The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nail Yakupov has interest signing with Canucks

Last year, I would've been absolutely stoked on Yak coming here. "The new coach/new situation," I thought might be his tonic, but he didn't have a great season in St.Louis. 

This year? If the contract is a 1 year and doesn't interfere with cap space needed for better options, it wouldn't be the worst move. 

At his best, Yak was a player who was so excited and hard-working, had all the tools. He's still somewhat young (younger than Weal), and he's very fast, obviously. I personally think he's a good character, and would like it as a depth/project signing on a rebuilding team like Vancouver. 

1 minute ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Last year, I would've been absolutely stoked on Yak coming here. "The new coach/new situation," I thought might be his tonic, but he didn't have a great season in St.Louis. 

Gotta remember who was the coach in St louiee for most of the year. not sure he was Hitch's kind of player.

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

What's the cost of a CDC whipping-boy nowadays?  Megna will be in Utica so we need a replacement.

They're virtually free, but I agree with the angry crowd - Utica should be full of 20 goal NHL forwards - if not, what's the point of signing them?

Well, it should be said that it's Yakupov (or rather his agent) with interest in signing here, rather than the Canucks showing interest.

That said, I'd give him a cheap 1m deal, and force him to make it in camp. If not, waivers, someone claims him, or he is finally forced to learn the defensive side of the game.

Yak is a bit of an enigma. By all accounts he's a gym nut, and works out like crazy. He certainly has the raw talent and speed to go a long with that, he just can't seem to figure out where to be or anticipate plays. 

What does signing him say to goldobin?

Yakupov is such an interesting case. I really though Vegas would have been a good landing spot for him.

Problem on our team is who would he play with?

No chance he plays with the Sedins, can't see him playing with Sven and Bo over Eriksson or Boeser etc.

Also, doubt Sutter would be a good fit for him?

I think I read somewhere he has always been a nux fan as bure was his favourite player, so mix that with extra motivated to save his career maybe he could fit in and become a 20-30 goal scorer.

It's just not a likely story.. but neither was Kassian being a playoff hero for the oilers..

Maybe he plays well with sutter or steals the winger spot with Bo and resurects his career.

36 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I don't think you move Baertschi simply because you've brought in a show-me depth option as you do in any camp - that's something you only do in due course if Yakupov or others command a spot.

I'm not going to debate the idea of splitting up the Sedins here except to say that I wouldn't - I'd leave the other emerging lines to develop together.

I'm not opposed to signing and bringing in another depth/fourth line center - I propose it every year and have suggested targetting John Mitchell this time around - a good defensive, two way, gritty bottom six that is an excellent faceoff guy and will have something to prove / probably come at a reasonable price.

But I also think you''re not showing Chaput any respect in suggesting he's not an "actual 4C".   The guy performed very well with a shallow group - very good underlying numbers and very strong in the faceoff circle (52.7%) for a guy with higher D then Ozone starts.  Chaput imo proved that he's a worthy NHL 4C - and under better circumstances and with that year under his belt, there's nothing to say he's not a good 4C at the NHL level.

I wouldn't trade Baer just for that, but I do think he is the most likely to be an addition to in a trade scenario.

He was good on face offs... yah maybe he can do the job. It will be interesting to see what Green does with him. But Mitchell is exactly the kind of guy I'm talking about. If Chaput can block more shots and do better on takeaways then he'll basically be Mitchell.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see any reason to expect that the Sedins are going to have some kind of magical bounce back year. Apart - and just 5 on 5 btw not on the PP - I don't see how they are going to improve on last year.

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I just do not know, only way is a two way deal so if he brings it he stays if not AHL for life!!

Not sure why anyone would care if it was on a 2 way deal or not. It's not our money and he would still require waivers.

3 minutes ago, Kungfudru said:

I honestly think deadmonton destroyed his development as they do with most of their prospects 

I truly believe they butchered him and Ryan Nugent Hopkins the most.

they both were not ready physically or mentally. I think Nuge especially should have had a path more similar to mark scheiffle

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I wouldn't trade Baer just for that, but I do think he is the most likely to be an addition to in a trade scenario.

He was good on face offs... yah maybe he can do the job. It will be interesting to see what Green does with him. But Mitchell is exactly the kind of guy I'm talking about. If Chaput can block more shots and do better on takeaways then he'll basically be Mitchell.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see any reason to expect that the Sedins are going to have some kind of magical bounce back year. Apart - and just 5 on 5 btw not on the PP - I don't see how they are going to improve on last year.

I'm always in favour of having two centers on the fourth line - Mitchell and Chaput would be great - but the club does have Gaunce and Dorsett as well (and a guy like Molino who also looks like he could be a very good bottom six forward) - so there's the possibility that they just go with what they have.  If it was a win-now situation though, imo another depth center would be a no brainer.

I wouldn't keep the Sedins together based on the hopes of a bounce back - and I think they will be better in any event as long as the blueline is remotely healthy (which plays a large part imo) and the other lines are not as depleted - my primary reason for keeping them together would be that I'd want the succession lines developing with each other - and I do think that with the right linemate, they're most likely most productive together.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I'm always in favour of having two centers on the fourth line - Mitchell and Chaput would be great - but the club does have Gaunce and Dorsett as well (and a guy like Molino who also looks like he could be a very good bottom six forward) - so there's the possibility that they just go with what they have.  If it was a win-now situation though, imo another depth center would be a no brainer.

I wouldn't keep the Sedins together based on the hopes of a bounce back - and I think they will be better in any event as long as the blueline is remotely healthy (which plays a large part imo) and the other lines are not as depleted - my primary reason for keeping them together would be that I'd want the succession lines developing with each other - and I do think that with the right linemate, they're most likely most productive together.

Sure, the hard fore checking RW in the Burr/Hansen mould. It would be great if thats Jake, otherwise who do we have that could really be that? Certainly not Yakupov, unless he really commits to trying to play in a way he hasn't before.

Archived