The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

4 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I don’t see nhl caliber just yet, but this year in the A with Gadjovic etc should be excellent for his development.  Nice thanks have so many potential diamonds in the rough. 

This Macmaster kid is really good too, i've been impressed with him. His speed and skating should go well with Gadjovich and Palmu. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, rekker said:

This kid is a cannonball and fun to watch. I see his height and think, "ya, whatever". Then watch him play and the kid is effective as heck. He could be the surprise coming out of training and make the opening roster. Instant fan favourite if he does  

He's our secret weapon that won't be too much of a secret after this years over.   Wouldn't surprise me at all if he tears up the AHL, these guys spend their whole life been told they will never make the next level because they are too small, and then make people wrong.  He did it in junior, then did it in Liiga, and will do it in the A, and then make his way into the top six and do it in the NHL.  He looked like Theo out there, but the difference is he's built like a tank already where as Theon was 140lbs at the same age.  St.Louis set the bar for these guys, not many get to play, but Palmu looks to have the stuff.  Hope he's a PPGer plus in the pre-season and give Benning a blistering headache on what to do.

• Upvote 4

When I see this guy play it's like he uses his shortness to his advantage, he reaches for pucks more efficiently and quickly. His center of gravity is off the charts for a guy his size, he doesn't get knocked down too easily. He scores in a different way than the Pettersons and the Boesers. This kid is going be that late round steal the Canucks haven't had since Hansen.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, IBatch said:

He's our secret weapon that won't be too much of a secret after this years over.   Wouldn't surprise me at all if he tears up the AHL, these guys spend their whole life been told they will never make the next level because they are too small, and then make people wrong.  He did it in junior, then did it in Liiga, and will do it in the A, and then make his way into the top six and do it in the NHL.  He looked like Theo out there, but the difference is he's built like a tank already where as Theon was 140lbs at the same age.  St.Louis set the bar for these guys, not many get to play, but Palmu looks to have the stuff.  Hope he's a PPGer plus in the pre-season and give Benning a blistering headache on what to do.

Great comparison. I'm going to the game today. I can't wait to watch him, and some of the others live. 

On 9/9/2018 at 7:03 AM, smokes said:

When I see this guy play it's like he uses his shortness to his advantage, he reaches for pucks more efficiently and quickly. His center of gravity is off the charts for a guy his size, he doesn't get knocked down too easily. He scores in a different way than the Pettersons and the Boesers. This kid is going be that late round steal the Canucks haven't had since Hansen.

He gets no credit for his edgework but it's very good.  He's strong but to make up for lack of stride length, he has to be REALLY efficient at using his edges.  So he pushes off strong then maintains speed well, plus he's able to pivot and shift on a dime.  He's a complete antithesis for what you would expect to be a successful player. But once you see the whole package it makes perfect sense why he is as good as he is.

On 9/10/2018 at 11:36 PM, SamJamIam said:

He gets no credit for his edgework but it's very good.  He's strong but to make up for lack of stride length, he has to be REALLY efficient at using his edges.  So he pushes off strong then maintains speed well, plus he's able to pivot and shift on a dime.  He's a complete antithesis for what you would expect to be a successful player. But once you see the whole package it makes perfect sense why he is as good as he is.

I think he will be one of the big surprises at camp. He may be short in stature but he plays like he is 6 inches taller and twenty pounds heavier than he is.

• Upvote 1

On 10/09/2018 at 10:36 PM, SamJamIam said:

His first push off his skate is unreal. Doesnt matter if its from a stand still or coming off a turn that first push is incredible. Like coming out of a slingshot. 

• 2 weeks later...

Kuzma has a recap of the cuts in the Province.  This is the section on Palmu:

Palmu, 21, was rookie of the year with 36 points (17-19) in 59 regular season games with TPS Turku and six points (4-2) in 11 playoff games. The 5-foot-6, 172 pound bowling-ball winger had a goal and an assist in the prospects camp Summer Showcase, but transferring consistency to the NHL was challenging. He had six shots in two games.

“It’s up to him to carve out a niche — what is he going to be?” asked Green. “You have to bring something to the table and he has to use his strength on the smaller ice and make sure his engine is running hot all the time.”

1 hour ago, mll said:

Kuzma has a recap of the cuts in the Province.  This is the section on Palmu:

Palmu, 21, was rookie of the year with 36 points (17-19) in 59 regular season games with TPS Turku and six points (4-2) in 11 playoff games. The 5-foot-6, 172 pound bowling-ball winger had a goal and an assist in the prospects camp Summer Showcase, but transferring consistency to the NHL was challenging. He had six shots in two games.

“It’s up to him to carve out a niche — what is he going to be?” asked Green. “You have to bring something to the table and he has to use his strength on the smaller ice and make sure his engine is running hot all the time.”

Yeh because if his engine isn't running and he stalls out we already have Gagne and Erickson in neutral and can't have another. How and in what world does Gagne beat any of these kids out of a job?

1 minute ago, cory40 said:

Yeh because if his engine isn't running and he stalls out we already have Gagne and Erickson in neutral and can't have another. How and in what world does Gagne beat any of these kids out of a job?

The business world, unfortunately it's a big part of it. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, cory40 said:

I don't know what you've been watching, but these kids really haven't earned a spot in the line-up yet. They very much need more development time in Utica. I fail to see how that's a bad thing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

I don't know what you've been watching, but these kids really haven't earned a spot in the line-up yet. They very much need more development time in Utica. I fail to see how that's a bad thing.

Yeah I don’t understand how people think Petrus Palmu is gunna go out there and score at .5 ppg like gagner and Eriksson can. Until the kids can show they can replace the production of the vets, it’s going to be hard for them to make the team

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, cory40 said:

Yeh true But I also feel Gagne needs more development. So I would keep the best one and send him packing.

We have players like Gagner so that we don't have to rush our young players. If we don't have players like Gagner, then we end up rushing our prospects and setup for potential failure. It would really not be a fun spot to be in don't you think?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, cyoung said:

How has Palmu looks thus far? I don't have much time to catch Utica games, just sort of following production. Noticed he hasn't cracked the score sheet yet. Anything holding him back? 

Opposing teams goaltending :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, cyoung said:

How has Palmu looks thus far? I don't have much time to catch Utica games, just sort of following production. Noticed he hasn't cracked the score sheet yet. Anything holding him back? 

He's been playing in the bottom six. Minutes on ice aren't very high. And he's been shuffled in and out of the lineup alongside Kole Lind, Jonah Gadjovich, and Lukas Jasek as Trent Cull gets used to playing "the young guys". So he hasn't even had much consistency with who and when and where he is playing. I expect he'll pick it up in the later half of the season but he's probably in for at least another year after this one in the AHL before he gets a sniff at the NHL level.

He's still doing well considering he was a 6th round pick. I still think he has NHL upside.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2