The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

14 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Two more primary assists for Rathbone tonight:

He’s up to 25 points (6G + 19A) in 23 games. 

How common is it for D-men to finish with a point-per-game or greater rate down in the college circuit?

Edited by Qwags

53 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

When does the season wrap up?

Their last regular season game is February 29th.

The Regionals (if they make it)are as follows:

Regionals | March March 27 - 29, 2020
Regionals for the NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship will be held March 27 - 29 at 4 locations. At each site, 4 teams will compete in single-elimination Regional Semifinal competition. The 2 winning teams will then compete against each other in single-elimination Regional Final competition at the same site. The winning team from each of the 4 Regionals will advance to the Frozen Four in Detroit, Mich.

Then the Frozen Four is April 9th - 11th.

As of this week, Harvard is ranked 20th in the nation so they may, or may not, make the Regionals.

The Regional participants will be announced as follows:

Selection Show | March 22, 2020
The NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey Championship bracket will be announced Sunday, March 22, time and network to be announced. 

So, I would say we would not know if Rathbone will be available to us this year until at least March 22nd.

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

PPG in college is impressive for any player. It seems to be a pretty good bar for determining if a prospect is NHL caliber (depending on their play style of course) so to have a defenseman scoring at that rate in his 2nd year (3rd year age wise) is definitely promising.

Plus, good character and plays a solid 200ft game as has been well discussed here.

Are there any comparables that had similar numbers to Rathbone at this point in their career?

35 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Are there any comparables that had similar numbers to Rathbone at this point in their career?

I think Adam Fox is an interesting comparable, as they were teammates at Harvard last season.  Adam Fox is playing for the Rangers this season and is doing very well as an NHL rookie.  In his 3rd and final year at Harvard, Fox had 48 points in 33 games and was a plus 23.  Fox currently has 31 points in 60 games with the Rangers, while being plus 14.

Rathbone is a year younger than Fox, but played an extra year in college prep., so this current year for Rathbone (year 2) is comparable to Fox’s 3rd year at Harvard.  The difference being that Fox had 3 years of playing against college students, while Rathbone has had 2 years of playing against college students.

11 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

He is about the same ppg as Quinn Hughes in his second year of college

And he’s got a bit of s mean streak too.  This kid is going to be in our top four in 2 seasons.  He’s a very good player.  Another excellent pick by Brackett. 

8 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Some notable NHL player stats in their 2nd NCAA year include

1. Justin Schultz - 47 points in 41 games at Wisconsin

2. Quinn Hughes - 33 points in 32 games at Michigan

3. Adam Fox - 28 points in 29 games at Harvard

4. Torey Krug - 28 points in 38 games at Michigan State

5. Kevin Shattenkirk - 28 points in 43 games at Boston University

6.Jaccob Slavin - 17 points in 34 games at Colorado College

7. Zach Werenski - 36 points in 36 games at Michigan

8. Will Butcher - 32 points in 39 games at University of Denver

9. Shane Gostisbehere - 26 points in 36 games at Union College

10. Cale Makar - 49 points in 41 games at UMass (Amherst)

To date, Jack Rathbone has 25 points in 23 games at Harvard.

While he is in his 2nd year technically he should be in his 3rd year. He delayed going to college to remain close to his family. It’s just while he’s in his 2nd year like the players you’ve mentioned he’s a year older and in some cases 2 years older than some of the players.

• Upvote 1

I know some have been high on Rathbone for some time. I personally haven't been keeping tabs on him, but man - he is in some very good company at this stage in his career.

At one point I was rather worried about our only high end defensive prospect being OJ as I somehow am not that confident Woo will be a strong NHL player, but with Rafferty making waves and now Rathbone doing so well, I don't really see our defensive prospect pool as a problem anymore.

Truly, guys... I've watched Canucks hockey for 3 decades now, and I have never seen our team draft and sign anywhere remotely close to the level we are seeing over JB's tenure.

