The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We don't have much depth on Right Side defensemen. I think we'd be nuts to let this kid go. 

I agree. Even though on paper, he doesn’t jump out. Point per game production as an overager offensive Dman isn’t all the special. It’s encouraging enough to consider a guy a fringe prospect, but not much more. What impresses me with Brassard is the skill level he shows on some plays. Really slick stuff. Some amazing passes; instinctive reads on when to pinch and when to attack low; a hard, accurate shot; and very good hands when he’s in close. This kid’s highlight reel is next level. Lots of showstopping goals. Rarely does he bank cheap points. Also, he has good size, plays physical, and has a real agitator side (opposing teams hate him—but from all accounts he’s a class act off the ice and a great teammate). Skating remains a weakness, but has improved. Overall, I just see flashes of skills that I believe will translate to higher levels. He just needs to work his ass off on his skating. The rest of the package has very good potential for the pros.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I agree. Even though on paper, he doesn’t jump out. Point per game production as an overager offensive Dman isn’t all the special. It’s encouraging enough to consider a guy a fringe prospect, but not much more. What impresses me with Brassard is the skill level he shows on some plays. Really slick stuff. Some amazing passes; instinctive reads on when to pinch and when to attack low; a hard, accurate shot; and very good hands when he’s in close. This kid’s highlight reel is next level. Lots of showstopping goals. Rarely does he bank cheap points. Also, he has good size, plays physical, and has a real agitator side (opposing teams hate him—but from all accounts he’s a class act off the ice and a great teammate). Skating remains a weakness, but has improved. Overall, I just see flashes of skills that I believe will translate to higher levels. He just needs to work his ass off on his skating. The rest of the package has very good potential for the pros.

I have to wonder if JB has his eye on some NCAA FA's There's usually a flurry of activity around this time of the year

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I can see Brassard getting a contract or the Canucks looking for potential better value with that contract, such as Oliwer Kaski.

We are at 49 contracts now, with rumours of us intersted in Sturm and maybe our own Lockwood. Doesn't look like we are giving this RHD a contract soon, when is the latest we can do that?

I sure hope we dont walk away from this RHD prospect. we need all the help we can get. We got a shat load of Lefties! 

Brassard may have to wait until some end of season moves are made if they are thinking on signing him. There is likely to be a number of players that might be moved before the draft and they do have a couple that will be off the books as well ( Dorsett and LaPlante ) as well as a couple of players that may not get a QO.

17 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Brassard may have to wait until some end of season moves are made if they are thinking on signing him. There is likely to be a number of players that might be moved before the draft and they do have a couple that will be off the books as well ( Dorsett and LaPlante ) as well as a couple of players that may not get a QO.

How much interest will there be? He could sign a AHL contract.

25 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

How much interest will there be? He could sign a AHL contract.

I'm not sure what the Canucks appetite is for signing him or if Brassard would be interested in signing an ATO with Utica for the remainder of the season and hope that he shows enough, while there, to entice the Canucks or some other team to sign him to an ELC. I guess that remains to be seen.

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I'm not sure what the Canucks appetite is for signing him or if Brassard would be interested in signing an ATO with Utica for the remainder of the season and hope that he shows enough, while there, to entice the Canucks or some other team to sign him to an ELC. I guess that remains to be seen.

We have to expect that the Canucks will shed some contracts by draft day. 

51 points last season and 56 points this season. He had a better season than his breakout season last year and proved on two teams he is a top line OHL defence man. 

I would like to keep him in our system

2015-16 Barrie Colts OHL 28 1 3 4 13 10 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Barrie Colts OHL 29 5 9 14 31 -10 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Oshawa Generals OHL 33 7 11 18 50 10 11 1 3 4 20
2017-18 Oshawa Generals OHL 67 16 35 51 64 13 5 1 2 3 2
2018-19 Oshawa Generals* OHL 35 8 19 27 44 5          
2018-19 Niagara IceDogs OHL 30 3 26 29 30 -4      

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

51 points last season and 56 points this season. He had a better season than his breakout season last year and proved on two teams he is a top line OHL defence man. 

I would like to keep him in our system

2015-16 Barrie Colts OHL 28 1 3 4 13 10 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Barrie Colts OHL 29 5 9 14 31 -10 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Oshawa Generals OHL 33 7 11 18 50 10 11 1 3 4 20
2017-18 Oshawa Generals OHL 67 16 35 51 64 13 5 1 2 3 2
2018-19 Oshawa Generals* OHL 35 8 19 27 44 5          
2018-19 Niagara IceDogs OHL 30 3 26 29 30 -4      

Have Utica sign him to a AHL contract

Brassard and Niagara starting playoff series tonight against North Bay. I’m expecting the Ice Dogs roll through this first round matchup. Niagara was the highest scoring OHL team this year. And North Bay has the worst goal differential among all OHL playoff teams. The Battalion can score though, when they have their offence clicking, and they might hang with the Ice Dogs for a game or two, but ultimately I expect Niagara to overpower North Bay. I think the last game these two teams played ended in an 8-3 win for Niagara, and I’m expecting more of the same.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Brassard and Niagara starting playoff series tonight against North Bay. I’m expecting the Ice Dogs roll through this first round matchup. Niagara was the highest scoring OHL team this year. And North Bay has the worst goal differential among all OHL playoff teams. The Battalion can score though, when they have their offence clicking, and they might hang with the Ice Dogs for a game or two, but ultimately I expect Niagara to overpower North Bay. I think the last game these two teams played ended in an 8-3 win for Niagara, and I’m expecting more of the same.

The battalion are the Colorado Avalanche of the ohl. When their first line isn't producing they are arguably the worst team haha