The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

30 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Harvard will qualify for the ECAC tournament, which is happening in March. They’d probably need to win that tourney to actually advance to the regionals for the National tournament, since they aren’t a top-20 team and won’t qualify on their rankings. So most likely they’ll be done sometime mid-to-late March (not sure the ECAC schedule this year) and won’t see Frozen Four action this April.

TL;DR: they aren’t done this weekend. 

Ok, Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense. 

40 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Harvard will qualify for the ECAC tournament, which is happening in March. They’d probably need to win that tourney to actually advance to the regionals for the National tournament, since they aren’t a top-20 team and won’t qualify on their rankings. So most likely they’ll be done sometime mid-to-late March (not sure the ECAC schedule this year) and won’t see Frozen Four action this April.

TL;DR: they aren’t done this weekend. 

So what’s the earliest we could sign Bone and get him here?  

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So what’s the earliest we could sign Bone and get him here?  

Looking at the standings and ECAC tournament schedule, it's hard to say. The next regular season game vs Rensselaer is important. If they win, they get a first round buy in the tournament and play Mar13-15. If they lose, then pending results of the last games of the season, they could have to play in the first round Mar 6-8. Of course, if they keep winning, then the last championship game is Mar 21.

Probably somewhere between 2-4 weeks away? And then, he may decide to continue at Harvard too. I think he's probably good enough to make our roster right now.

55 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Are we actually signing him this season or are we letting him develop for another year?

Nobody will know anything for certain until it happens. But most indications point to him signing (and likely spending a year in Utica).

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

Nobody will know anything for certain until it happens. But most indications point to him signing (and likely spending a year in Utica).

It’s interesting this year in Utica, impervious years usually three, sometimes four of the defencemen were not Vancouver picks - they were Utica signings. This year we can ice the whole defensive lineup:

Brisebois  Rafferty

Juolevi  Chatfield

Teves. Sautner

with Eliot for good measure.  Adding Rathbone to the list will be amazing, if we also add Woo, it will be a wealth of riches for defensive prospects.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Considering some of the ignorant comments we see in Tram's thread, apparently it is. Like, "D'uh, are you guys still obsessing over that guy? You know he's never coming back, he hates Vancouver cuz it stinks of pot. And he's useless anyway, don't you know he's just a 3rd pairing Dman in an inferior league."

Tree's legendary status is safe regardless of any amount of derision. I am more conservative in my appraisal of his merits and stay clear of even the mild/troll like vitriol you see on these boards from time to time. But this discussion needs to be moved to the proper thread!

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm not so sure about that. I put it 80/20 that he makes the jump directly to the Canucks. Our NCAA players seem more mature and ready for such jump. Not so much with the CHL players. I'll reference Stecher, Hughes, Boeser, and Gaudette as recent examples. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

I'm not so sure about that. I put it 80/20 that he makes the jump directly to the Canucks. Our NCAA players seem more mature and ready for such jump. Not so much with the CHL players. I'll reference Stecher, Hughes, Boeser, and Gaudette as recent examples. 

Sure... but we've also got an incoming Tryamkin, Rafferty, OJ and Brisebois fighting for likely only a couple spots. And as good as he's been, he could likely use a bit of time acclimating to the pros in Utica (likely taking over Rafferty's 1D role in Utica/one of the first call up options).

But by all means I'm happy to have him 'Stecher' the situation and force his way on if it happens. Still likely starts in Utica though until injury or trades make room, just as Troy did.

Particularly as I have his rights in fantasy ::D

I know Greener probably won't try it...at least for the first year or 2 but I want to see Rathbone play with Hughes...and quarterback the 2nd PP.

I know they are small but if you have the puck all the time...it doesn't matter how big you are...those 2 together with EP should provide some on ice weeping by the opposition....especially on there way to and from the penalty box...shouldn't need to sit there long...

6 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I know Greener probably won't try it...at least for the first year or 2 but I want to see Rathbone play with Hughes...and quarterback the 2nd PP.

I know they are small but if you have the puck all the time...it doesn't matter how big you are...those 2 together with EP should provide some on ice weeping by the opposition....especially on there way to and from the penalty box...shouldn't need to sit there long...

Rathbone isn't that small.  5' 11" and I think he is a solid 190 lb.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Sure... but we've also got an incoming Tryamkin, Rafferty, OJ and Brisebois fighting for likely only a couple spots. And as good as he's been, he could likely use a bit of time acclimating to the pros in Utica (likely taking over Rafferty's 1D role in Utica/one of the first call up options).

But by all means I'm happy to have him 'Stecher' the situation and force his way on if it happens. Still likely starts in Utica though until injury or trades make room, just as Troy did.

I guess so? Stecher played a whole 4 games for Utica before making the jump. I won't be surprised to see that again soon.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Im was going to pick either Rafferty or Rathbone in my fantasy pool this summer. I’m so conflicted. Gotta think Raff plays next year and Rath the year after?

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

It’s interesting this year in Utica, impervious years usually three, sometimes four of the defencemen were not Vancouver picks - they were Utica signings. This year we can ice the whole defensive lineup:

Brisebois  Rafferty

Juolevi  Chatfield

Teves. Sautner

with Eliot for good measure.  Adding Rathbone to the list will be amazing, if we also add Woo, it will be a wealth of riches for defensive prospects.

Woo is already signed, so when his season ends, I can't imagine the Canucks not telling him to report to Utica, unless there's an injury issue.

• Like 2