The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Very much agree that Palmu should be forgiven. And I'm not sure what more people could expect from him? He got caught. Got raked over the coals in the Finnish press. Actually got arrested. Paid fines. Issued a public apology. 

That's punishment enough IMO. More than most people have to face for their youthful indiscretions.

Also, as much as I don't condone his actions and agree they displayed very poor judgment and immaturity, there are mitigating factors.

First off, from what I can gather, the fish is caught only became restricted in southern and central Finland in 2015. Previously it was legal. And it's only restricted in the regions where stocks are threatened. You can still catch them in Lapland IIRC. And that species is doing just fine in many other countries. It's even been successful farmed in some markets. It is not an endangered species worldwide. But the wild stocks are definitely under pressure in areas like where Palmu fished.

Also, when it comes to these issues of criminality and Palmu's character, his age is definitely a factor. Just read the neuroscience around late adolescence (18-25) and how long it takes before the pre-frontal cortex is fully developed. Kids Palmu's age (and yes I consider them kids) are often neurologically incapable of good judgment, proper decision making, and fully appreciating the consequences of their actions.

This doesn't mean young adults deserve a "get out of jail free" card. Just that the mistakes young people make shouldn't define them for the rest of their lives. 

I'm confident Palmu will learn from this. If for no other reason than he's suffered quite a lot of public embarrassment and has been forced to face consequences. He's still young and likely has more mistakes to make before his reaches full adulthood. But I'd imagine his illegal fishing days are over. And I wouldn't be surprised if, after al this, he actually became a bit of a public face and advocate for environmental protection and biodiversity.

I still think he's a good kid. He deserves a chance to prove that this mistake won't define him. And I'm inclined to forgive him and move on.

well said err typed

Don't care if it is fishing or any other activity deemed "illegal" but this is unacceptable behaviour for a member of a professional sports franchise.   He isn't really a Canuck as doesn't have a contract (I don't believe) but I would like to think the Canucks are taking this seriously.   Repeat offenses seems to indicate he doesn't "get it" very well nor that he will need to consider himself a role model at some point if he is going to be a professional athlete.

I don't know more than what I can read but I would have this guy on a short leash if I was going to sign him and even then, would have a chat that left no question that any more shaite like this would be deemed fatal to his ability to ever be a Canuck.   

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Also, when it comes to these issues of criminality and Palmu's character, his age is definitely a factor. Just read the neuroscience around late adolescence (18-25) and how long it takes before the pre-frontal cortex is fully developed. Kids Palmu's age (and yes I consider them kids) are often neurologically incapable of good judgment, proper decision making, and fully appreciating the consequences of their actions.

SID you make a lot of sense. 

I'm not for crucifying this kid nor am I for giving him a pass based on age. 

However I'm an avid fishermen myself and regularly take my 2 nephews fishing with me  (aged 8 and 12).

Each one of them,  in their own way,  can already tell you if you ask them, why it's important to follow the 'rules' as they like to call them regarding fishing.   The older one can already look up the regulations online for each region in BC if I ask him.  Citing 'neuroscience' as an excuse bothers me in this case.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, drummerboy said:

As a fisherman, I believe very strongly in conservation.    That is why I care. 

That was an illegal move he pulled.   Twice.   

I don't care if it is a regular guy, or some dude that the Canucks drafted that we will never see on the team. 

It is a loser move.  

Are you a David Suzuki fan? Remember the time he got caught poaching?

Seems to me all the granola eaters in BC and Canada overlooked this because it was their posterboy hero. 

Give the kid a break .

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

If I have to tell you, you weren't there Rob.

No I wasn't so let's have it because I think comparing two sets of illegal activity by two non-current Canucks (one released and one non-yet, if ever, signed) over a current in the franchise player isn't quite fair unless you make it clear why you are doing so.   If you have some credible and publicly know illegal activity then why has no one else heard of it?

