The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I've said before, he's not ready for the NHL, I think people are setting unrealistic expectations (as usual), that he's going to jump straight into the NHL and make an impact. However, I'm not sure if he's going to learn much else playing at that level, or if he would be better playing top 4 minutes in Utica and QB'ing the powerplay. Personally, I think he needs a higher level of competition now for development.

NHL ready? No, likely not. But like you, I think he'd be better served playing in Utica next year, adjusting to pro and getting a few call ups to practice with and learn from the big boys.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

NHL ready? No, likely not. But like you, I think he'd be better served playing in Utica next year, adjusting to pro and getting a few call ups to practice with and learn from the big boys.

Bone would right now be our fourth best D man.  He’s ready and will be on our team after his current season in college is over.  

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

If we do sign Barrie, I hope he ends up being something closer to this years 'Gardiner' for the contract...:unsure:

We don't need a 'Dumba', we already have a better, younger, less injury plagued version in Hughes. What we do need is a 'Suter' to Hughes' 'Dumba'. A 'Seabrook' to his 'Keith'. We find that via trade IMO.

Sorry disagree with you..Dumba is a # 2 D man he plays over 22 mins a game, solid guy....Minnesota has a very good top 4 D core and Dumba is there #2 guy...

Go look around The D core is key to this Minnesota team..

Who are the better younger D man on Vancouver???? Canucks only have 2 player on there roster younger then Dumba 26,  Hughes 20 and Stetcher 25 ..

Hughes is amazing best D man ever to play in Vancouver..Stetcher is a #5 D man, like the grit Stetcher plays with..

Have to trade Tanev after season is over 30 yrs old and alway injured ..Tanev will also want 4 yrs x 5 million

So We need solid D man to replace Tanev...

Need Dumba 26, Minn or Severson 25, New Jersey -- Trade Boser for one of these very good D men...

Have to give up something good to get a solid #2 D guy..

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Sorry disagree with you..Dumba is a # 2 D man he plays over 22 mins a game, solid guy....Minnesota has a very good top 4 D core and Dumba is there #2 guy...

Who are the better younger D man on Vancouver???? Canucks only have 2 player on there roster younger then Dumba 26,  Hughes 20 and Stetcher 25 ..

Hughes is amazing best D man ever to play in Vancouver..Stetcher is a #5 D man, like the grit Stetcher plays with..

Have to trade Tanev after season is over 30 yrs old and alway injured ..Tanev will also want 4 yrs x 5 million

So We need solid D man to replace Tanev...

Need Dumba 26, Minn or Severson 25, New Jersey -- Trade Boser for one of these very good D men...

JB would be a moron to trade Bess for Dumbo.  Dumbo is not much better than Stecher 5 on 5.  He can fly, and that’s it. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

If we do sign Barrie, I hope he ends up being something closer to this years 'Gardiner' for the contract...:unsure:

We don't need a 'Dumba', we already have a better, younger, less injury plagued version in Hughes.

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

What we do need is a 'Suter' to Hughes' 'Dumba'. A 'Seabrook' to his 'Keith'. We find that via trade IMO.

Maybe try re-reading that chief ;)

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

And he plays great D.

Is Rathbone playing another season in Harvard? I would think Benning and group would be trying to sign him to a pro contract....

Very exciting young player drafted in 4th round of draft..

Edited by wildcam

7 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Is Rathbone playing another season in Harvard? I would think Benning and group would be trying to sign him to a pro contract....

Very exciting young player drafted in 4th round of draft..

What’s amazing is that Benning has found first round talents in later rounds like Rathbone, Gaudette, DiPietro etc.  Not elite first round talents but equivalent of mid first round talents I believe.

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

What’s amazing is that Benning has found first round talents in later rounds like Rathbone, Gaudette, DiPietro etc.  Not elite first round talents but equivalent of mid first round talents I believe.

Remains to be seen.  Could be second round talent or could even be elite first round talent.  Might take a few more years to find out.  I certainly see some parallels between Gaud and Horvat.  

• Cheers 1

On 3/6/2020 at 2:41 PM, Alflives said:

Bone would right now be our fourth best D man.  He’s ready and will be on our team after his current season in college is over.  

20 yr old Jack Rathbone 2nd year...………...games 27        goals 7      assists 22     points 29     PM 16       +/-  - 3

19 yr old Adam Fox 2nd year...………………games 29        goals 6      assists 22     points 28     PM  12      +/-  +3

.....Note* Adam Fox is 15 months older, so 3 months older in their 2nd year

So, I would think Rathbone's 2nd year was better than Fox's 2nd year, who had a young Rathbone as his defensive partner his second year., if Benning thinks that Now, signing him this year is a risk, but if Benning thinks that Rathbone is the real deal, then he should sign him to a one way deal...bottom end type, which is a risk, but would help us long run with cap, "IF" he is ready. Big risk, big reward.

