The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kristoffer Gunnarsson | D

Adarsh Sant

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Isn't Cederholm coming to play in North America this year and compete for a job?

Yeah, that's what I've been reading. He's still under ELC with the Canucks, and apparently his mobility has gotten a little better this year playing over in Europe.

Hopefully he can crack Utica, should he actually decide to give it another go over here.

Hard to get a read on how much upside this kid has. I can't say I've watched him play all that much (or at least don't remember him from the games I have watched). Obviously he's defensively minded and has been since early in his career. So the stats don't offer much information. 

I do like that he's played internationally. And he's been used up and down the lineup, from first pairing to a spare, by Sweden's U20 team. Seems like he's a guy their staff felt comfortable plugging into the lineup as needed and knowing what they'd get from him.

Also encouraged by him getting around a dozen SHL games each of the last couple years, and also getting into the playoffs for Frölunda last season (albeit at limited minutes). But he's seen enough ice at Sweden's top level to suggest their scouting system sees decent value in him.

He might very well pan out as a solid defensive D with size and physicality. Which definitely isn't a bad thing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Derp... said:

Not the fancy stats prince, but better than I expected to be honest.

Wonder if the percentage is based on his SHL games played? Apparently he has zero matches from Allsvenskan.

Doesnt really matter, given that players of his type (defensive minded with basically zero production) don't really work well in the models.

Have to assume our Swedish scouts watched a lot of him and liked what they saw. 

14 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If he can hit I like him already. We have a lot of agitators in the league now that need this remedy.

From what I've seen of him, he can definitely hit. Might even be a tad overzealous at times (and has faced some discipline for illegal checks IIRC). So he probably has a "predatory" aspect to him. Not that he's necessarily dirty or anything (although some fans of opposing teams have claimed this). More that he looks for contact and hits to hurt.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Kronwall without the offense?

I'll take that.

So many cheap shot artist out there I'll take him and Biega on the 3rd pairing for full body checking. Plus I don't think we have any bona fide body checkers on our forwards since Biega.

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

From what I've seen of him, he can definitely hit. Might even be a tad overzealous at times (and has faced some discipline for illegal checks IIRC). So he probably has a "predatory" aspect to him. Not that he's necessarily dirty or anything (although some fans of opposing teams have claimed this). More that he looks for contact and hits to hurt.

Nice to have another Cederholm in the pipeline.

Edited by Hutton Wink

27 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

If those are 45s, that's a pretty strong boy right there.  Like Cederholm, is he also not averse to fisticuffs when necessary, and if so any good at it?

On that (fighting) I've got no idea. I've done some digging into Swedish articles and game reports (just because there's not a lot of info available on this kid) but haven't seen a fight come up with Gunnarsson.

11 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

So many cheap shot artist out there I'll take him and Biega on the 3rd pairing for full body checking. Plus I don't think we have any bona fide body checkers on our forwards since Biega.

I just wish Biega or the new coach can pass on the art of taking the body to Hutton - it's his only real weakness and why he gets taken on the inside so much.

• Upvote 1

Yes Hutton is a bit of a tweener in style.Some high level skill and a fair physical presence. But not one dominant attribute. Who would be his comparison to model his game towards. Maybe he needs to work on his speed like Horvat too.

On 6/26/2017 at 5:06 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

Yes Hutton is a bit of a tweener in style.Some high level skill and a fair physical presence. But not one dominant attribute. Who would be his comparison to model his game towards. Maybe he needs to work on his speed like Horvat too.

Very big deal that Hutton came into last season playing 20 - 25 pounds heavier than his rookie season. IMHO Hutton saw that he needed more weight for board battles in his d-zone. I thought he did a better job last year as a result. I thought he showed enough speed last year to have o-zone presence. Looking forward to his up coming season. We could have a very nice upside.  

• Upvote 3