The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

7 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

So you really think Green will force a player to play the opposite side from where he is accustomed to playing? Even when his preferred side is the spot where our team and the league is shallowest? So which players did he force to do this?

None.  If you'd been paying attention you'd have noticed that for the past couple of seasons Green has nearly always played righties on the right side and lefties on the left, as long as he could find enough of each.  When a D has been injured over the past couple of seasons, it's almost always been a D who shoots the same side who has been called up (most recently, Chatfield when Tanev when down, etc.).

On 11/17/2019 at 5:58 PM, Bert Diesel said:

Tryamkin is a LD along with Rathbone. Right shot defenders continue to be a weakness in the prospect pool with only Rafferty and Woo looking legit. Woo has not been great so far this year either. Rathbone looking like a stud and tryamkin coming back could offset juolevi’s Injury woes long term.

Tryamkin spent most of his time with the Canucks as a right D even though he shoots left. When I saw those two great 150 foot passes from Rathbone in his last game, he made them from the right side boards at his goal line to the opposite side of the opposition's blue line - he also played RD at the summer training camp a couple of years ago - I think he's like Hughes in that his skating is so strong that the side doesn't matter.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

uugh, Avs lucky bastards.

They have a very smart GM - Burnaby Joe - he's damn near as clever as a GM as he was as a player.  I wonder how Toronto is doing with Barrie and how much Colorado appreciates Kadri (15 pts in 20 games as a checking centre you hate to play against).  Colorado might also be able to turn that third round pick into an asset as well.  Especially since Barrie was an expensive luxury with Makar in the kitchen and Byram in the oven.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

They have a very smart GM - Burnaby Joe - he's damn near as clever as a GM as he was as a player.  I wonder how Toronto is doing with Barrie and how much Colorado appreciates Kadri (15 pts in 20 games as a checking centre you hate to play against).  Colorado might also be able to turn that third round pick into an asset as well.  Especially since Barrie was an expensive luxury with Makar in the kitchen and Byram in the oven.

Sakic was going through the ringer in the media for like 8 months leading up to the Duchene trade. He waited until the season after his trade request to move him. They had one of the worst seasons in recent memory at that time as well. 

To be honest, the one person that deserves all the credit for the incredible turn around in Colorado is MacKinnon. I still think his 2017-18 is one of the best seasons by a player in recent memory for the way he single-handedly turned a franchise around by himself, similar to Karlsson's performance for Ottawa in the 2017 Playoffs. That Colorado team that finished last in the NHL traded away Duchene and MacKinnon still got them to the Playoffs. McDavid, as great as he is, still hasn't done that (although this could be the year it happens). He brought the best out of Rantanen and let him reach his ceiling while reviving Landeskog's play after a couple of down years. He was far and away the Hart trophy winner that year over Hall in my eyes. In an interview, he talked about how he got a sports psychologist before that year and how much it helped him. He was also watching Kucherov tear up the league, who was drafted a full round below him. Something clicked and he hasn't looked back. The effect that he had on an entire franchise by himself if truly mind boggling and I still don't think he get's enough credit for that. For me, he's an undisputed top 3 player in the league with Crosby and McDavid. 

Sakic had nothing to do with the actual turn around in Colorado, but he has done a fantastic job filling out the team now that MacKinnon has proven it's a worthwhile investment. He brought in a second line, filled out the team depth and added some high end pieces to the prospect pool in like 2 years while constantly having a large amount of cap space. They signed Rantanen for over 9 million this summer and still had way more cap space than us. They made a bunch of smart moves to bring in cheap, effective depth (emphasis on cheap) and essentially filled out the rest of the roster with players like Calvert, Donskoi, Kadri, Wilson, Burakovsky, Bellemare and Nieto. The most expensive player on that list is Kadri at 4.5M per, or essentially what we're paying Sutter. It doesn't matter if you're first or last in the league, you have to smart with your spending. 

This was way off topic for the Rathbone thread, sorry about that. Hopefully Rathbone continues his play in the NCAA for this year, signs in the summer and has a good year in the AHL next year. 

• Cheers 3

Is left shot Rathbone playing RD? From those last 2 quick videos he’s on the Right side of the ice. 

I agree Rathbone is another future stud on D for the Canucks.  I was a fan of his a few yrs back at the early summer prospect camp.

Anyone know when his college career is done so we can sign him? This season or next season? Be great if he’s on Utica for their playoff run....then camp next September fighting for a spot on Canucks if possible. I actually don’t see him starting as a full time Canuck until Edler or Benn retire. So what’s that 2 years away.

3 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Sakic was going through the ringer in the media for like 8 months leading up to the Duchene trade. He waited until the season after his trade request to move him. They had one of the worst seasons in recent memory at that time as well. 

To be honest, the one person that deserves all the credit for the incredible turn around in Colorado is MacKinnon. I still think his 2017-18 is one of the best seasons by a player in recent memory for the way he single-handedly turned a franchise around by himself, similar to Karlsson's performance for Ottawa in the 2017 Playoffs. That Colorado team that finished last in the NHL traded away Duchene and MacKinnon still got them to the Playoffs. McDavid, as great as he is, still hasn't done that (although this could be the year it happens). He brought the best out of Rantanen and let him reach his ceiling while reviving Landeskog's play after a couple of down years. He was far and away the Hart trophy winner that year over Hall in my eyes. In an interview, he talked about how he got a sports psychologist before that year and how much it helped him. He was also watching Kucherov tear up the league, who was drafted a full round below him. Something clicked and he hasn't looked back. The effect that he had on an entire franchise by himself if truly mind boggling and I still don't think he get's enough credit for that. For me, he's an undisputed top 3 player in the league with Crosby and McDavid. 

