The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

4 hours ago, Quantum said:

I think he'll sign. Brassard has improved in each season he's played in the OHL and will hopefully capitalize on a huge chance with his recent trade and make a run at a Memorial Cup.

The Canucks could really use more D depth in Utica and I think he's got a good chance to sign an ELC before May. I know guys like Carl Neil, Tate Olson, Cole Candella were in similar positions but didn't get ELC's but Brassard feels different. For starters, Brassard battled back from a serious injury and is having a great year.

With Mitch Eliot having been signed and no other D prospect looking to make the jump from the Juniors/NCAA to Utica (I know we've got Hughes but he'll jump straight to the NHL), having Brassard in the back end will be good. The only way I see Brassard's path being disrupted is if Gunnarsson/Rathbone/Utunen unexpectedly sign (Rathbone would be the biggest shock with Gunnarsson being the sly ELC guy after his SHL season wraps) and the Canucks get nervous about having too many rookie D men in Utica next year (similar to the winger issue with Kole Lind/Petrus Palmu/Jonah Gadjovich/Lukas Jasek this year) despite the fact that it's kind of an unfounded worry.

Still, it's always good to have faith in a guy taken in the 7th round. If JB/Brackett have proven anything, it's that they know how to draft and draft well. Fingers crossed for Brassard.

They signed Sauntner so why not a deal for Brassard. Sauntner was a more stay at home d-man so their games are different. 

15 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Brassard’s goal from yesterday:

Brings him to 31 points (9G 22A) in 38 games on the season.

And 4 points (1G 3A) in his three games since joining Niagara.

My only fear is even if he plays in the AHL, will he get ice time? 

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Wonder how his skating and defense has developed this season.  Pretty much the same weaknesses that left Carl Neill searching for a new professional route.

Neill was small though and ended up going the Canadian college route. I'd spend a contract on Brassard even if there's just an off chance he could get a game or 2 in at the NHL level. He has a great shot and presence at the blueline and could at least carve out a good career in the AHL.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Neill was small though and ended up going the Canadian college route. I'd spend a contract on Brassard even if there's just an off chance he could get a game or 2 in at the NHL level. He has a great shot and presence at the blueline and could at least carve out a good career in the AHL.

What is the average contract in the AHL? $75,000 a year for a AHL vet?  More likely that a hard choice has to be made whether to play college hockey and get an education or go to Euroland and try for a contract there. The Euros pay a lot of extras you don't see in the contract amount. 

15 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Carl Neill must have been a small 6’1 216 - I don't think that was the issue, I understand the issue was skating.

16 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Carl Neill must have been a small 6’1 216 - I don't think that was the issue, I understand the issue was skating.

Yeah I guess I shoulda looked that one up. I just remember watching a few times after he got traded to the same team as Brisebois in junior and he wasn't physical and definitely didn't play to his size.

3 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Yeah I guess I shoulda looked that one up. I just remember watching a few times after he got traded to the same team as Brisebois in junior and he wasn't physical and definitely didn't play to his size.

True, he wasn’t physically robust and truculent, he he could sure shoot and rack up points.

On 1/20/2019 at 12:28 AM, canuckledraggin said:

Neill is 6'1'' 200lbs.  Far from small.

Neill just wasn't a very fluent skater and struggled defensively because of it.  Which led to Benning and Co to go after Jalen Chatfield.  Neill was also above a PPG player in his senior year in the CHL and averaged high point totals in his following years.  Heck Carl Neill also had a good presence on the blue line with a cannon of a shot.

What I'm saying is that Brassard has been noted to have the same deficiencies as Neill did.   High producing right shot dman in their senior year, but his skating and defense has been called into question.  Considering they just signed Mitch Eliot who very much plays the exact same way that Chatfield does, it would not surprise me if the Canucks walked away from Matt Brassard.  Almost a carbon copy kind of scenario.

^^ Brassard definitely has a knack for getting his shots through. You can see him make a little adjustment there so he can split the high forward and the defenseman, creating a lane for a shot and rebound.

Finished with the one assist and 5 SOG.

Now up to 37 points (10G 27A) in 43 games.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2