Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, TGokou said:

There is definitely a difference in the quality of competition. Their league (ECAC) is a lesser league than hockey east which includes teams (Northeastern, Boston College and Boston University). There is a reason majority of the USNTP go to hockey east because it's a better league. What difference there is I cannot say but I wouldn't say the difference is too extreme.

Most NHLe calcs suggest a point in ECAC is “worth” roughly 3/4 of a point in Hockey East. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

I don't think we have to worry about Jack Rathbone's character or him bolting to free agency. This is the same guy that stayed home an extra year when he could have started his college career so he could be at home with his younger brother who needed the support. 

 

Great to hear he's off to a torrid start to the season! We got a gem.

He also stayed out of loyalty to his school:

Quote

“He’s a big piece of my life, and I’m going to be honest, it would be tough to leave him for seven months out of the year at this stage,” said Jack, the oldest of Jason and Beth Rathbone’s three children. “He’s probably my best friend. So being able to stay home, being able to complete my four years at Dexter — they took a financial risk on me and my sister (Jayne), we wouldn’t be able to afford an education there — being able to finish my four years and getting my diploma, that means a lot to me and my family.”

The Youngstown Phantoms had his rights at the time, he could've gone to the USHL but he didn't.  All in all, a classy kid.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GoldenAlien said:

He also stayed out of loyalty to his school:

The Youngstown Phantoms had his rights at the time, he could've gone to the USHL but he didn't.  All in all, a classy kid.

If Rathbone makes the NHL I wonder if their family will move to the west coast. It'd be difficult for Rathbone to make the trips out back east on a regular basis to see his brother.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BO_Scorvat said:

Anybody know if there's any news on whether he'll sign this year or the next?

Nothing out there yet. Harvard guys usually stay the 4 years but he did miss a year because he stayed in High School that extra year. I don't feel like there's a rush to sign him this year. If I had to guess, he'll probably go back for 1 more year after this and then sign in March of 2021... that will line up with Benn's contract expiring and he'll probably slot in that spot (third pair LD) for the 2021-2022 season. 

 

Most likely, we'll see the Canucks sign Tyler Madden and Will Lockwood this season. 

And Rathbone the following year. 

 

Though, I'd love to see Rathbone in a Canucks jersey by this March... we also have the potential return of Tryamkin blocking his pathway (Tryamkin's current deal ends this KHL season and in theory he could return for March as well)... so there's a lot of obstacles. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quantum said:

Nothing out there yet. Harvard guys usually stay the 4 years but he did miss a year because he stayed in High School that extra year. I don't feel like there's a rush to sign him this year. If I had to guess, he'll probably go back for 1 more year after this and then sign in March of 2021... that will line up with Benn's contract expiring and he'll probably slot in that spot (third pair LD) for the 2021-2022 season. 

 

Most likely, we'll see the Canucks sign Tyler Madden and Will Lockwood this season. 

And Rathbone the following year. 

 

Though, I'd love to see Rathbone in a Canucks jersey by this March... we also have the potential return of Tryamkin blocking his pathway (Tryamkin's current deal ends this KHL season and in theory he could return for March as well)... so there's a lot of obstacles. 

FYG Rathbone, a sophomore, has no declared major. It strikes me that he is not wild about academics. More likely to advance his athletic career than continue to study for an undeclared major. He's 20 years old and will be 21 by the end of the AHL season. If he  decides to stay that would make him 22 before he goes pro ie two years loss of earnings. It depends I would think on his capabilities if he jump to the NHL he'll do it if he's going to need to languish in the AHL then he might stay in the NCAA but for what reason if he's not working towards a academic based future 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BO_Scorvat said:

Anybody know if there's any news on whether he'll sign this year or the next?

I think at the end of this year, he'll have developed about as far as he can at this level of hockey and will be ready for a year in the AHL. Its not guaranteed, but I do think he'll sign next spring / summer.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

FYG Rathbone, a sophomore, has no declared major. It strikes me that he is not wild about academics. More likely to advance his athletic career than continue to study for an undeclared major. He's 20 years old and will be 21 by the end of the AHL season. If he  decides to stay that would make him 22 before he goes pro ie two years loss of earnings. It depends I would think on his capabilities if he jump to the NHL he'll do it if he's going to need to languish in the AHL then he might stay in the NCAA but for what reason if he's not working towards a academic based future 

Oh man, I had no idea about this. I assumed he had a declared major, especially going to Harvard. But that makes sense now. Now he could easily end up in Vancouver by March, definitely. He seems to be embracing a starring role on the Harvard team especially now with Adam Fox in the NHL. 

