The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yup passing looked very good, very crisp, vision looked good. He's got the smarts to know what to do with the puck quickly. Didn't see the bomb in the part of the game I saw but his puck skills stood out. 

Perhaps illness is it as I had heard prior he had near elite level skating. Very small sample on my part, but there was a few shifts it didn't look quite there (even tho that rush was very impressive). Just being honest about what I saw, its not to rag on the kid. :) Excited to see him in the next game. 

I haven't seen too much of Rathbone so take this with a grain of salt but from what I've seen his overall skating isn't elite but his straight ahead speed is what shines. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Does he plan on going pro or staying in College this year?

I don't think we're in much of a rush to have him this or next season but curious.

He's been quoted as 'wanting to turn pro as soon as he's ready'.

Later this season/summer is a real possibility but it's not impossible he does another year.

Just now, aGENT said:

Later this season/summer is a real possibility but it's not impossible he does another year.

No biggie if he doesn't this year. We've got guys like Juolevi, Brisebois and maybe Tryamkin(I know he may be capable on RD) to see on the left side to see where they are at.

Left side will consist of Hughes and Edler taking up most of the time next year too. After Edler's contract he'll be 35 and perhaps regressing. He'll probably sign another short term deal. That'll be a good time to ease someone into a top 4 role to take over Edler's responsibilities. Candidates being maybe OJ, maybe Tryamkin, maybe Rathbone. Good depth to have.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

No biggie if he doesn't this year. We've got guys like Juolevi, Brisebois and maybe Tryamkin(I know he may be capable on RD) to see on the left side to see where they are at.

Left side will consist of Hughes and Edler taking up most of the time next year too. After Edler's contract he'll be 35 and perhaps regressing. He'll probably sign another short term deal. That'll be a good time to ease someone into a top 4 role to take over Edler's responsibilities. Candidates being maybe OJ, maybe Tryamkin, maybe Rathbone. Good depth to have.

Yeah, I could see Rathbone replace whoever graduates from Utica next year. A couple of Juolevi, Rafferty and Brisebois are likely to see a lot of time with the big club next year IMO.

Then he'd likely see a couple cups of coffee with injuries (assuming he translates). 

Could turn out a lot of people are sleeping on him. 

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I could see Rathbone replace whoever graduates from Utica next year. A couple of Juolevi, Rafferty and Brisebois are likely to see a lot of time with the big club next year IMO.

Then he'd likely see a couple cups of coffee with injuries (assuming he translates). 

Could turn out a lot of people are sleeping on him. 

The organization is in a good place with how the prospects are not too far off. Especially with the defense. Not a lot of u20 guys but the ones we have look like gamers in Pod and Hog.

I would love for us to ship Eriksson and maybe someone else (Baer/Sutter) off to ANA(who said they'd take bad contracts) and try to pry a player from there. We can afford to give up more picks right now and at their stage that's what they're probably looking for. I can imagine how much better we'd be with a Rakell on the team. Even Getzlaf for a year if they retain 50%.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Don't forget that he potentially becomes a free agent if he plays another season. If he foregoes his senior year  he would become a UFA  because he did not attend college his first year of eligibility.

12 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Don't forget that he potentially becomes a free agent if he plays another season. If he foregoes his senior year  he would become a UFA  because he did not attend college his first year of eligibility.

:bored:

21 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The organization is in a good place with how the prospects are not too far off. Especially with the defense. Not a lot of u20 guys but the ones we have look like gamers in Pod and Hog.

I would love for us to ship Eriksson and maybe someone else (Baer/Sutter) off to ANA(who said they'd take bad contracts) and try to pry a player from there. We can afford to give up more picks right now and at their stage that's what they're probably looking for. I can imagine how much better we'd be with a Rakell on the team. Even Getzlaf for a year if they retain 50%.

Gaudette + Baer for Rakell...?

20 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

There's really no need to be scared of him leaving for another team.  It's as unreasonable as assuming that your significant other will cheat on you in the future.  

Yes, it has happened, but the odds are very small.  More then 95% of the players sign with the team that's drafted them, and we are one of the more desireable locations right now. 

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Gaudette + Baer for Rakell...?

It'll probably cost us at least one guy promising Gaud/Juolevi for Rakell. His contract is amazing for what he brings. Former 30G scorer and plays a two-way game.

I'd try to attach Eriksson and give them a few early round picks in return as well and a Madden/Woo. If we do that we could then re-sign Pearson next year too if we wanted.

Top 6 of 

Miller-Petey-Boes

Pearson-Horvat-Rakell

would be hard to match up against

Something like 

Eriksson

Baertschi

Juolevi/Gaud          If they take Gaud give them Woo if they Take Juolevi give them Madden.

Woo/Madden

2020 2nd, 3rd

for 

Rakell

Rights to Devin Shore

Down the line when Pod/Hogs establish themselves Rakell/Pearson/Miller would be expendable.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Say ... just curious .... The Nucks are in Boston getting ready to play the Bruins at the same time as the prelim games for The Beanpot for Northeastern, Harvard, BU and BC. Seems natural that Jimbo and the rest of the braintrust would go scout Rathbone, Madden, etc. And it would be a great opportunity for the Nucks to get all the prospects together to watch the Bruins-Canucks game.   Any news of this happening?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, boomer29 said:

Say ... just curious .... The Nucks are in Boston getting ready to play the Bruins at the same time as the prelim games for The Beanpot for Northeastern, Harvard, BU and BC. Seems natural that Jimbo and the rest of the braintrust would go scout Rathbone, Madden, etc. And it would be a great opportunity for the Nucks to get all the prospects together to watch the Bruins-Canucks game.   Any news of this happening?

Jim Benning gave permission for Gaudette to attend yesterday's game. There's no doubt some Canucks brass would be there.

Hopefully we can get him signed & started in Utica for next season.

Not sure I'd be expecting much more than a bottom pair/fringe NHLer until we see how he handles the pro game (I'm thinking Mike Rielly who was a touted OFD w/ similar profile), but there's definitely a chance we have a player here if he continues on this development path.

Getting him into Utica is the first step.

8 hours ago, boomer29 said:

The players would need to buy their own tickets to the game we cant even give them a hat.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Jim Benning gave permission for Gaudette to attend yesterday's game. There's no doubt some Canucks brass would be there.

If the rest of the team was in Boston, why wouldn't they go to the game if they want to?