The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Simple answer is $$$$$. The sooner he can get through his ELC, the sooner he starts making serious money.

I'd also wager that he'd be betting on himself that why'll he certainly could, and likely will start in Utica, he'd look at playing well enough to earn at the very least a few injury call ups, and possibly even show well enough to earn a spot later in this season whether by trades, injury etc.

Harvard degree is $$$$$

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

Harvard degree is $$$$$

My guess is that if he signs he would make a minimum of $162,000 / year. Even if he starts out in the AHL, he would get a minimum $70,000 AHL salary plus the standard $92,500 signing bonus. I doubt that he could make that much per year fresh out of college. If he absolutely rocks it in training camp; he would be making around a million per year not including any performance bonuses he might achieve.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

My guess is that if he signs he would make a minimum of $162,000 / year. Even if he starts out in the AHL, he would get a minimum $70,000 AHL salary plus the standard $92,500 signing bonus. I doubt that he could make that much per year fresh out of college. If he absolutely rocks it in training camp; he would be making around a million per year not including any performance bonuses he might achieve.

An average NHL career is like 10 years a personal career could be a lot longer, I’m not saying he can’t combo the 2 together but staying in Harvard for 1 more year has some appealing factors

Vesey played in Harvard and stayed the full four years.  
Alex Killorn played the full four years.  

Alex Kerfoot played the full four years.  

Ryan Donato played three years.  

Criscuolo hasn't established himself yet at the NHL, but played the full four years. 

So @aGENT , I think it's wishful thinking on your part to believe that he'll leave Harvard early and go play in Utica, but stranger things have happened. 

17 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

He’s not going to make our team this year or next, so why wouldn’t he stay in Harvard for an extra year? 

Harvard > Utica , IMO 

My money’s on that

I think there is going to be a fascinating competition this fall in Vancouver. We will lose a player in the expansion - that might be a defenceman. There are a couple of guys looking for new contracts; Tanev and Stetcher, I believe - Vancouver could possibly walk from one or both depending on the demands. Vancouver may desire an upgrade on Fantenburg. Vancouver did not grant a guaranteed contract to Edler, which, I understand, might imply that they may not protect him - relying on his age and wage to protect their continued possession of his rights. But it is possible that Seattle could still take him - depending on their needs, and requirement to meet the cap floor. 

On the other hand are some very interesting prospects: Rafferty, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Rathbone, and even possibly, Woo. I won’t address the virtues of Rafferty and Juolevi.  Rathbone has a reputation as a very sound defensive defenceman who is a point a game player. He is a fine skater, who has a rocket of a shot and makes great outlets and long passes. His production is not too far off Makar’s second year production, nor the second year production of Quinn Hughes (point a game) in college.  His size is pretty much identical with Makar at 5’11 190. Stetcher and Tanev made the NHL directly out of college, so why not Rathbone who is more heralded than they?  Like Stetcher and Tanev, he brings, to all accounts, a strong defensive game while adding great offensive characteristics. He has the kind of character that you find in Boeser - a young man of strong loyalty and integrity, that used a year of his development to serve a purpose that he valued more:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-2017-draft-pick-jack-rathbone-autistic-brother

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

An average NHL career is like 10 years a personal career could be a lot longer, I’m not saying he can’t combo the 2 together but staying in Harvard for 1 more year has some appealing factors

I think if you take a closer look as the average is more around 5 years.  Taking players that have played 100 games or more. :)

Edited by dpn1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

I fully expect that if he does sign this year, he will continue finishing his college education during the off season and get his degree as well as play hockey. He would then have the best of both worlds. Even if a hockey career does not pan out for him the money he would make in his 2 or 3 years of an entry level contract would go a long way towards setting him up for a career out of hockey.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I think if you take a closer look as the average is more around 5 years.  Taking players that have played 100 games or more. :)

Okay a good NHL career, but saying that makes me think even making the NHL at any point is good. But still 1 year of college at Harvard is big to most people

• Cheers 1

This is his second year at Harvard so if he wants to go pro this coming season he has to sign with us.  We drafted him and hold hid rights.  If he wants to go play somewhere other than Vancouver, he will need to wait 2 more years.

1 minute ago, dpn1 said:

This is his second year at Harvard so if he wants to go pro this coming season he has to sign with us.  We drafted him and hold hid rights.  If he wants to go play somewhere other than Vancouver, he will need to wait 2 more years.

I think someone posted earlier that because he started his college career later, he could be UFA as soon as the end of next season and not necessarily finish his college degree first.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think someone posted earlier that because he started his college career later, he could be UFA as soon as the end of next season and not necessarily finish his college degree first.

I would really like to see an official statement on his situation but he has a good friendship with Demko so I think he will sign here.

Yeah he was very thankful of how we supported his choice to stay home in his D+1 season to be with his brother before starting his college career.

I have little to no doubts he'll sign here after his college season ends. And zero doubt he will go to free agency unless for some reason Benning decides not to sign him (grand larceny, murder... being a leafs fan).

12 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I am reading Curtis Joseph's bio book. He played one year of collegiate hockey and then went pro with the St. Louis Blues. One of the deciding factors in going pro was the risk of injury either ending his pro ambitions or at a minimum shortening his pro career. What we tend to forget with these kids is that they have seen team mates through their climb up thru the ranks fall by the wayside because of injury. Any player would be foolish if he did not recognize that his next shift could be his last. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I am reading Curtis Joseph's bio book. He played one year of collegiate hockey and then went pro with the St. Louis Blues. One of the deciding factors in going pro was the risk of injury either ending his pro ambitions or at a minimum shortening his pro career. What we tend to forget with these kids is that they have seen team mates through their climb up thru the ranks fall by the wayside because of injury. Any player would be foolish if he did not recognize that his next shift could be his last. 

I don't think I could play hockey and worry always about whether I would get hurt.  I didn't play CHL or BCHL but I did play for the U of A and really didn't think about getting hurt.  I think more about it now with all the extra pain from old injuries.  :)

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I understand everything you are saying and see CuJo's point - and I don't disagree with it at all. 

But I suspect there are many, many guys that while they could give up their scholarships to pursue pro-hockey, don't because they know their chances aren't very good at making a career and they lose their scholarships if they leave school.  These guys, as you indicate, have seen their teammates/friends/relatives leave school, try going pro, don't make it, then be left with no career and no education, and they don't write books about their experiences in the end.  Then they have to pay their way through school themselves - if they even go back.  I recognize there are differences between what we consider high-end prospects and guys that don't even get drafted.  All I guess I'm saying is that there are two sides to every story and each person needs to choose their own path.