The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

23 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Remember Trent Cull wasn't their top choice to coach Utica, sounds like he was the 3rd of 4th option.  I already stated for the record that I doubt PP would ever make it to the NHL but as a Canuck fan I rather see our prospects play and hopefully overcome their struggles than to have some 30yo with zero chance at the big leagues eat up their spots.  You cant have prospects in the press box no matter what the league is. 

If they moved the Utica team to BC they might have been able to get Dave Lowry 

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah, hence my “he wasn’t even 19 when we drafted him” comment. Undersized, over aged when we drafted him. Not exactly a premier prospect.

Ya, he's honestly a great player and might figure it out and come back. Another year in Finland will only do him good.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Remember Trent Cull wasn't their top choice to coach Utica, sounds like he was the 3rd of 4th option.  I already stated for the record that I doubt PP would ever make it to the NHL but as a Canuck fan I rather see our prospects play and hopefully overcome their struggles than to have some 30yo with zero chance at the big leagues eat up their spots.  You cant have prospects in the press box no matter what the league is. 

you can if they are out of their depth.......what good comes from over playing a kid who isn't quite ready?  

9 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Ya, he's honestly a great player and might figure it out and come back. Another year in Finland will only do him good.

He's likely just a victim of a bunch of kids being in Utica. Same with Dahlen. They gotta "pay their dues" while also battling other kids for ice time cause we can't have more than 2 on the ice at any given time I guess.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, cyoung said:

people are acting like he's a top pick or something.  He was always, always a distant shot at making a career for himself in NA.  

29 minutes ago, stawns said:

people are acting like he's a top pick or something.  He was always, always a distant shot at making a career for himself in NA.  

Exactly, at least he gets to play with Kakko this year haha

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Carlutch98 said:

Palmu is the most underrated prospect in the NHL. This guy has so much skill and I'm sure he'll be an impact player especially the way the game has changed. All about young fast and skilled players and that's what palmu is. 

What store did you get your rose colored glasses from?

• Upvote 2

It's good to see Petrus doing well in Finland. I'm glad to see that he can get more minutes in games there. At the end of the day, it's what shows in training camp that really matters, I have a feeling he will end up in the NHL somehow,

12 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

What store did you get your rose colored glasses from?

Hey he likely has the same chnace as others. The question that needs to be answered is does he wish to throw his chnaces in with Utica/Vcr. The kid needs to look after himself and career. Maybe the SEL/KHL might see him get a better chnace as a stepping stone

• 3 weeks later...

At this point it may be better to leave Palmu in Europe and hold onto his rights like we did with Rodin. If he has a dominant season we can bring him back for another look; but if he can’t be a top scoring player in Europe he’ll never make it in the NHL. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

At this point it may be better to leave Palmu in Europe and hold onto his rights like we did with Rodin. If he has a dominant season we can bring him back for another look; but if he can’t be a top scoring player in Europe he’ll never make it in the NHL. 

It would have been a nice story if he made it but people need to remind themselves that Palmu is a 5'6" sixth round draft choice.  He beat the odds by even getting a NHL contract.  The odds of him making the NHL have always been very slim. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

But, but........it's completely the fault of the Comets and Canucks staff that he's not in the AHL developing into a top 3 fwd for next season right?

Just like we'll probably find out with JD (though he's got a shot) in the next year or two, they were probably never going to be NHL players, let alone impact players.

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...