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

No I wasn't so let's have it because I think comparing two sets of illegal activity by two non-current Canucks (one released and one non-yet, if ever, signed) over a current in the franchise player isn't quite fair unless you make it clear why you are doing so.   If you have some credible and publicly know illegal activity then why has no one else heard of it?

You need to read my post again. I don't know where you got the "illegal activity" from. My point is how quickly some posters are to take the side of the player in any situation and blame the Club, the GM, the Coach or in Palmu's case apparently everyone but him. What the ------ is wrong with some people on here, do you really support this Club. It seems you are more intent on attacking it at every opportunity.

Every point of one fan's criticism and disapproval is ramped up into "ragging" "hating" and all the other BS words the bedroom advocates haul out to make a simple and justified condemnation of a player's behaviour into some kind of witch hunt or lynch mob. I say again these boards ARE NOT a direct line to anyone connected to the club.

As for me and I hope others, I will continue to express disapproval of ANY behaviour which shows a player to be stupid, unprofessional, engaged in illegality or embarrasses my hockey club.

These "boys" should appreciate how lucky they are to be selected to embark on a career in pro hockey. I'm sure any one of us would give anything to have that chance. I am not saying they HAVE to be perfect, but if they screw up I reserve my right and the right of others to criticise them.

Way too much angst around here...let's just burn him at the stake and be done with it...

Hockey is a sport....fishing is a sport....Palmu high sticks someone in the face and he get's a 5 minute penalty....Maximum....and that's the end of it.

Palmu took his penalty for what he did fishing....now let's get back to what he does playing hockey...

I don't know if any of you guys are musicians as well but this forum is starting to remind me of "The Gear Page" aka the Goon page.....choke full of know-it-alls who poo-poo everyone else's gear just out of course....it has become known as the most unfriendly forum out there (at least for musicians)....

I hope we're not trying for second spot....

• Upvote 1

who cares?  fishing violation?  compared to drinking and driving, or killing someone behind the wheel (for which professional athletes have been forgiven btw)...

really an unfortunate event - nobody really wants to fish endangered species - usually perpetrators are just ignorant of the rules and violate them.  Never automatically assign malice to a situation that can easily be explained by incompetence

peace

Edited by canucksnihilist
  • Upvote 1

On 8/16/2017 at 11:29 PM, drummerboy said:

As a fisherman, I believe very strongly in conservation.    That is why I care. 

That was an illegal move he pulled.   Twice.   

I don't care if it is a regular guy, or some dude that the Canucks drafted that we will never see on the team. 

It is a loser move.  

Conservation is a joke anyways. Put rules on the guy with the fishing rod but let the commercial fishermen and the guys setting up nets on the Fraser row after row to do as they please. But I commend you for having high moral values.  I just think there are bigger fish to fry out there than Palmu. 

On 8/11/2017 at 2:35 PM, N7Nucks said:

I jaywalk. Clearly got attitude problems. I am not apart of this system.

I ran over a squirrel on the way to work. Is that vehicular squirrelslaughter?

Should I turn myself in? Or should I go on the lamb. 

Ahh crap, if I go on a lamb, it's animal cruelty.

What do I do?

I'm so confused.

• Upvote 3

I don't care what players do in their spare time. I don't agree with hunting game for sport (eg. Booth), but as long as the player does his job on the ice and is a good team mate, who cares? My only question regarding Palmu is: Will he ever play for the Canucks? The odds are against him due to his size, but he has skills. Another nice feature is Palmu can play either wing.

Maybe in a few years..?

? - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - Pettersson - Virtanen

Palmu - Gaudette - Lind

Gadjovich - Gaunce - Lockwood

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

You need to read my post again. I don't know where you got the "illegal activity" from. My point is how quickly some posters are to take the side of the player in any situation and blame the Club, the GM, the Coach or in Palmu's case apparently everyone but him. What the ------ is wrong with some people on here, do you really support this Club. It seems you are more intent on attacking it at every opportunity.