Sakic had nothing to do with the actual turn around in Colorado, but he has done a fantastic job filling out the team now that MacKinnon has proven it's a worthwhile investment. He brought in a second line, filled out the team depth and added some high end pieces to the prospect pool in like 2 years while constantly having a large amount of cap space. They signed Rantanen for over 9 million this summer and still had way more cap space than us. They made a bunch of smart moves to bring in cheap, effective depth (emphasis on cheap) and essentially filled out the rest of the roster with players like Calvert, Donskoi, Kadri, Wilson, Burakovsky, Bellemare and Nieto. The most expensive player on that list is Kadri at 4.5M per, or essentially what we're paying Sutter. It doesn't matter if you're first or last in the league, you have to smart with your spending. 

This was way off topic for the Rathbone thread, sorry about that. Hopefully Rathbone continues his play in the NCAA for this year, signs in the summer and has a good year in the AHL next year. 

Not much to disagree with except Rathbone might be good enough to make the leap if there is an injury to one our D that persists - and looking at the injury history of our crew in Vancouver that is distinctly possible.

15 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

If those two (Rathbone and Tryamkin) could play the right side it would certainly help to balance the depth chart. Rathbone's emergence in the propsect pool is huge and although I've been critical of the asset managment of the Canucks in the past few years, it's hard to deny that they seem to have a pretty solid track record overall at the draft. Even the guys that don't pan out seem to show strong improvements. I hope they continue to keep their picks for at least two more years to build up VAncouver and Utica. 

What is the dept chart looking like now considering resent event?

Left D:

Edler

Hughes

Benn

Brezzer

Sautner

Rathbone

the Tran man.

OJ

Teves

Right D:

Myers

Tanev

Stech

Raferty

Woo

Chatfield

I am no scout but this how I see it.  I am exited to see what Jack can become  I think Jack and Jett may make a nice 2nd pairing down the road.  I have ordered my picks based on what they could become.  What are your thoughts?

2 hours ago, dpn1 said:

What is the dept chart looking like now considering resent event?

Left D:

Edler

Hughes

Benn

Brezzer

Sautner

Rathbone

the Tran man.

OJ

Teves

Right D:

Myers

Tanev

Stech

Raferty

Woo

Chatfield

I am no scout but this how I see it.  I am exited to see what Jack can become  I think Jack and Jett may make a nice 2nd pairing down the road.  I have ordered my picks based on what they could become.  What are your thoughts?

So tough to rank players, especially Dmen, at varying stages of development. Personally, in terms of upside, I’d put Rathbone above most of the players outside maybe our top 4-6 roster Dmen and OJ. But will he reach that upside? Nearly impossible to know for sure.

I will say that in Jack’s draft year, among the few scouts who had really followed him and watched his games, most agreed he had first round potential, but would go later due to perception, especially as it pertained to the league he played in, and his D+1 intentions to remain with Dexter. Now, as Rathbone has entered into his sophomore year playing top pairing and 1PP for Harvard, and there are eyeballs on him every week, you see scouts saying he’s a legit top prospect, often the best player on the ice (for both teams), and really something special the Canucks have stashed away in their system.

So what’s he gonna be? Well, first we gotta sign the kid. I’m optimistic we will, just unsure of the timeline (hoping for next spring/summer). Then, we’ll see how he fares in his pro transition. At the moment, it’s hard to rank him above the kids than are already proving themselves capable AHL players and NHL depth options. But when Rathbone joins their ranks, I would expect him to quickly climb the ladder to become one of our top Dmen, outside of the active roster, and maybe eventually our best LHD after Quinn Hughes.

Of course, he could still bust or end up going free agent and signing somewhere else. I think the odds of both are fairly low, and the odds of the first are shrinking by the day. But we’ll have to wait and see. 

(EDIT: I know you asked for thoughts on ordering the D depth chart, but unfortunately, I just hate ranking prospects, generally avoid doing it, and tend to punk out whenever anyone asks me to make a list, so you get this post instead. :P)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Is left shot Rathbone playing RD? From those last 2 quick videos he’s on the Right side of the ice. 

I agree Rathbone is another future stud on D for the Canucks.  I was a fan of his a few yrs back at the early summer prospect camp.

Anyone know when his college career is done so we can sign him? This season or next season? Be great if he’s on Utica for their playoff run....then camp next September fighting for a spot on Canucks if possible. I actually don’t see him starting as a full time Canuck until Edler or Benn retire. So what’s that 2 years away.

Rathbone could stay in college for 2 more seasons if he so desires.If he wants to turn pro at the end of this season, and the Canucks offer him a contract, he could potentially be with the Canucks as early as the last few games of this season. Rathbone has previously indicated his desire to turn pro so I guess we will just have to wait and see.

To play with Utica he would have to sign an AHL contract to be eligible. This would mean he would not burn a year off his ELC and may not be very enticing to him.

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/18/2019 at 6:24 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Im not sure if you'd call Burnaby Joe very smart. Before the Duchesne trade, the fans were basically calling for his head, and was saved by the absolute robbery of that one trade.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Im not sure if you'd call Burnaby Joe very smart. Before the Duchesne trade, the fans were basically calling for his head, and was saved by the absolute robbery of that one trade.

So the fact that some fans were calling for his head is evidence to you that Burnaby Joe is not smart? Your statement says more about the intelligence of those fans and you than it does about Joe, who clearly is smart.

• Upvote 1

I don't see Jack signing with any one other than the Canucks.  Kid is a character guy and is also good friends with Thatcher Demko.  He is also friends with one of the guys that were drafted this year as well.  I think he plays a game or two at the end of this season and plays for the Comets in the playoffs.  I think he will be a solid 3/4 dman for many years to come.

• Upvote 3