The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - NYI

First off, I don't necessarily want this trade to happen. Just looking at scenarios. 

I noticed Tavares is an upcoming UFA. So are the twins. Ladd is signed for 4 more years.

Logic for NYI is a huge push this season after not making the playoffs and to clear Ladd for more $ to re-sign Tavares, etc. next season. VAN could retain some of the Sedin salary if necessary and re-signing the twins after this season is also an option if they are willing.      

Logic for VAN is to obtain the best young asset that NYI is willing to part with.

So something like this, 

NYI: Sedin, Sedin

VAN: Ladd + Nelson or Barazal/Ho Sang/Dal Colle or 1st 2018

Gives the twins a year in Brooklyn and a shot at the Cup. VAN gets an asset. Ladd Sutter Eriksson would be the veteran 1/2 line for the season.

We give up a lot here.  I think if we want to have a remotely interesting team this year that we still need the Sedins to provide secondary scoring.  I think their mentorship to the team and younger guys is important, so we lose that too.  We also reduce the chances of them re-signing with us for another year or two (at a reduced rate, of course).  We also take on Ladd for way too long.  Even this last season he didn't perform up to his salary, so we effectively handcuff our team for another 4 years.  We already have a contract we'd like to lose with Eriksson... I'm not sure we want a second.  Especially retaining Sedins' salary.

Of course, we would still need the Sedins to waive their clauses, and I'm not super keen on shipping them off at the very end of their career; they might as well retire here.

BUT, we do pick up a good prospect.  I just feel there are too many unfortunate/negative elements to this proposal to make it worth our while - even if it gets us another solid young guy.

I'll admit this is probably more for the Sedins than anything. Burrows and Hansen aren't options anymore which leaves them to play on-the-job training again instead of getting the chance they deserve. Also gives them a chance to play in the East. Maybe the league will care about them more if they get a chance to play there?

3 hours ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

First off, I don't necessarily want this trade to happen. Just looking at scenarios. 

I noticed Tavares is an upcoming UFA. So are the twins. Ladd is signed for 4 more years.

Logic for NYI is a huge push this season after not making the playoffs and to clear Ladd for more $ to re-sign Tavares, etc. next season. VAN could retain some of the Sedin salary if necessary and re-signing the twins after this season is also an option if they are willing.      

Logic for VAN is to obtain the best young asset that NYI is willing to part with.

So something like this, 

NYI: Sedin, Sedin

VAN: Ladd + Nelson or Barazal/Ho Sang/Dal Colle or 1st 2018

Gives the twins a year in Brooklyn and a shot at the Cup. VAN gets an asset. Ladd Sutter Eriksson would be the veteran 1/2 line for the season.

like the twins have said They would retire instead of play anywhere else so this will never happen

My hope is at the TDL they want one more kick at a cup and we can trade them to a contender, doubt that happens either

Archived