Canucks Community

[Report] Trent Cull named Head Coach of the Utica Comets

Story as broken by Rick Dhaliwal of News 1130:

Canucks Press Release:

Trent Cull Named Utica Comets Head Coach

by Canucks Media Relations @canucks / Vancouver Canucks
 June 27th, 2017
cut.jpg

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that Trent Cull has been named Head Coach of the Utica Comets. Cull becomes the 2nd Head Coach in Comets history joining Utica from the Syracuse Crunch where he served as Assistant Coach in two stints over eight seasons.

"Trent is a passionate Head Coach with significant AHL experience," said Benning. "He understands the development path of a young player, including the challenges they face, and has been a part of many successful organizations. Trent is a teacher with a positive, energetic work ethic. We're excited to welcome him and his family to our organization."

Cull, 43, was Head Coach of the OHL's Sudbury Wolves for three seasons (2010 to 2013) compiling a 94-88-11-11 record. He served as an Assistant Coach with Syracuse for eight seasons from 2006 to 2010 and again from 2013 to 2017, culminating in an Eastern Conference Championship and berth in the 2017 Calder Cup Final.

"This is an exciting day, as we announce the second coach of the Utica Comets for our fifth anniversary season," Utica Comets President Rob Esche stated. "I was very fortunate to have played with both coaches (Travis & Trent) and I feel that Trent's character and vision will resonate with both his team and Comets fans while strengthening the hockey culture in our area."

The Georgetown, Ontario native played 11 seasons as a defenceman in the AHL and IHL with five teams: St. John's, Houston, Springfield, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and Syracuse. He totaled 618 games as a pro with a 28-79-107 record and 1,629 penalty minutes.

Some Information on Trent Cull from Wikipedia:

Trent Cull (born September 27, 1973) is a Canadianformer professional ice hockey defenceman. He is currently head coach with the [Utica Comets]] of the American Hockey League (AHL).

Trent Cull
Born September 27, 1973 (age 43)
GeorgetownONCAN
Height 6 ft 2 in (188 cm)
Weight 209 lb (95 kg; 14 st 13 lb)
Position Defence
Shot Left
Played for AHL
St. John's Maple Leafs
Springfield Falcons
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
Houston Aeros
Syracuse Crunch
CoHL
Brantford Smoke
IHL
Houston Aeros
NHL Draft Undrafted
Playing career 1994–2004

Cull played ten season of professional hockey, including 435 regular-season games in the American Hockey League (AHL), where he scored 20 goals and 50 assists for 70 points, while earning 1049 career penalty minutes.

Following his playing career, Cull took up coaching to work as an AHL assistant coach with the Syracuse Crunch under Ross Yates from 2006 to 2010. He then accepted a head coaching position in the Ontario Hockey League with the Sudbury Wolveswhere he remained for three seasons before returning to the Syracuse Crunch as an assistant coach with the 2013–14 season.[1]

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Cull

4 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

I like it, a young and upcoming coach with likely the same philosophy as Travis Green.

Also part of the coaching staff for a TBL farm team that produced a good amount of NHL players. Seems like a good choice.

44 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Good to know someone will be behind the bench over there. I was starting to wonder lol

25 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

Don't know much about him but sounds like it should be a good fit.

22 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not a "sexy" pick but definitely has the pedigree for the job. Should be solid.

Like @Derp... I now know that Utica will have a head coach next year, which is good. Like @DJSkingz I don't know much about him. In fact, until 5 minutes ago, I didn't know anything about him. But, thanks to Sid, I now know that he is not sexy.

I wanted to have an opinion on this appointment but, since I know virtually nothing about him, it is hard to have one. Knowing nothing doesn't always stop me from having an opinion but this time it does.

There must be any number of guys floating around the coaching ranks with similar backgrounds on paper, but that does not tell us much. We might just have to wait and see he does with the prospects in Utica before making an assessment.  

Nice pick! Excited to see how he can take the development of few key players such as Cassels, Carcone, McEneny, etc to the next level and continue to develop them into future NHLers. Have a feeling they'll easily surprise and earn a call up like what McEneny had done this past year

I'm not thrilled with this hire but mainly because there are reports that at least four others turned down the job which means they are dropping well down on their list of candidates.

Trent Cull has been an assistant coach in Syracuse during both the Blue Jackets and Lightning era and one thing that has been consistent through the years is that the Crunch are typically near the top in the AHL in PIMs and play physical hockey where Travis Green coached teams have been completely the opposite.  If we are bad we might at least be entertaining.

Giving a guy a chance to prove himself with a decent if unspectacular team. Not a bad way to break in. Getting those feet wet an easier and less stressful way.

As for what he can do, I suppose we'll see it. I'm not bothered if he was first or last on the list of candidates; his results will tell the tale in the end.

Maybe he's '7th round gem' in terms of Coaching. Who knows?

Archived