Again, "IF" Benning believes that Rathbone is the real deal, it opens up, other options with OJ. I would note, that in either case, "IF" either Rathbone or Juolevi make the big club, our need will be for an aggressive 3rd pairing LHD, as you just can not have a defense full of smurfs. Note...…..that defenseman 200 lbs or under, will not handle the aggressive riggers of a physical playoff series if everyone is of the same ilk, unless surrounded by bigger guys. I see both Rathbone and OJ, being those types...….Rathbone more to that extent.

In saying that, I have not a clue whether Rathbone or OJ are bonified 2nd pairing LHD at the NHL level. That is what we pay Benning for, so I await his decision. But I pray he makes the right decision on it. Seeing NYR's having the problem of figuring what to do with their RHD riches (Trouba, Deagelo, Fox and Lundqvist), is a problem I would like us to have.

Certainly, in NYR's case, it will allow them some very nice options. when moving 1 or 2 of them...…...again, I would like to have that problem.

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

20 yr old Jack Rathbone 2nd year...………...games 27        goals 7      assists 22     points 29     PM 16       +/-  - 3

20 yr old Adam Fox 2nd year...………………games 29        goals 6      assists 22     points 28     PM  12      +/-  +3

.....Note* Adam Fox is 15 months older, so 3 months older in their 2nd year

So, I would think Rathbone's 2nd year was better than Fox's 2nd year, who had a young Rathbone as his defensive partner his second year., if Benning thinks that Now, signing him this year is a risk, but if Benning thinks that Rathbone is the real deal, then he should sign him to a one way deal...bottom end type, which is a risk, but would help us long run with cap, "IF" he is ready. Big risk, big reward.

Again, "IF" Benning believes that Rathbone is the real deal, it opens up, other options with OJ. I would note, that in either case, "IF" either Rathbone or Juolevi make the big club, our need will be for an aggressive 3rd pairing LHD, as you just can not have a defense full of smurfs. Note...…..that defenseman 200 lbs or under, will not handle the aggressive riggers of a physical playoff series if everyone is of the same ilk, unless surrounded by bigger guys. I see both Rathbone and OJ, being those types...….Rathbone more to that extent.

In saying that, I have not a clue whether Rathbone or OJ are bonified 2nd pairing LHD at the NHL level. That is what we pay Benning for, so I await his decision. But I pray he makes the right decision on it. Seeing NYR's having the problem of figuring what to do with their RHD riches (Trouba, Deagelo, Fox and Lundqvist), is a problem I would like us to have.

Certainly, in NYR's case, it will allow them some very nice options. when moving 1 or 2 of them...…...again, I would like to have that problem.

If comparing their 2nd years in college, Fox was 19 years old when he started that season and turned 20 in February whereas Rathbone had already turned 20 in May of his 2nd year. Rathbone started his college career a year later. So if you want to compare based on age, then Rathbone's 2nd (current) year is compared to Fox's 3rd year. If you want to look at the 2nd seasons in college then Fox was much younger.

I think I read that if he plays another year of college that he hits UFA after next season, so surely there will be the panic over this, but I think Rathbone has a good head on his shoulders that he will sign with the team that committed to him. I'm not concerned if he stays another year. With that said, if he does sign, I think he could use a year or two (partial year) in Utica before making the jump full time.

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

If comparing their 2nd years in college, Fox was 19 years old when he started that season and turned 20 in February whereas Rathbone had already turned 20 in May of his 2nd year. Rathbone started his college career a year later. So if you want to compare based on age, then Rathbone's 2nd (current) year is compared to Fox's 3rd year. If you want to look at the 2nd seasons in college then Fox was much younger.

I think I read that if he plays another year of college that he hits UFA after next season, so surely there will be the panic over this, but I think Rathbone has a good head on his shoulders that he will sign with the team that committed to him. I'm not concerned if he stays another year. With that said, if he does sign, I think he could use a year or two (partial year) in Utica before making the jump full time.

Haha

Yes, that is the retired guy in me, that actually did not give it enough thought and for some reason thought it was still Feb.

Your point!

I still think he will be a good one...….keep in mind that Fox's season came with Rathbone on his Left side

I am not sure Rathbone has the same luxury …...I understand you were just pointing out my error in reasoning.....

It is a good point

18 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Haha

Yes, that is the retired guy in me, that actually did not give it enough thought and for some reason thought it was still Feb.

Your point!

I still think he will be a good one...….keep in mind that Fox's season came with Rathbone on his Left side

I am not sure Rathbone has the same luxury …...I understand you were just pointing out my error in reasoning.....

It is a good point

I believe his partner is Reilly Walsh and he doesn't seem like he's a slouch. Not to take anything away from Rathbone who is indeed excellent himself. I think we have the luxury to let him develop a year in Utica to try and get the best out of him when he hopefully is a full time regular on the big club.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The shots per game stat is particularly impressive to me because it likely means he can get his shot through defenders or at least create space for himself to shoot when often being pressured. If you can get the shot through, even if you don't score, it will create havoc around the net given that there's traffic there.