The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

I am going to put it this way............

"IF" Benning and the scouting services feel that Rathbone has 1st pairing or 2nd pairing potential, and he is close to reaching his ceiling, as a prospect, than IMO, Benning needs to go real hard after Rathbone as soon as the seasons over. This might mean guaranteed spot or guaranteed money or a larger than average bonus.

But from what I have seen, I sure would not let him play his last year of college if I could convince him to come now.

I am personally afraid of the "FOX" factor and how Fox engineered his eventual landing on the NYR team. Keep in mind NYR need a good LHD prospect

It might be nothing, but it is my fear.

Edited by janisahockeynut

30 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

"IF" Benning and the scouting services feel that Rathbone has 1st pairing or 2nd pairing potential, and he is close to reaching his ceiling, as a prospect, than IMO, Benning needs to go real hard after Rathbone as soon as the seasons over. This might mean guaranteed spot or guaranteed money or a larger than average bonus.

But from what I have seen, I sure would not let him play his last year of college if I could convince him to come now.

I am personally afraid of the "FOX" factor and how Fox engineered his eventual landing on the NYR team. Keep in mind NYR need a good LHD prospect

We couldn't convince Cagguila to sign here despite Boeser and Stecher here. We couldn't convince Aston-Reese to sign despite Gaudette here. I doubt Rathbone is suddenly that close to Fox after one season together.

Rathbone technically is eligible for two more years of college hockey I believe. However he could hit UFA after next season.

We committed to him when many teams glossed over him for not going to college right away. We have made an effort to draft players with good character. Guys like Gaudette and Lockwood have always said they would sign with the team that believed in them and drafted them. I suspect Rathbone would be of the same mold. We also drafted Aidan McDonagh who apparently was a childhood friend of Rathbone too.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We couldn't convince Cagguila to sign here despite Boeser and Stecher here. We couldn't convince Aston-Reese to sign despite Gaudette here. I doubt Rathbone is suddenly that close to Fox after one season together.

Rathbone technically is eligible for two more years of college hockey I believe. However he could hit UFA after next season.

We committed to him when many teams glossed over him for not going to college right away. We have made an effort to draft players with good character. Guys like Gaudette and Lockwood have always said they would sign with the team that believed in them and drafted them. I suspect Rathbone would be of the same mold. We also drafted Aidan McDonagh who apparently was a childhood friend of Rathbone too.

I would rather be wrong and you right!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

30 other teams also couldn't convince those guys, calm down.  This happens. 

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Everyone is always afraid of this with college picks, but it SELDOM happens, one every few years.

My guess is, Rathbone will turn pro this spring as he needs to start facing a higher degree of competition. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Everyone is always afraid of this with college picks, but it SELDOM happens, one every few years.

My guess is, Rathbone will turn pro this spring as he needs to start facing a higher degree of competition. 

You know Vegas......I am always a little nervous with NCAA guys, but him playing at Harvard and how prestige that school is, and the fact that Fox was such a AH

It just puts a little more edge to my nervousness............

I always worry about the good ones....just me, I will be fine!

Thanks......

I am sure you are right!

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Plus, he’s good enough to be on our team right away.  We could really use him.  

He very well, might be, Alf, he looks great out there, looking forward to seeing how he handles better competition, but his skating, shot and moves are all NHL quality.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dpn1 said:

Kid looks big out there.  Hits hard too.  He and Woo would be a great 2nd pairing.:towel:

Yeah, he’s listed at 176, but I read last year that he is actually 5’11 and 190 which watching him play makes a lot more sense since he seems pretty robust.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

I frequently walk around terrified of a shark attack too! 

When I was a kid I used to worry about sharks when I swam in the ocean. I eventually got over it, but then last summer a couple of orcas wandered into the swimming area chasing some seals, and now I have something new to worry about.

• Haha 1

It's gonna be difficult for him to leave his brother. Another year of college delays his need to leave.  Tough call for a young man.  Looking at the map of NHL teams there are quite a few a lot closer. Vancouver is basically as far as it gets away from his family.  At least Utica is fairly close it may help him to sign and buys him another year.

• Cheers 1