The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

9 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

So the fact that some fans were calling for his head is evidence to you that Burnaby Joe is not smart? Your statement says more about the intelligence of those fans and you than it does about Joe, who clearly is smart.

They missed the playoffs 5 of the 6 years before the Duchesne trade, the fans had the right to be mad. By the way, I said " Im not sure if you'd call Burnaby Joe very smart",  I didn't say he wasn't . Smart yes, VERY smart, not too sure about that. Learn to read, dummy.

• Upvote 1

On November 18, 2019 at 9:44 PM, HockeyHarry said:

Is left shot Rathbone playing RD? From those last 2 quick videos he’s on the Right side of the ice. 

I agree Rathbone is another future stud on D for the Canucks.  I was a fan of his a few yrs back at the early summer prospect camp.

Anyone know when his college career is done so we can sign him? This season or next season? Be great if he’s on Utica for their playoff run....then camp next September fighting for a spot on Canucks if possible. I actually don’t see him starting as a full time Canuck until Edler or Benn retire. So what’s that 2 years away.

I think Vancouver will have Rathbone signed at end of his college year..This young man will be good....Already 7 points 5 games..

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/20/2019 at 1:57 AM, filthycanuck said:

Im not sure if you'd call Burnaby Joe very smart. Before the Duchesne trade, the fans were basically calling for his head, and was saved by the absolute robbery of that one trade.

But then you are assuming the fans are smart??? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On November 20, 2019 at 5:11 PM, filthycanuck said:

They missed the playoffs 5 of the 6 years before the Duchesne trade, the fans had the right to be mad. By the way, I said " Im not sure if you'd call Burnaby Joe very smart",  I didn't say he wasn't . Smart yes, VERY smart, not too sure about that. Learn to read, dummy.

Actually, my reading comprehension is just fine, thanks. But using the word "dummy" says even more about your intelligence.

• Haha 3

On 11/18/2019 at 6:56 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Sakic was going through the ringer in the media for like 8 months leading up to the Duchene trade. He waited until the season after his trade request to move him. They had one of the worst seasons in recent memory at that time as well. 

To be honest, the one person that deserves all the credit for the incredible turn around in Colorado is MacKinnon. I still think his 2017-18 is one of the best seasons by a player in recent memory for the way he single-handedly turned a franchise around by himself, similar to Karlsson's performance for Ottawa in the 2017 Playoffs. That Colorado team that finished last in the NHL traded away Duchene and MacKinnon still got them to the Playoffs. McDavid, as great as he is, still hasn't done that (although this could be the year it happens). He brought the best out of Rantanen and let him reach his ceiling while reviving Landeskog's play after a couple of down years. He was far and away the Hart trophy winner that year over Hall in my eyes. In an interview, he talked about how he got a sports psychologist before that year and how much it helped him. He was also watching Kucherov tear up the league, who was drafted a full round below him. Something clicked and he hasn't looked back. The effect that he had on an entire franchise by himself if truly mind boggling and I still don't think he get's enough credit for that. For me, he's an undisputed top 3 player in the league with Crosby and McDavid. 

Sakic had nothing to do with the actual turn around in Colorado, but he has done a fantastic job filling out the team now that MacKinnon has proven it's a worthwhile investment. He brought in a second line, filled out the team depth and added some high end pieces to the prospect pool in like 2 years while constantly having a large amount of cap space. They signed Rantanen for over 9 million this summer and still had way more cap space than us. They made a bunch of smart moves to bring in cheap, effective depth (emphasis on cheap) and essentially filled out the rest of the roster with players like Calvert, Donskoi, Kadri, Wilson, Burakovsky, Bellemare and Nieto. The most expensive player on that list is Kadri at 4.5M per, or essentially what we're paying Sutter. It doesn't matter if you're first or last in the league, you have to smart with your spending. 

This was way off topic for the Rathbone thread, sorry about that. Hopefully Rathbone continues his play in the NCAA for this year, signs in the summer and has a good year in the AHL next year. 

This answers anything that needs to be said on behalf of Sakic.  Fans are almost always too impatient, it takes guts for management and ownership to do the right thing.  In Vancouver, we are still paying the price for that impatience.
https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/team/joe-sakic

• Cheers 1