The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

That d core looks completely filthy, I take it you are expecting the defense to replace brock goals though we are already having a hard time put it in the net without him

We're 9th in the league in goals per game.

Also no way we get Parayko for Boeser

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Have to wait for SEA expansion for that one IMO.

I doubt Seattle would take him. Unless they needed to draft players to hit the cap floor. It’s a possibility.  We will need to see how the summer plays out. Signing Marky, signing Tryamkin, possibly signing Toffoli which may trigger a Boeser trade. Lots of moving targets. And we may have a new head coach as well if we miss the playoffs and Francesco goes on a firing spree. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I doubt Seattle would take him. Unless they needed to draft players to hit the cap floor. It’s a possibility.  We will need to see how the summer plays out. Signing Marky, signing Tryamkin, possibly signing Toffoli which may trigger a Boeser trade. Lots of moving targets. And we have a new head coach as well if we miss the playoffs and Francesco goes on a firing spree. 

I think Aquilini would fire Green and JB together.  One goes they both do.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think Aquilini would fire Green and JB together.  One goes they both do.  

Benning’s job is safe. He’s delivered a team that should make the playoffs. Even went out and traded future assets to get Toffoli to give us a better chance without Brock in the lineup. The last 3 games were all about coaching and soft goals by Demko. This team would be much better with a coach who could teach defence. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I doubt Seattle would take him. Unless they needed to draft players to hit the cap floor. It’s a possibility.  We will need to see how the summer plays out. Signing Marky, signing Tryamkin, possibly signing Toffoli which may trigger a Boeser trade. Lots of moving targets. And we may have a new head coach as well if we miss the playoffs and Francesco goes on a firing spree. 

He's a second pair D on a reasonable deal. We're not likely to have better available short of possibly a goalie (and Demko could be traded next year once Marky signs).

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning’s job is safe. He’s delivered a team that should make the playoffs. Even went out and traded future assets to get Toffoli to give us a better chance without Brock in the lineup. The last 3 games were all about coaching and soft goals by Demko. This team would be much better with a coach who could teach defence. 

I've been on the "fire Green" bandwagon but now IMO maybe we just need a better assistant coach with a better defensive system. Someone that can take our defense group to the next level.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Other than Hughes, the teams dmen are 25-32yrs.  NHL is not a developmental league.  A coach shouldn't have to teach defence.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Other than Hughes, the teams dmen are 25-32yrs.  NHL is not a developmental league.  A coach shouldn't have to teach defence.

I disagree slightly. Defense can be taught but it is on the player to learn as much, if not more, than the coaches to teach. Mainly has to do with forwards though.

Gaud and Virtanen can definitely round out their games, especially Gaud if we're set at him on 3rd line C.

Defenseman are different though so you're not necessarily wrong.

Also team structure/defense is a lot on the coaches as well but that's going more in depth with it.

53 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

No not necessarily teach defence. It’s more about the system they are playing. Green man system is obviously not working. It’s like football. Some teams play man to man and some play zone defense. If you are playing man to man you better have the horses to cover guys one on one. 

Defence is also about the forward group. It’s not just the defencemen. It’s a team game. Like I said we probably need a new system. A guy like Gallant could perhaps do much better with this team. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

I've been on the "fire Green" bandwagon but now IMO maybe we just need a better assistant coach with a better defensive system. Someone that can take our defense group to the next level.

Head coach is responsible for the entire staff 

they all need to go

On 3/3/2020 at 2:41 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Maybe what we really need is experienced assistants. I think Greener is still well green. I wonder how much of the Fire Green lovers would be around if he had a more experienced coaches around him and there were slightly better results. Because let’s face it the team isn’t a real contender, they were a maybe playoffs maybe not. What would a so called better coach gotten out of the group 6-8 more points?

On 3/1/2020 at 5:25 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Yeah, even worse.

I have a feeling that our defense plays out as follows for next season:

Benn - moved in off season

Tanev - Signs in Toronto

Barrie - Signs here

Stecher - Traded at draft

Tryamkin - Signs in Vancouver again

Fantenberg - Signs in Vancouver - good depth guy

New pairings: (in no particular order)

Tryamkin/Hughes

Edler/Myers

Barrie/Juolevi

Fantenberg

I think they will give Rathbone and Woo time in Utica.

First call ups - Rafferty, Brisebois

This is just my best guess on how they do this.

