The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

3 hours ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

I like his game more than Juolevi's.

This could be the Adam Gaudette of D-men prospects for us

Very Dynamic and likes to take control and rush the puck. Massive for today's NHL game.

Very exciting hearing he wants to make an impact right off the bat in his freshman year.

If juloevi was playing against high schools guys would that be a fairer comparisons? Not being critical i just havw trouble comparing apples to apples with this sort of stuff. He obviously stands out amongst his peers though.  

53 minutes ago, austy said:

If juloevi was playing against high schools guys would that be a fairer comparisons? Not being critical i just havw trouble comparing apples to apples with this sort of stuff. He obviously stands out amongst his peers though.  

Ya I read that and am hoping he's referring to the different styles of play in each of there games, not quality of prospect. But who knows

2 hours ago, austy said:

With Rathbone, I can see with some development time some elite qualities in his game. Love how he wants to be the main guy and rush the puck up the ice. Not only does he have the potential to play a highly effective game but also an exciting playstyle.

I love my d-men to be elite skaters with an offensive flair to their game.

Rathbone might take 2-3 years but I see his ceiling higher than Juolevi's and in 2-3 years it won't surprise me if he is held in higher regard.

I just see Juolevi and Rathbone as different type of players that would each compliment each others game. Juolevi has elite IQ the ability to slow the game down and make elite level passes. I see Juolevi as a first line defence man who needs to be paired with a dynamic puck moving offensively skilled defence man. Rathbone could be our guy. Would be great if he was. If Rathbone makes a rush Juolevi will quietly stay back and make the smart play for the team. You need both types of players for a well rounded team.  

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I just see Juolevi and Rathbone as different type of players that would each compliment each others game. Juolevi has elite IQ the ability to slow the game down and make elite level passes. I see Juolevi as a first line defence man who needs to be paired with a dynamic puck moving offensively skilled defence man. Rathbone could be our guy. Would be great if he was. If Rathbone makes a rush Juolevi will quietly stay back and make the smart play for the team. You need both types of players for a well rounded team.  

Mete got a lot of press last year playing on the other side of Joulevi. When it came down to crunch time Joulevi's TOI increased and he was given more free reign in the ozone. He responded well and scored 4 goals in the MemCup, I believe. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

How does he compare to Cale Makar?

I mean they’re both shifty, skates really well and have great stick skills. Right now it’s hard to gauge what he can be because Rathbone is playing against weak competition. However in highlights the kid looks fantastic and that’s enough to get excited about regardless of which league he’s currently in. We should be able to get a better comparison between the two when he’s tested next year in college hockey. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's been quite a few days since Jack and his team have played in a while, but it didn't take him long to hit the scoresheet

Also, his stats through 21 games (tonight's game is #22) have been updated:

5G, 13A for 18 points 

Side note: His teammate John Farinacci (2019 eligible) has a quite impressive stat line (20-20-40)

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, GrizzlyAdams said:

It's been quite a few days since Jack and his team have played in a while, but it didn't take him long to hit the scoresheet

Also, his stats through 21 games (tonight's game is #22) have been updated:

5G, 13A for 18 points 

Side note: His teammate John Farinacci (2019 eligible) has a quite impressive stat line (20-20-40)

I think he missed 10 or 11 of those games as well (injury), so 18 points through ~10GP.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think he missed 10 or 11 of those games as well (injury), so 18 points through ~10GP.

very true I totally forgot about that.

the stats site seems fairly amateur so it wouldn't surprise me if they get a minor detail like that mixed up.

not complaining though since it's impossible to find stuff on him any other way :P

4 minutes ago, GrizzlyAdams said:

very true I totally forgot about that.

the stats site seems fairly amateur so it wouldn't surprise me if they get a minor detail like that mixed up.

not complaining though since it's impossible to find stuff on him any other way :P

I think that site just autopopulates the team GP for each player’s individual GP, so it just assumes every player has played the full season’s games.

I might go through the box scores and tally up his totals later, assuming I have time and feel like a very boring math task. ;) 

It's always nice to hear of his progress considering the whole US highschool league to be kind of a vacuum of information. If he has 18 points in 10 games that seems pretty impressive and it'll be interesting to see how this all translates to NCAA next year. Keeping my fingers crossed that he will be one of those surprise players where you suddenly take notice.

Seems like its been impossible for anyone to find out accurate information on this kid. Id almost like to see someone question Benning or Brackett on how he's doing this year.

Looking forward to seeing him make the transition to the NCAA next year. Hopefully he stands out and has a good rookie year.