The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

9 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Palmu very visible in the offensive zone tonite.  Creating lots of chances buzzing around.  Don’t write this guy off yet.

are people writing off a player in his first year playing NA pro hockey?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, stawns said:

are people writing off a player in his first year playing NA pro hockey?

People writing off a player that was a long shot to begin with? Oh wait, a 6th rounder with "potential" should be pushing for a job with the big club before his 1st season in NA is even 1/2 over. 

14 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Some players need to adapt to  ore than just Hockey. language culture and rink size. Very few Elias Pettersson type players out there!

3 years in Owen Sound. I thought he looked good in the last game he played. Was surprised he didn't dress in Utica's next game.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I thought that PP looked good in the FB streamed game vs Springfield. Not a fan of his usage this year. I guess the choice was ECHL or Finland.

Edit: EliteProspects shows him as playing for TPS ( Liiga )

Edited by SingleThorn

32 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I thought that PP looked good in the FB streamed game vs Springfield. Not a fan of his usage this year. I guess the choice was ECHL or Finland.

Edit: EliteProspects shows him as playing for TPS ( Liiga )

That's where he played last year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

This will make the Utica fans happy. An ECHL player getting out of town. (sarcasm)

I was very excited to see Palmu play before the season started but when he did play for the most part he looked like he was in over his head.  But realistically a 5'6", sixth round draft choice is a huge long shot anyway.  I would have rather seen Palmu sent to the ECHL a few weeks ago instead of being scratched so many times.  The ECHL needs to be viewed as another developmental resource and not as purgatory where players are sent that have no future in professional hockey.  Time spend with Kalamazoo would have resulted in plenty of ice time against men while learning the professional North American game.

I still think that both Gadjovich and Lind should be assigned to Kzoo if only for a few weeks to get more playing time and to build their confidence.  Lind played last night while Gadjo was scratched but to be honest Lind still looks like a deer in the headlights and gets completely lost in the defensive zone.  He gets confused on where he is supposed to be in the D-Zone and by the time he realizes it and tries to recover the puck and the play has already moved on.  

• Upvote 1

In theory it was really exciting coming into the season and having so many prospects that had been progressing and winning individual awards the previous year all going to Utica. It did not work as planned. There is only so many spots on a roster. It’s good that Palmu is going back to Finland and hope he can pick up where he left off there.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Sure is a hard league when Cull doesn’t play the kids like Gadget, Lind and Palmu. I understand it’s the coaches job to win games and would have more faith in veteran players then to ice a bunch of rookies who would make mistakes. But these AHL vets have no future with the Canucks as these kids do... when you let them play and learn from the mistakes they make. Not easy to balance it all but when management preaches that the AHL is a developing league the coach says something different. Not saying that all young players are getting shafted (Dahlen, OJ, Demko) among others are playing but maybe we are a victim of having too many prospects at once. Palmu is still Canuck property but I hope it doesn’t turn into a Tryamkin situation where we might not see him again. We shall see and hope for the best for these kids and the road to the NHL.

I'm disappointed, as I actually thought he may get some NHL time late in the season, and possibly even make the team next year, or be a call-up. He's a hard worker, very stable on his skates, plays with grit, fearless, has a good shot. Oh well, I hope it works out for him in Finland and one day her makes it back to NA.