The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Don’t think this got posted yet (it’s from a couple weeks back):

Elite skater, modern puck moving defenseman style, big time offensive producer, team leader, character player, and has “some bite” to his game.

Yes please. 

When can he get here? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sedinery33 said:

He's committed to Harvard (I believe) next year, so depending on how he values his education 2 - 4 years I would assume

Yeah, we’re going to need to be patient with Rathbone. But hopefully he proves to be worth the wait. The stats update on the previous page certainly suggests he might be (both in terms of his individual numbers and his overall team effect).

EDIT: An extended look at Rathbone’s updated 2017-18 numbers (current as of yesterday) can be found here:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

If Rathbone ever gets to his 3rd-4th year of NCAA status and will be an NHL player I can't see him shunning the Canucks. He has the qualities that suggest he is loyal to his family and team. Plus the Canucks will make sure him and his family feel right at home.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, we’re going to need to be patient with Rathbone. But hopefully he proves to be worth the wait. The stats update on the previous page certainly suggests he might be (both in terms of his individual numbers and his overall team effect).

EDIT: An extended look at Rathbone’s updated 2017-18 numbers (current as of yesterday) can be found here:

The scouting report on him is amazing... Smooth skater, canon of a shot, has some bite. So what's the knock on him? How come he fell to the 4th round? Is it his size?

4 minutes ago, TGokou said:

If Rathbone ever gets to his 3rd-4th year of NCAA status and will be an NHL player I can't see him shunning the Canucks. He has the qualities that suggest he is loyal to his family and team. Plus the Canucks will make sure him and his family feel right at home.

Agreed. There’s really no questioning this kid’s level of character and loyalty. The only way I could see him holding out and refusing to sign with us is if the team treated him really poorly, which just isn’t going to happen. If Rathbone develops as well as we hope, he will be wearing Canucks colours when he enters the league.

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Don’t think this got posted yet (it’s from a couple weeks back):

Elite skater, modern puck moving defenseman style, big time offensive producer, team leader, character player, and has “some bite” to his game.

Yes please. 

When his high school season is over, can he play in a different league, like the NCAA, for the remainder of the season?

2 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

The scouting report on him is amazing... Smooth skater, canon of a shot, has some bite. So what's the knock on him? How come he fell to the 4th round? Is it his size?

What I’ve heard is that it was as simple as the league he plays in. People “in the know” have said that, had Rathbone been playing in a major junior league, he might very well have been a 1st or 2nd round pick.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

When his high school season is over, can he play in a different league, like the NCAA, for the remainder of the season?

Yeah, I’m not sure of the scheduling but last year he played some games for a USHL team and he may get that opportunity again. He’ll also be back with that Cape Cod Whalers team in the spring for the USA Hockey National Tournament (I believe early April). They were the Massachusetts Tier-1 champs (where Jack had two goals to power the team to a 4-3 win in the November state final) and will be the regional entry in the national championship.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

What I’ve heard is that it was as simple as the league he plays in. People “in the know” have said that, had Rathbone been playing in a major junior league, he might very well have been a 1st or 2nd round pick.

I'm surprised we got him, Bob McKenzie had him ranked about 20 spots or so higher than where we got him.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm surprised we got him, Bob McKenzie had him ranked about 20 spots or so higher than where we got him.  

I've only seen short snippets of this guy's play, but he's something special.  We've never had a dman with his talents.  He will be our first true star dman.

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Agreed. There’s really no questioning this kid’s level of character and loyalty. The only way I could see him holding out and refusing to sign with us is if the team treated him really poorly, which just isn’t going to happen. If Rathbone develops as well as we hope, he will be wearing Canucks colours when he enters the league.

Now that the GM who drafted him will still be in Van when he can sign a contract all is good!  :)  Can you think of any other GM in the league who is as disarming and more of a father figure than Jim Benning? He and Linden are straight shooters and it exudes out of them. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I've only seen short snippets of this guy's play, but he's something special.  We've never had a dman with his talents.  He will be our first true star dman.

I like your optimism. Maybe he'll make his first appearance during a cup run like Tanev did ^_^

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yeah, there’ve been a few of the “good hockey mind” types that were very complimentary of the pick and continue to be quite high on Rathbone’s potential. He’s flying under the radar right now, but he could become one of the centrepieces of our emerging group of young talent coming online in a few years.

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Now that the GM who drafted him will still be in Van when he can sign a contract all is good!  :)  Can you think of any other GM in the league who is as disarming and more of a father figure than Jim Benning? He and Linden are straight shooters and it exudes out of them. 

Definitely seems to be one of Benning and Linden’s strengths. There’s something to be said for the “aw shucks” type of nice guys. Especially when we’re drafting a lot of good kids from good families where that type of stuff carries weight (there are certainly no Hodgson Sr. types of parents that I know of right now with this prospect pool). We definitely seem to be building a future team that will have its fair share of guys that can be counted on to display character and class on and off the ice (even if Palmu likes his endangered fish and Jake sometimes gets a little carried away on social media ;)).

Typos
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, there’ve been a few of the “good hockey mind” types that were very complimentary of the pick and continue to be quite high on Rathbone’s potential. He’s flying under the radar right now, but he could become one of the centrepieces of our emerging group of young talent coming online in a few years.

He's the kind of guy, like Makar last year, who could have been a top pick if he played in the BCHL.  The league the kid plays in now is on par with the BCHL, but doesn't get the same respect from scouts.  That will change over time though, as guys like Rathbone become NHL superstars and lead their teams to multiple Stanley CUPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He's the kind of guy, like Makar last year, who could have been a top pick if he played in the BCHL.  The league the kid plays in now is on par with the BCHL, but doesn't get the same respect from scouts.  That will change over time though, as guys like Rathbone become NHL superstars and lead their teams to multiple Stanley CUPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

We can thank Judd Brackett for pushing hard for this kid. :)

• Like 1