number of hard decisions coming up with soon to be RFAs and UFAs. Players like Virtanen, Demko, Markstrom, Tanev, Leivo, etc. 

Benning also needs to think about the bonuses on Hughes and Pettersson's ELC contracts as well. We're already getting dinged for Luongo and Spooner. If we're constantly operating at the cap ceiling, those bonuses will always come out of our cap the next year. Once EP and QH's ELCs are up in 2 years, we won't be able to afford to have those bonuses roll forward like that. So Benning will need to do some cap maneuvering moving forward.

Good post and I agree with the bolded 100%.

Zero chance JB tries to trade Tanev if we are in the playoff hunt near regular season end. Zero.

Some posters seem to have trouble comparing that idea to how real life works. GMs in real life don't trade their best defensive d men when they are in the playoffs. Name one time they did.....that's right.  They don't.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, aGENT said:

I guess for me it all comes down to whether Benning has faith in the depth he's put together to fill in for Tanev's absence (whether trade or injury... which I can guarantee they're planning for/assuming).

The thing is, we finally have some depth on the backend. But all of our younger defensemen still carry a lot of question marks. So I think we'd need to see one or two guys graduate from Utica and get Tryamkin over here if we're really considering trading Tanev. When healthy, he's our most steady, reliable defender (in his own zone). So Benning better be sure these young guys are ready before trading Tanev in the thick of a playoff race. 

5 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Zero chance JB tries to trade Tanev if we are in the playoff hunt near regular season end. Zero.

Some posters seem to have trouble comparing that idea to how real life works. GMs in real life don't trade their best defensive d men when they are in the playoffs. Name one time they did.....that's right.  They don't.

I wouldn't say it's impossible but so much would have to go right on our backend for that to he a possibility IMO. A more likely scenario (assuming we're in a playoff race) would be JB just rolls the dice and let's Tanev hit free agency. He can always try to re-sign him after the deadline and there's a number of other solid defensemen scheduled to be free agents as well. Although, I have my doubts that we'll be able to afford someone like Tyson Barrie.

• Hydration 1
On 9/1/2019 at 12:00 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

If Juolevi is ready, somebody goes, if Tryamkin is coming over, somebody will need to be gone by next season. Tanev chews up too much cap for a guy who can’t stay healthy - and then the process of elimination starts - None of Edler, Myers, Hughes, Benn, or Stetcher are moving - that leaves Tanev and his 4 and a half mill cap hit for a guy that might play half a season.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
21 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'm pretty sure the reason Colorado traded Barrie instead of trying to re-sign him was because they believed he was going to simply go to the highest bidder chasing the biggest contract he could get. I don't think we'll be in a position to be one of the highest bidders next year and I don't think we should be. 

Unless he decides to give us a "hometown discount" like Benn did. But I agree, I wouldn't pay through the roof for him. If we didn't have Hughes I might consider it, but at this point it might be redundant, but you can't have too many good puck movers (at the right price).

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Harvard won the scrimmage 4-2, Rathbone with 4 points (1G, 3A).  He played on the top pairing and was in on every goal, scored a power play marker himself.  Harvard will start their season next Friday, also against Dartmouth.

Awesome, Way to go Jacky boy

• Like 1
21 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Harvard won the scrimmage 4-2, Rathbone with 4 points (1G, 3A).  He played on the top pairing and was in on every goal, scored a power play marker himself.  Harvard will start their season next Friday, also against Dartmouth.

Lotta Jacks on that team.

• Hydration 1
14 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

It will be interesting see if Rathbone leaves the NCAA this coming summer. He was basically a red shirt who is now 20 and will be 21 by next season. IMO it will be interesting to see how he transitions. Looks to me like competition for the D is going to be pretty formidable next Sept. Especially if we have Tryamkin back by then

6 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Whole lotta Jack.

I didn't notice that until you mentioned it, 4 Jacks in the lineup.  

Must go by last names lol.

On point, really interested in his season and his progression into being a pro, another kid I can't wait to see how he does at the next level.

Edited by Kosmo Kramer
20 hours ago, TGokou said:

Surprisingly little attention by CDC when Rathbone gets 4 pts in a game. People are definitely still sleeping on him. Yes it's not regular season game but 4 pts is impressive regardless of position. Perhaps playing behind Adam Fox last year was a blessing in that he learnt a lot from him.

He was impressive last season too, but was in Fox's shadow which put him under the radar there. Not sure how much he learned from Fox, but he's getting the opportunity to be the guy now and people will be surprised when he "comes out of nowhere".

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Rathbone is a gem. Absolutely phenomenal skater, great offensive instincts, rocket shot from the point,  and with +++ character.

Has also added a physical element to his game -- pretty good open-ice hitter.  They have him listed at 5'11 190.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2