Every point of one fan's criticism and disapproval is ramped up into "ragging" "hating" and all the other BS words the bedroom advocates haul out to make a simple and justified condemnation of a player's behaviour into some kind of witch hunt or lynch mob. I say again these boards ARE NOT a direct line to anyone connected to the club.

As for me and I hope others, I will continue to express disapproval of ANY behaviour which shows a player to be stupid, unprofessional, engaged in illegality or embarrasses my hockey club.

These "boys" should appreciate how lucky they are to be selected to embark on a career in pro hockey. I'm sure any one of us would give anything to have that chance. I am not saying they HAVE to be perfect, but if they screw up I reserve my right and the right of others to criticise them.

You lumped in Virtanen's "Behaviour" with to sets of illegal behaviours - how else can one read that?

I am in total agreement with you about the blame.   Read MY posts.   There is no get-of-jail free card if you are over 18 and break the law and no way that is on management, coaching or a phase of life - it is on the player AND is speaks poorly of any professional sports organization that doesn't come out and address, condemn and make sure there is no repeat offense.   In case of Kassian, Vancouver did right by him and apparently got him help but at some point simply moved on which was, at the time, likely the right thing to do.  Glad he has seemingly gotten his life back on track but I bet it is a work in progress.

For this kid in Finland, i am not impressed at all.

For Virtanen, you made a strong innuendo and I contend that you need to back it up or simply admit you are wrong.   To say that someone misinterpreted your post is crap and to hide behind "no one reads these" is also crap.   This is a very public forum and libel is just that - libel.   If you are questioning on-ice or in the room attitude etc on a hockey chat board, fine, that was done to death with Kesler etc and is fair game.   You lumped Virtanen in with two other players involved in illegal activities.   Not cool dude.   Not cool at all.

I have respected your posts on this board, this one I don't at all.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You lumped in Virtanen's "Behaviour" with to sets of illegal behaviours - how else can one read that?

I am in total agreement with you about the blame.   Read MY posts.   There is no get-of-jail free card if you are over 18 and break the law and no way that is on management, coaching or a phase of life - it is on the player AND is speaks poorly of any professional sports organization that doesn't come out and address, condemn and make sure there is no repeat offense.   In case of Kassian, Vancouver did right by him and apparently got him help but at some point simply moved on which was, at the time, likely the right thing to do.  Glad he has seemingly gotten his life back on track but I bet it is a work in progress.

For this kid in Finland, i am not impressed at all.

For Virtanen, you made a strong innuendo and I contend that you need to back it up or simply admit you are wrong.   To say that someone misinterpreted your post is crap and to hide behind "no one reads these" is also crap.   This is a very public forum and libel is just that - libel.   If you are questioning on-ice or in the room attitude etc on a hockey chat board, fine, that was done to death with Kesler etc and is fair game.   You lumped Virtanen in with two other players involved in illegal activities.   Not cool dude.   Not cool at all.

I have respected your posts on this board, this one I don't at all.

That was not the point I was making though in that post. I wasn't referring to Kassian's "illegal" behaviour either. I was highlighting stupidity and not acting like a pro. That is my take on all 3 players.

If I have to spell it out:

A. I am disappointed that Palmu was stupid enough to ignore his first warning.

B. I was disappointed that Kassian seemed to ignore all the help he got and continued "partying" in a way unbefitting of a pro hockey player

C. Virtanen had a coach who backed him when a great many were against him even in his home town and repaid that faith by reporting to camp out of shape and out of condition. Worse still was how he tried to squirm out of taking responsibility for his form due to that lack of conditioning and implied it was in some way the coach's fault. That is a character flaw which he had better address.

There was no innuendo, only your take on what I said. Which was began with - 

"We are still at odds it seems with all the idiots on here who don't think he did much wrong in the first place." 

My point was in all 3 cases many on here have taken the side of the player and some even attacked the Club and their excuse amounted to virtually calling them "children" Sadly I think children would have behaved more responsibly.