The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

On 8/7/2017 at 4:37 PM, DeNiro said:

It's similar with all the small star players, they have quads like tree trunks. That's the key to not getting knocked off the puck.

Not all small star players are like this look at Johnny Gaudreau guy is 155lbs unless hes all legs.

16 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

Not all small star players are like this look at Johnny Gaudreau guy is 155lbs unless hes all legs.

He's also 5'8" with a pretty small upper body.

Not hard to have all his muscle mass in his lower body.

44 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Not the worst thing to get in trouble for, but a recurring penalty could have significant punishment. The Finns do love their fish. 

Yeah, there are definitely worse offences. So I suppose when it comes to players getting into legal troubles, this is pretty tame stuff.

Still, it doesn't look too good. As far as I can gather (I can't read Finnish unfortunately), Palmu was fishing for brown trout, which are endangered and completely restricted in the south and central Finland. Finnish fishing laws are generally quite loose (and IIRC you don't even need a license for basic rod and lure fishing), but when it comes to poaching threatened and endangered stocks, they take it pretty seriously (as they should).

Probably even moreso when it's a celebrity or athlete who's breaking the law.

Doesn't help that he's done this type of thing before and apparently was foolish enough to post pictures of his illegal catch on social media (I believe they've since been taken down).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Palmu getting some bad press today in Finland. He's been caught poaching fish instead of goals. And this apparently isn't the first time Palmu has been caught for illegal fishing in Finland.

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Not the worst thing to get in trouble for, but a recurring penalty could have significant punishment. The Finns do love their fish. 

34 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, there are definitely worse offences. So I suppose when it comes to players getting into legal troubles, this is pretty tame stuff.

Still, it doesn't look too good. As far as I can gather (I can't read Finnish unfortunately), Palmu was fishing for brown trout, which are endangered and completely restricted in the south and central Finland. Finnish fishing laws are generally quite loose (and IIRC you don't even need a license for basic rod and lure fishing), but when it comes to poaching threatened and endangered stocks, they take it pretty seriously (as they should).

Probably even moreso when it's a celebrity or athlete who's breaking the law.

Doesn't help that he's done this type of thing before and apparently was foolish enough to post pictures of his illegal catch on social media (I believe they've since been taken down).

I don't have anything useful to add but feel compelled to put in my two cents worth anyway.

Yes I understand that illegal fishing is not that big a deal and I understand the argument about "young guys being young guys". But I don't like it -- for three reasons.

1. As someone who takes environmental concerns seriously, I probably view this more seriously than some people.

2. The implied attitude is in the general category of "rules are for other people", And this is not good in a professional athlete. If you are going to have that attitude you need to be pretty darn good to make up for it. Patrick Kane might be good enough to get away with it. Evander Kane isn't. And Palmu is a long way off.

3. To make it as a professional athlete, self-discipline is important. Not everyone is well-endowed with it and it can make a big difference in how well guys do in the long shot. This does not show a lot of self-discipline.  And he is 20, not 17.

• Upvote 4

Palmu getting some bad press today in Finland. He's been caught poaching fish instead of goals. And this apparently isn't the first time Palmu has been caught for illegal fishing in Finland.

LOL... what? Fishing? We talking about fishing? 

But yea you'd think after your first warning you would learn... doesn't seem like a good personality trait.

hmm i understand it happened the first time, but to repeatedly do it after knowing its wrong makes me question his decision making skills and street smarts for sure.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

I don't have anything useful to add but feel compelled to put in my two cents worth anyway.

Yes I understand that illegal fishing is not that big a deal and I understand the argument about "young guys being young guys". But I don't like it -- for three reasons.

1. As someone who takes environmental concerns seriously, I probably view this more seriously than some people.

2. The implied attitude is in the general category of "rules are for other people", And this is not good in a professional athlete. If you are going to have that attitude you need to be pretty darn good to make up for it. Patrick Kane might be good enough to get away with it. Evander Kane isn't. And Palmu is a long way off.

3. To make it as a professional athlete, self-discipline is important. Not everyone is well-endowed with it and it can make a big difference in how well guys do in the long shot. This does not show a lot of self-discipline.  And he is 20, not 17.