Barrie signs here?  Way too expensive and he would be useless for us. We have PP QB in Hughes, We don’t need to be a second rate version of Toronto loaded up with Prima donnas that can’t defend. We need a defender with some truculence and we already have him in our organization. It is about time other teams found running our goalies an act fraught with peril. It is about time that the front of our net was defended with enough vigour to make it the last place on earth opposing forwards had an interest in challenging. It is about time we crushed opposing forwards as they cross our blue line - these are all things that player has already done in Vancouver. On top of which he can play the game. Then we have Rathbone and Rafferty - depending on whether you need a right or left shooting puck mover.  All of those players come with a reasonable cap hit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/3/2020 at 5:59 PM, Blömqvist said:

Bring in Larry Robinson for 3 years, let Baumgartner go.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Barrie signs here?  Way too expensive and he would be useless for us. We have PP QB in Hughes, We don’t need to be a second rate version of Toronto loaded up with Prima donnas that can’t defend. We need a defender with some truculence and we already have him in our organization. It is about time other teams found running our goalies an act fraught with peril. It is about time that the front of our net was defended with enough vigour to make it the last place on earth opposing forwards had an interest in challenging. It is about time we crushed opposing forwards as they cross our blue line - these are all things that player has already done in Vancouver. On top of which he can play the game. Then we have Rathbone and Rafferty - depending on whether you need a right or left shooting puck mover.  All of those players come with a reasonable cap hit.

I'm saying what I "think" will happen, I'm not saying that I think it's a good idea. 

I think Barrie wants to be here, and I think Benning wants him here.

We'll see July 1st, if I'm right.

10 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I agree signing Berrie  would be at least 6.5 x 4 years would not be good.....We have Hughes but we need a solid younger D man like Dumba more then Barrie.

Sign Toffoli 4 yrs x 5 million.....solid 200 foot player, 30 goal guy.. More complete player then Boser

Trade Boser to Minn------ Dumba, 26, solid #2 D man every team needs, he will replace Tanev...

Trade Stetcher at draft---- 3rd pick

Trade Tanev at draft ---- late 2nd rounder

Sign Markstrom  4 yrs x 5.7 million.  Clause for 10 team trade list..

Sign Jake power forward 4 yrs x 3.5 million.. Every playoff team need big guy like Jake... 22-25 goal guy... Speed, exciting, has more to show.

Gaudette -- 3 yrs x 2.5 show me more deal

Lievo --- 2 yrs x 2 million, gritty big player top 9 player

Motte -- 2 yrs x 1.2 

MacEwen - Big 6'4,  gritty player will drop gloves has speed -  one way deal 1 million  per x 2 yrs

Trade one of these guys Beagle or Sutter---- 4th rounder

Think about future of Demko? Possibly trade as one of the goalies have to be moved before expansion..Return late 1st rounder and prospect.                 Dipietro ready for backup 2021 season

Might need a tough D man to protect Hughes?Josh Manson type guy...Cant have guys taking cheap shots on super star Hughes..

Miller- Pettersson - Toffoli

Pearson- Horvat - Jake  ( Ferland)

Lievo - Gaudette - Roussel 

MacEwen - Beagle - Motte    ( Trade Sutter or Beagle)

Dumba - Hughes

Meyers - Edler

Fantenber - Rafferty

Benn - Juolevi

Future is exciting with core young guys and prospect pool makes it very exciting...

Benning and group have done good ... Grade - B

Podkoizen,19,6'1 power forward - Hoglander, Lind, Gadjovich---  D guys -- Woo, Juolevi, Rathbone, Briesbois - G Dipietro

Markstrom -  ( Demko  -  possible trade before April 2021

Edited by wildcam

22 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree signing Berrie  would be at least 6.5 x 4 years would not be good.....We have Hughes but we need a solid younger D man like Dumba more then Barrie.

If we do sign Barrie, I hope he ends up being something closer to this years 'Gardiner' for the contract...:unsure:

We don't need a 'Dumba', we already have a better, younger, less injury plagued version in Hughes. What we do need is a 'Suter' to Hughes' 'Dumba'. A 'Seabrook' to his 'Keith'. We find that via trade IMO.

19 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I've said before, he's not ready for the NHL, I think people are setting unrealistic expectations (as usual), that he's going to jump straight into the NHL and make an impact. However, I'm not sure if he's going to learn much else playing at that level, or if he would be better playing top 4 minutes in Utica and QB'ing the powerplay. Personally, I think he needs a higher level of competition now for development.