The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Brassard has one primary assist on the first goal early into tonight’s game.

Brings him to 49 points on the “quest for 50” (which I’ve just invented and isn’t really a thing).

Thanks for being so diligent towards keeping us updated on the going ons with out prospects. I’d be lost without you hahhaa

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Some serious consistency to end the year this year. He's been a point per game d man for about 30 games now. 

I wonder if the Canucks think hes ready for the AHL next season? 

Gonna be interesting to see what happens. I think he’s probably earned an ELC and a serious look at playing AHL next season. He’s really been Oshawa’s #1D this season and excelled in that role. The point per game pace has been quite impressive. And he’s also contributing a bunch of “3rd assists” that don’t show up on the scoresheet. Nice clean breakout passes and good puck movement from the point that helps to drive their offense. You look at a game like tonight’s, and he only had the one assist, but he was on the ice for 4 of the Generals’ goals for (3 EV and 1 PP) and that’s a fairly average result. He’s the PMD on ice for nearly every PP goal they score and probably the majority of their even strength goals as well. And he also draws the toughest matchups on the defensive side.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Derp... said:

Some serious consistency to end the year this year. He's been a point per game d man for about 30 games now. 

I wonder if the Canucks think hes ready for the AHL next season? 

I don't see why not, honestly. He's eligible and the Canucks don't have a ton of right handed d prospects. And with Cederholm and Stewart coming off the books + the trading of Holm and Subban for forwards, there are openings next year. He seems like more of a shoe in to get a deal then Candella, at this point. I'd rather take the risk on Brassard now, and hope he turns into something, instead of watching him go away for nothing. Even if he turns into an AHL d-man with call up potential, that'll be great for a 7th round pick. But something tells me, Brassard has more in the tank.

29 minutes ago, Wanless said:

I really like how he knew where the puck was going before he even got it and did a little fake to draw his check in to open space

For a 7th round pick. He actually looks like he could develop in to something. 

9 hours ago, KKnight said:

For a 7th round pick. He actually looks like he could develop in to something. 

Im not good with this stuff, but I think he has a late birthday for his draft?

Anyone good with how birthdays and drafts work?

11 hours ago, Quantum said:

I don't see why not, honestly. He's eligible and the Canucks don't have a ton of right handed d prospects. And with Cederholm and Stewart coming off the books + the trading of Holm and Subban for forwards, there are openings next year. He seems like more of a shoe in to get a deal then Candella, at this point. I'd rather take the risk on Brassard now, and hope he turns into something, instead of watching him go away for nothing. Even if he turns into an AHL d-man with call up potential, that'll be great for a 7th round pick. But something tells me, Brassard has more in the tank.

He’s having a better 19 yr old season (offensively anyways) than both Brisbois and Chatfield did, and pretty much the same as Subban. If those guys can play meaningful minutes in the AHL, I don’t see any reason Brassard can’t either. 

35 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Im not good with this stuff, but I think he has a late birthday for his draft?

Anyone good with how birthdays and drafts work?

I believe (though I’m not positive) 2017 was brassards 2nd year of draft eligibility, but because of his August birthday he was one of the youngest players available in 2016 so it’s not surprising he wouldn’t be taken that year. He’s not that much older than Nolan Patrick (just over 1 month older I believe)

Edited by Canadian Clay
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

I believe (though I’m not positive) 2017 was brassards 2nd year of draft eligibility, but because of his August birthday he was one of the youngest players available in 2016 so it’s not surprising he wouldn’t be taken that year. He’s not that much older than Nolan Patrick (just over 1 month older I believe)

Yeah, you’ve got it right.

He was also a late bloomer who played his first OHL season in his draft year (first year of eligibility that is) and was used sparingly that season. Only had 28 games of OHL experience by the time of the 2016 draft. Had played only 90 OHL games (regular season) by the 2017 draft (2nd year eligible—when he was picked). Compare that to another August baby like Merkley this year. He’s already played 120+ OHL games at age 17. Brassard didn’t hit 120 OHL games until he was 19 years old.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Brassard and Oshawa play Peterborough on Friday (tomorrow) and Sudbury on Sunday to close out their season. Those are two of the worst teams in the OHL. So a very good chance he collects at least one more point in his final two games to either meet or break the 50 points mark this season.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1

I hope we give this guy a contract. He is doing well this year, and he plays a position we are severely weak at...That said we had a scoring offensive D prospect that we chose not to extend a contract to last summer, so only time will tell what the Canucks do with Brassard

37 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, you’ve got it right.

He was also a late bloomer who played his first OHL season in his draft year (first year of eligibility that is) and was used sparingly that season. Only had 28 games of OHL experience by the time of the 2016 draft. Had played only 90 OHL games (regular season) by the 2017 draft (2nd year eligible—when he was picked). Compare that to another August baby like Merkley this year. He’s already played 120+ OHL games at age 17. Brassard didn’t hit 120 OHL games until he was 19 years old.

It's pretty amazing to see some of the picks that were taken in the higher rounds that were passed on for whatever reasons Brett Hull in the 6th round and Hasek in the 10th blow my mind. A lot of the others drafted late, were picked during the Cold War so I assume that fear of players not being able to come played into that? Brett Hull tho? How does he not get picked until the 7th.? Not saying Matt Brassard will become A star, but it just shows how some guys just get missed for whatever reason. 

11 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I hope we give this guy a contract. He is doing well this year, and he plays a position we are severely weak at...That said we had a scoring offensive D prospect that we chose not to extend a contract to last summer, so only time will tell what the Canucks do with Brassard

That's why I don't get all the hate for resigning Guddy. People say that it shows were not rebuilding. Yet He is still young, And we don't have A bunch of young kids in the pipeline better than him ATM.  Really hope this kid turns out to be another Genious pick by JB. More so after hearing Ferraro's rant about JB

2 minutes ago, bp79 said:

That's why I don't get all the hate for resigning Guddy. People say that it shows were not rebuilding. Yet He is still young, And we don't have A bunch of young kids in the pipeline better than him ATM.  Really hope this kid turns out to be another Genious pick by JB. More so after hearing Ferraro's rant about JB

I missed the rant, was it bad in regards to JB or good?

As for Gudbranson, I think it was wise to keep him, he wasn't worth much at the deadline especially with the shoulder injury. Was kind of shocked we didnt shut him down earlier though so he could have had a better off season for recovery now it is going to go right to camp for a full recovery. 

even if we sign Brassard he will need at least 1 maybe 2 or more full years in the A before he could be ready. But as a late bloomer he could suprise also, it is such a crab shoot to know how a player will pan out after they are drafted. I think we have the space in the contract dept to give this guy a chance tho

• Upvote 1