Yeah, digging deeper into the reports it really doesn't look good.

From what I can get off of Google translations, Palmu looks to have illegally dived near a power plant, set an illegal fish trap, and then caught what some have reported to be a restricted species of fish.

Per new fishing act (2015) which took effect in early 2016 and likely would have applied to the fish caught:

Brown trout and sea trout will be totally protected in the Southern and Central Finland – in all inland waters south from 64º north latitude.

http://www.fishinginfinland.fi/brown_trout

He then posted pictures on Instagram. When asked in the comments section (apparently by a conservation worker posing as a fan) about how he obtained the fish, Palmu posted it was a "secret" accompanied by a smilie emoji.

Reports say this happened in 2016 and Palmu was arrested for his actions. It's just coming out this week in the press.

It's becoming an even bigger story because Palmu was reportedly accompanied by several other local hockey players when the acts in question were committed.

EDIT: reports also mention that there's been an ongoing issue with illegal fishing in the area, sustainability officers have been monitoring, authorities were alerted, and even police sniffer dogs were brought in to try to catch the poachers.

Palmu was apparently questioned and released. He's reportedly been fined and has promised to never do it again. But there are several other players involved and team legal reps have been brought in.

Also reports that some of the players implicated (not sure if this includes Palmu), who had promised to stay away from the area, have since been spotted returning to the illegal "fishing hole" as recently as this summer.

What a mess. :( 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 2

Well, for his own sake, I hope he will not be caught poaching in Vancouver. Repeated fishing for endangered species is not considered such a minor offense as you might think: "Poachers can face a fine of up to $100,000 or up to two years in jail if found guilty." It's not like he did it by mistake. Caught and fined five times... This kind of publicity is not good for the team.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/dfo-targets-salmon-poachers-on-fraser-river-1.1305234

Edited by FinHockey
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Chill out grandpa. I'm sure you did way worse stuff when you were 20 than getting fined for fishing.

People b!tch way too much nowadays. I'm sure he's learned his lesson now. I dont see this as a reflection of his hockey career at all. Just a bunch of kids getting into mischief during the summer. It's not like he was shooting down bald eagles with a crossbow. Move on.

Grandpa??? I'm not 30 yet, what age are you? I just don't like people posting stuff diminishing someone's behaviour, apparently because it makes them look cool.

You are sure he's learned his lesson? Good for you, most people would have assumed he learned his lesson the last time. If Benning has not been on the phone to him I would be disappointed.

The rest of your post is bollocks. Endangered is endangered - there is no degrees as far as I'm aware.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Chill out grandpa. I'm sure you did way worse stuff when you were 20 than getting fined for fishing.

People b!tch way too much nowadays. I'm sure he's learned his lesson now. I dont see this as a reflection of his hockey career at all. Just a bunch of kids getting into mischief during the summer. It's not like he was shooting down bald eagles with a crossbow. Move on.

18 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Grandpa??? I'm not 30 yet, what age are you? I just don't like people posting stuff diminishing someone's behaviour, apparently because it makes them look cool.

You are sure he's learned his lesson? Good for you, most people would have assumed he learned his lesson the last time. If Benning has not been on the phone to him I would be disappointed.

The rest of your post is bollocks. Endangered is endangered - there is no degrees as far as I'm aware.

The way I see things, there has to be a middle ground with this.

Did Palmu do something wrong? Yes. Absolutely and he deserves the consequences of his actions and we have every right to be upset about it.

Did Palmu commit murder or sexual assault? Of course not nor should he be treated as such. He's not going to get treated as such obviously through the government and I don't see why we should treat him like that here.

Clearly, what he did was foolish and he should know better, especially now that he's drafted and potentially has a future in the NHL. He did not just "go fishing". He committed an illegal act and that is nothing to be downplayed. However, I also think there's perhaps overreacting as well. He was with a group and groups psychologically have "ring leaders" and "followers". For all we know, there could have even been peer pressure to do it. I don't think we really have enough evidence on his personality to really know for sure but I do think it's an important factor to keep in mind in all of this. Group dynamics are a huge part of social behaviour after all.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2