The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

13 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hard to say.

His numbers have dropped off a bit lately, but I also think he was working through an injury, so we’ll need to see how he plays out this season before making projections (based off numbers).

The good news is he’s picked up points the last couple games and has started shooting the puck more. So hopefully he’s finally getting back to form after being not quite 100%. If that’s the case, I would expect Brassard to have a strong second half. I still believe a point per game scoring rate or better is within his reach this season.

Regardless of his final tallies, I think he’ll get a contract and be in Utica next year. The Canucks just don’t have the system depth on D, especially RH shots, to not sign him. And they’ve certainly thrown contracts at lesser prospects.

As far as projections, if he actually hits on his potential, I’d say he could develop into a #4/5 Dman with size who can capably QB a 2nd unit PP.

RH shot, attitude, size and decent skating... can't see the Canucks not giving him an ELC unless his play drops off a lot the rest of the year.

I wonder why media never asks about this guy to Benning, Johnson or another "expert"? Seems like a better topic then beating the dead horse on how good Hughes will be.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Could be a good move here for him, he will most likely be on the top pairing. Niagara is a good team, just weak on the back end. He should get some better opportunities and ice time.

3 hours ago, cyoung said:

Could be a good move here for him, he will most likely be on the top pairing. Niagara is a good team, just weak on the back end. He should get some better opportunities and ice time.

Yeah, should be good. Ice Dogs are loaded up front, but they could really use a guy like Brassard on their back end. Hopefully he’ll play first pairing and 1PP. Could see him piling up points. 

Studnicka is also a really good addition. Always appreciate his game when I watch the Gens. Ice Dogs are getting a couple top quality pieces, who should provide a significant boost their already potent offence, while also bringing a ton of veteran leadership.

Should be fun to watch Ottawa and Niagara battle it out in OHL East, especially with DiPietro and Brassard joining each of those respective teams.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So Brassard still in Oshawa and playing for the Gens tonight, so looks like the trade rumours he was headed to Niagara were premature, at least for now.

EDIT:

One assist tonight. 22 points (6G 16A) in 30 games on the season.

According to the tweet above, there's a trade freeze that lasts until the 6th. The reported deal is likely a handshake agreement right now and the trade will go through after.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So Brassard still in Oshawa and playing for the Gens tonight, so looks like the trade rumours he was headed to Niagara were premature, at least for now.

EDIT:

One assist tonight. 22 points (6G 16A) in 30 games on the season.

Pretty sure due to the wjc trades are on a freeze. So it's like final but not final haha.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

According to the tweet above, there's a trade freeze that lasts until the 6th. The reported deal is likely a handshake agreement right now and the trade will go through after.

13 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Pretty sure due to the wjc trades are on a freeze. So it's like final but not final haha.

Yeah, saw that. Thanks.

At least Oshawa and Niagara don’t play each other during the freeze. Although I suppose they could just sit the players out if they had a game scheduled for before the trade goes through. It’s probably weird enough for Brassard to play games for Oshawa when he knows he’s being moved, never mind actually having to try to beat his future team.

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2018 at 8:06 PM, Vanuckles said:

Holy 100 dollar word! Damn thanks for teaching me that one!

The Rathbone thread was pure gold. My god what a name. That kid was destined for greatness from the get-go. He's on the rise ;)

Rathbone is definitely a name for the ages.

• Haha 1