 

The question will be if all of Madden, Lockwood, and Rathbone sign in March. I believe the Canucks have 3 open contract slots so all could be signed. This would take Vancouver out of the NCAA free agency/CHL free agency races but it would be a win, developmentally, to sign 3 draft picks over 3 undrafted guys (although, I'm pretty high on Johnny Walker from Arizona State and hope the Canucks sign him, the kid is a stud, though he's an Arizona native and probably ends up with the Coyotes). 

 

It'll be an interesting March. 

 

But yeah, I still definitely see Rathbone as a future Canuck who'll likely make the team the year he signs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

FYG Rathbone, a sophomore, has no declared major. It strikes me that he is not wild about academics. More likely to advance his athletic career than continue to study for an undeclared major. He's 20 years old and will be 21 by the end of the AHL season. If he  decides to stay that would make him 22 before he goes pro ie two years loss of earnings. It depends I would think on his capabilities if he jump to the NHL he'll do it if he's going to need to languish in the AHL then he might stay in the NCAA but for what reason if he's not working towards a academic based future 

Given the current state of the University in relation to the workplace, Simply having the piece of paper with Harvard’s name on it is probably the equivalent of an in demand major from most other schools.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Quantum said:

Oh man, I had no idea about this. I assumed he had a declared major, especially going to Harvard. But that makes sense now. Now he could easily end up in Vancouver by March, definitely. He seems to be embracing a starring role on the Harvard team especially now with Adam Fox in the NHL. 

 

The question will be if all of Madden, Lockwood, and Rathbone sign in March. I believe the Canucks have 3 open contract slots so all could be signed. This would take Vancouver out of the NCAA free agency/CHL free agency races but it would be a win, developmentally, to sign 3 draft picks over 3 undrafted guys (although, I'm pretty high on Johnny Walker from Arizona State and hope the Canucks sign him, the kid is a stud, though he's an Arizona native and probably ends up with the Coyotes). 

 

It'll be an interesting March. 

 

But yeah, I still definitely see Rathbone as a future Canuck who'll likely make the team the year he signs. 

I know a johnny walker, and its on the rocks in my hand as we speak

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Quantum said:

Oh man, I had no idea about this. I assumed he had a declared major, especially going to Harvard. But that makes sense now. Now he could easily end up in Vancouver by March, definitely. He seems to be embracing a starring role on the Harvard team especially now with Adam Fox in the NHL. 

 

The question will be if all of Madden, Lockwood, and Rathbone sign in March. I believe the Canucks have 3 open contract slots so all could be signed. This would take Vancouver out of the NCAA free agency/CHL free agency races but it would be a win, developmentally, to sign 3 draft picks over 3 undrafted guys (although, I'm pretty high on Johnny Walker from Arizona State and hope the Canucks sign him, the kid is a stud, though he's an Arizona native and probably ends up with the Coyotes). 

 

It'll be an interesting March. 

 

But yeah, I still definitely see Rathbone as a future Canuck who'll likely make the team the year he signs. 

If I were to take a guess, Lockwood for sure, Rathbone, and Madden 50/50 but one of the two will sign, I'll have my chips on Rathbone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Given the current state of the University in relation to the workplace, Simply having the piece of paper with Harvard’s name on it is probably the equivalent of an in demand major from most other schools.

Here's a newsflash, few NCAA players with high expectation of a NHL future now stick it out to graduation. The odd one that wants to test FA but I'd think most choose to open the box and go for the guaranteed money. FYG not all graduates from an Ivy league schools rise to academic or financial stardom. In fact I'd like to know how many university graduates actually follow there academic prowess and speciality into a meaningful career, I know I've been served in bars and restaurants by many a uni grad. Experience trumps many degrees, Ivy League or not. If on the other hand you're a NCAA player of modest abilities yeah hang in there and look to your career and a university degree is a hunting license for job seekers

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Here's a newsflash, few NCAA players with high expectation of a NHL future now stick it out to graduation. The odd one that wants to test FA but I'd think most choose to open the box and go for the guaranteed money. FYG not all graduates from an Ivy league schools rise to academic or financial stardom. In fact I'd like to know how many university graduates actually follow there academic prowess and speciality into a meaningful career, I know I've been served in bars and restaurants by many a uni grad. Experience trumps many degrees, Ivy League or not. If on the other hand you're a NCAA player of modest abilities yeah hang in there and look to your career and a university degree is a hunting license for job seekers

Cool.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...