The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Interesting, last year Quinn Hughes had 33 points in 32 games. Rathbone 28 points in 26. Both Sophomores. Dare we hope that Rathbone is another special player.

Again, hate to be nit picky but he spent an extra year in high school. 

Can’t wait to get Rathbone over! 

With Benn and Fantenberg being underwhelming this year, Rathbone has a real shot at getting onto the 3rd pairing next year.  If Tryamkin returns or Juolevi miraculously improves, that could push him down to Utica, but we'll see whether either of those things actually happen.  Imho, it's just as likely that Rathbone shows that he can provide solid defensive coverage, with better puck-moving and offense.  We still get hemmed into our own zone way too much and routinely flub outlet passes.  The 3LD spot is waiting for anyone who has the skating, passing, and play-reading skills to cut down on those screw-ups. 

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

With Benn and Fantenberg being underwhelming this year, Rathbone has a real shot at getting onto the 3rd pairing next year.  If Tryamkin returns or Juolevi miraculously improves, that could push him down to Utica, but we'll see whether either of those things actually happen.  Imho, it's just as likely that Rathbone shows that he can provide solid defensive coverage, with better puck-moving and offense.  We still get hemmed into our own zone way too much and routinely flub outlet passes.  The 3LD spot is waiting for anyone who has the skating, passing, and play-reading skills to cut down on those screw-ups. 

Fantenberg has been pretty good for a 850k addition. Benn, I was expecting more from.

I don't think Rathbone will get a shot in Vancouver this season, unless we have a better buffer on a playoff spot. I really think we sign him when his season completes, but most likely to play in Utica.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Fantenberg has been pretty good for a 850k addition. Benn, I was expecting more from.

I don't think Rathbone will get a shot in Vancouver this season, unless we have a better buffer on a playoff spot. I really think we sign him when his season completes, but most likely to play in Utica.

1.1 mill doesn't get you much of a defenseman anymore...

Just now, 73 Percent said:

I thought benn was. Apparently hes at 2 mill. Still I dont think you could expect anything great for that price.

Yeah, even worse.

I have a feeling that our defense plays out as follows for next season:

Benn - moved in off season

Tanev - Signs in Toronto

Barrie - Signs here

Stecher - Traded at draft

Tryamkin - Signs in Vancouver again

Fantenberg - Signs in Vancouver - good depth guy

New pairings: (in no particular order)

Tryamkin/Hughes

Edler/Myers

Barrie/Juolevi

Fantenberg

I think they will give Rathbone and Woo time in Utica.

First call ups - Rafferty, Brisebois

This is just my best guess on how they do this.

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yeah, even worse.

I have a feeling that our defense plays out as follows for next season:

Benn - moved in off season

Tanev - Signs in Toronto

Barrie - Signs here

Stecher - Traded at draft

Tryamkin - Signs in Vancouver again

Fantenberg - Signs in Vancouver - good depth guy

New pairings: (in no particular order)

Tryamkin/Hughes

Edler/Myers

Barrie/Juolevi

Fantenberg

I think they will give Rathbone and Woo time in Utica.

First call ups - Rafferty, Brisebois

This is just my best guess on how they do this.

I think you could be very close to accurate in the additions and subtractions.  If so our pairings may be:

Edler Barrie

Hughes Tryamkin

Joulevi Myers

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I am looking forward to seeing a paring of Rathbone and Raferty in Utica at the end of his season.  Both can skate like the wind.

That interesting. I would normally think Rathbone being offensive would be paired with a Stay at home D partner and a righty at that.

but Rathbone did have a great year last season paired up with Fox whos also Offensive. So a Pairing at Utica could work with Righty Offensive Raferty.

I would like too see that Pairing.

• Thanks 1

Rathbone looks like a clone of Huggy Bear.  Bone and Bear.  Bear and Bone.  What a duo.  Imagine how our PP is gonna look, not to mention 3 on 3 overtime.

Bring Bone in and sign Edmundson in the summer as a UFA.  Sign Tryamkin and bring up Rafferty.  Trade Boeser for Parayko...

Hughes         Parayko

Rathbone      Tryamkin

Edmundson   Rafferty

That D gives me goosebumps...

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rathbone looks like a clone of Huggy Bear.  Bone and Bear.  Bear and Bone.  What a duo.  Imagine how our PP is gonna look, not to mention 3 on 3 overtime.

Bring Bone in and sign Edmundson in the summer as a UFA.  Sign Tryamkin and bring up Rafferty.  Trade Boeser for Parayko...

Hughes         Parayko

Rathbone      Tryamkin

Edmundson   Rafferty

That D gives me goosebumps...

That d core looks completely filthy, I take it you are expecting the defense to replace brock goals though we are already having a hard time put it in the net without him

8 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

That d core looks completely filthy, I take it you are expecting the defense to replace brock goals though we are already having a hard time put it in the net without him

We re-sign Toffoli and bring up Kole Lind.  The year after we will have Hoglander and Podkolzin.  Podkolzin is gonna be a beast.  We may hurt a bit next year goal wise but if we re-sign Markstrom and bring in that D core we won't need to score as many goals.  Only problem with my plan is how to get rid of Myers.  I'm sure he has some trade value.  

59 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We re-sign Toffoli and bring up Kole Lind.  The year after we will have Hoglander and Podkolzin.  Podkolzin is gonna be a beast.  We may hurt a bit next year goal wise but if we re-sign Markstrom and bring in that D core we won't need to score as many goals.  Only problem with my plan is how to get rid of Myers.  I'm sure he has some trade value.  

Honestly the only way I’d ever give up brock is for a proven young d man that going to clock some good minutes. Miro heskanenin might also be another good one but unfortunately neither team would trade that for brock