The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

22 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I missed the rant, was it bad in regards to JB or good?

As for Gudbranson, I think it was wise to keep him, he wasn't worth much at the deadline especially with the shoulder injury. Was kind of shocked we didnt shut him down earlier though so he could have had a better off season for recovery now it is going to go right to camp for a full recovery. 

even if we sign Brassard he will need at least 1 maybe 2 or more full years in the A before he could be ready. But as a late bloomer he could suprise also, it is such a crab shoot to know how a player will pan out after they are drafted. I think we have the space in the contract dept to give this guy a chance tho

He was on TSN blabbing about how JB and Linden knew this team had no shot at the playoffs and if they thought that how does JB get an extension? Yet he never mentions all the good things JB has done. If you go onto the thread by Guardian he posted a link. Or you can just go on TSN and look for the article about teams and if they are tanking on purpose 

19 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I'd rather sign this kid then freakin Stukel lol. I'd let Stukel walk. 

You can sign both. We hold Brassard's rights until June 2019.

So, in reality, the Canucks could do the following:

Sign Stukel right now (occupying an immediate contract spot), sign Brassard to a PTO to join Utica with an entry level deal that kicks in July 1st 2018 that'll start in the 2018-2019 season. This way Canucks can keep both players and get them both to Utica. This is a likely course of action for either Candella or Stukel (but probably not both) and probably for Brassard too. It's what they're doing with Kole Lind too.

Definitely one of those "ah-ha" moment understandings that offensive-minded defencemen (and forwards) need to realize, to become truly effective and well-rounded two-way players.  I remember when Petri Skriko first came into the NHL, "It's a strange league -- you work hard and the puck comes."

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

1G 1A so far so he’s at 51 points. 7 SOG so far tonight. 

EDIT: Finished with the 2 points and 9 SOG. Brings him to 51 points (16G 35A) with one game remaining (Sunday) this season.

He hit 50 SID! :towel:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Brassard with at least one more goal tonight bring his point totals up to 50 points! That is very good for a 7th round pick!

Best part is he takes his time to get the shot through, no big wind up, just use the D as a screen and get it on net.  Thing of beauty..  

On 2018-03-15 at 1:18 PM, bp79 said:

That's why I don't get all the hate for resigning Guddy. People say that it shows were not rebuilding. Yet He is still young, And we don't have A bunch of young kids in the pipeline better than him ATM.  Really hope this kid turns out to be another Genious pick by JB. More so after hearing Ferraro's rant about JB

Gudbranson’s injury record makes him look like Tanev2, without the redeeming factor of being a sound defensive D.  The value of players who are injured all the time is subject to the law of diminishing returns.  Move these guys while they still have value.  We are rebuilding, get draft picks and/or high level prospects.  In addition, not bringing back the Sedins creates cap room for free agents - if there is a time for Evander, it’s now.  If there is a quality free agent D under 28 capable of being a 1 or 2 available, sign him - that would decrease the time of a rebuild tremendously.  We should have tons of cap room with no Sedins, no Tanev, and no Gudbranson.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Generals are resting Brassard for their final game. So he’ll finish the regular season with 51 points.

Just wanted to add, they’re resting Brassard because they’ve already secured 5th place in the East.

Oshawa will face Niagara (4th) in the first round.

Owen Sound (Gadjovich and McKenzie) wrapped up 4th in the West and will face London (5th) and Evan Bouchard.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2018 at 5:20 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Gudbranson’s injury record makes him look like Tanev2, without the redeeming factor of being a sound defensive D.  The value of players who are injured all the time is subject to the law of diminishing returns.  Move these guys while they still have value.  We are rebuilding, get draft picks and/or high level prospects.  In addition, not bringing back the Sedins creates cap room for free agents - if there is a time for Evander, it’s now.  If there is a quality free agent D under 28 capable of being a 1 or 2 available, sign him - that would decrease the time of a rebuild tremendously.  We should have tons of cap room with no Sedins, no Tanev, and no Gudbranson.  

In fairness, Guddy usually has been pretty steady as far as staying healthy up until last season. I think if he is healthy next year, he will be sorely needed. Even if we could attract some D in July besides JC pretty slim pickings. I am all on board and expecting JB to have Kane inked at 1201 July 1st.:ph34r: With or without Tanev we have tons of cap room to play with. I hope if we trade him we get back A young NHL ready D and A 1st. Even if we have to add A bit. Cheers.