While I understand and agree with Benning's use of picks to bring in Miller and TT, it sure would have been interesting to see what other gems he and Brackett could have found. Thats OK - we picked up two great players who are as good (if not likely better) than what the draft would bring, without the required development time, no less. Sure hope we find a way to re-sign TT.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

While he is in his 2nd year technically he should be in his 3rd year. He delayed going to college to remain close to his family. It’s just while he’s in his 2nd year like the players you’ve mentioned he’s a year older and in some cases 2 years older than some of the players.

And he is also scoring at a higher rate than some of these players did in their 3rd year of college. He was only older than Werenski by 2 years and 7most he is less than a year older For example, he is 7 months older than Makar was in his 2nd year

Edited by Rick Blight

6 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

And he is also scoring at a higher rate than some of these players did in their 3rd year of college. He was only older than Werenski by 2 years and most he is less than a year older For example, he is 5 months older than Makar was in his 2nd year

I wasn’t trying to take away anything he’s done and the excitement should be there with Rathbone because he’s a great prospect. Just wanted to point out that Rathbones 2nd year should be compared to his peers 3rd years. By doing that it has them closer in age by him waiting another year to go to college.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

I know some have been high on Rathbone for some time. I personally haven't been keeping tabs on him, but man - he is in some very good company at this stage in his career.

At one point I was rather worried about our only high end defensive prospect being OJ as I somehow am not that confident Woo will be a strong NHL player, but with Rafferty making waves and now Rathbone doing so well, I don't really see our defensive prospect pool as a problem anymore.

Truly, guys... I've watched Canucks hockey for 3 decades now, and I have never seen our team draft and sign anywhere remotely close to the level we are seeing over JB's tenure.

While I understand and agree with Benning's use of picks to bring in Miller and TT, it sure would have been interesting to see what other gems he and Brackett could have found. Thats OK - we picked up two great players who are as good (if not likely better) than what the draft would bring, without the required development time, no less. Sure hope we find a way to re-sign TT.

Its a very good time to be a canuck fan. Gone were the days were CDCers were attached to guys like Alex Mallet, Alex Grenier, Matt Beatie, Dane Fox, etc. pencilling them in the roster. Now its a pick'em since we have so many high end prospects, seems like theres a new guy making it to the team. Benning and Co. one thing they do is draft extremely well. Even if we don't have 1st and 2nd picks, I have no doubt they'll come away with some talent in this years draft. Doesn't matter where they were drafted, as long as they have a legit shot at making it to the bigs

13 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Some notable NHL player stats in their 2nd NCAA year include

1. Justin Schultz - 47 points in 41 games at Wisconsin

2. Quinn Hughes - 33 points in 32 games at Michigan

3. Adam Fox - 28 points in 29 games at Harvard

4. Torey Krug - 28 points in 38 games at Michigan State

5. Kevin Shattenkirk - 28 points in 43 games at Boston University

6.Jaccob Slavin - 17 points in 34 games at Colorado College

7. Zach Werenski - 36 points in 36 games at Michigan

8. Will Butcher - 32 points in 39 games at University of Denver

9. Shane Gostisbehere - 26 points in 36 games at Union College

10. Cale Makar - 49 points in 41 games at UMass (Amherst)

To date, Jack Rathbone has 25 points in 23 games at Harvard.

I’ll take any of those names above, but really hoping is Hughes 2.0

15 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Adam Fox also played for Harvard. In his second year he had 27 points in 28 games. In his third year, he had 48 points in 33 games. Rathbone also plays for Harvard and is his second year. This year, Fox is 31 points in 61 games for the Rangers. Fox is 5’11 180, Rathbone is 5’11 190. Rathbone has a rep of being better defensively than Fox. Since they played on the same team last year, meaningful comparison is possible. But, will Rathbone develop at the same rate as Fox, will his game translate to the NHL - will he get the opportunity that Fox did? Who knows, it’s beyond me, but it would be interesting to see. Hopefully, he will be at the Young Stars in Penticton in September - a great time to get a read on him.