The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Sam Gagner [3 year x $3.15M AAV]

3 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sure call it the third line and Gagner on the 4th.  I would have preferred a more conventional 4th line.  Someone playing with Dorsett and Gaunce.   

We'll see but I'm not convinced Dorsett isn't 13th to at least start the year. I think they may go slow with him considering the severity/sensitivity of his injury. Will give them a chance to get a look at some other guys initially too.

But yeah, a '4th' line of something like Rodin, Gagner, Eriksson should be fun too watch::D

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

To me and a lot of other hockey minded people, there doesn't seem to be a marco goal in mind, it's far closer to play things day by day and hope for the best. 

Besides the continued use of logical fallacies and the fact that when you grip something like this you hold on and fight like it's grim death (as attested by the past half-dozen pages), evidently you have crossed over to the tired old "I don't get it... there's no plan... mixed messages... it makes no sense... I don't know what they're doing... what's the direction... I haven't a clue" crowd, which at long last has been rapidly disbanding of late.  The way it's going, you may end up a club of one.

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

We'll see but I'm not convinced Dorsett isn't 13th to at least start the year. I think they may go slow with him considering the severity/sensitivity of his injury. Will give them a chance to get a look at some other guys initially too.

I haven't heard much about his recovery so you never know. 

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

But yeah, a '4th' line of something like Rodin, Gagner, Eriksson should be fun too watch::D

What you want eriksson with gagner? who plays with sutter in shut down role?

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Besides the continued use of logical fallacies and the fact that when you grip something like this you hold on and fight like it's grim death (as attested by the past half-dozen pages), evidently you have crossed over to the tired old "I don't get it... there's no plan... mixed messages... it makes no sense... I don't know what they're doing... what's the direction... I haven't a clue" crowd, which at long last has been rapidly disbanding of late.  The way it's going, you may end up a club of one.

I'd rather end up in a club of one than a sheep, or one of oldnew's side kicks like J.R..

Sometimes it's healthy to go against the grain and think for yourself or even take an indepth look at a few other organizations. Sometimes you see that it's not sunshine and roses here in Vancouver. There are enough things to be critical over.

15 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I haven't heard much about his recovery so you never know. 

What you want eriksson with gagner? who plays with sutter in shut down role?

Eriksson with Horvat or Gagner IMO. Him and Boeser are 'interchangeable'...Depends on who earns the larger role on Horvat's line or... Do they want to shelter Boeser? Do they trust Eriksson more defensively in what will surely be a more demanding 2 way role or would they prefer to spread out the 2 way ability and have Eriksson shore that up on Gagner's line?

For shut down, some mix of:

Gaunce, the aforementioned Dorsett (if ready/able), perhaps even Burmistrov (though I think they're hoping for more of a offensive upside role) or Chaput, maybe (though doubtful IMO) a prospect... If Gaunce isn't careful, he might even be put on waivers.

Baer, Horvat, Boeser/Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund 

____, Sutter, ____ (Gaunce, Dorsett, Burmistrov, Chaput)

Rodin/Burmistrov, Gagner, Eriksson/Boeser

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'd rather end up in a club of one than a sheep, or one of oldnew's side kicks like J.R..

:rolleyes:

And you were doing so well being civil and actually having an intelligent conversation for about 4 minutes there... 

29 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I Sometimes you see that it's not sunshine and roses here in Vancouver. There are enough things to be critical over.

Hey, It's summertime. Innit always sunshine and roses in the summer?

31 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sometimes it's healthy to go against the grain and think for yourself or even take an indepth look at a few other organizations. Sometimes you see that it's not sunshine and roses here in Vancouver. There are enough things to be critical over.

lol  fitting that your newest sidekicks are the resident Leafs fluffers - Canadian Rugby and 189lb.

or the combover, ice orca combo.

An in depth look at the CBJ!    As in Oliver Bjorkstrand is a defenseman.  smh.  Cool story.

I better stop.  You'll give me another "schooling" in 'sheltering'.

34 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Eriksson with Horvat or Gagner IMO. Him and Boeser are 'interchangeable'...Depends on who earns the larger role on Horvat's line or... Do they want to shelter Boeser? Do they trust Eriksson more defensively in what will surely be a more demanding 2 way role or would they prefer to spread out the 2 way ability and have Eriksson shore that up on Gagner's line?

For shut down, some mix of:

Gaunce, the aforementioned Dorsett (if ready/able), perhaps even Burmistrov (though I think they're hoping for more of a offensive upside role) or Chaput, maybe (though doubtful IMO) a prospect... If Gaunce isn't careful, he might even be put on waivers.

Baer, Horvat, Boeser/Eriksson

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund 

____, Sutter, ____ (Gaunce, Dorsett, Burmistrov, Chaput)

Rodin/Burmistrov, Gagner, Eriksson/Boeser

I'd like to see brock stick with bo, since he really doesn't fit on other lines.  I'd keep LE and sutter together, that's a good shutdown line with the ability to counter punch.  it seemed to work good last year. Maybe stick dorsett there too.

Which leaves one spot with the twins, I guess granny could play there but he played so well with sutter last year, sedins really need someone to do the heavy lifting,  last year they look really poor in the d zone,  Granny might be the only real logical fit..  

And on the last line a mix of Gagner, Gaunce, Rodin, Burmistrov, Chaput Virtanen,

31 minutes ago, J.R. said:

And you were doing so well being civil and actually having an intelligent conversation for about 4 minutes there... 

I just got the invited to my favorite stampede party which made me happy,  then i realize i was busy and couldn't make it which made me mad....20 more minutes till the first party of the year kicks off so i'm back into the good mode. 

33 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'd like to see brock stick with bo, since he really doesn't fit on other lines.  I'd keep LE and sutter together, that's a good shutdown line with the ability to counter punch.  it seemed to work good last year. Maybe stick dorsett there too.

Which leaves one spot with the twins, I guess granny could play there but he played so well with sutter last year, sedins really need someone to do the heavy lifting,  last year they look really poor in the d zone,  Granny might be the only real logical fit..  

And on the last line a mix of Gagner, Gaunce, Rodin, Burmistrov, Chaput Virtanen,

I just got the invited to my favorite stampede party which made me happy,  then i realize i was busy and couldn't make it which made me mad....20 more minutes till the first party of the year kicks off so i'm back into the good mode. 

How wouldn't Boeser 'fit' on a more sheltered 4th line with a talented play maker? He might score more there/on the PP than playing with Horvat (who will still be relied on for a secondary match up role).

LE is certainly a capable 2 way player but his (and Granlund's) offensive skills are largely wasted in a shut down role.

Having said all this, Ganger could just as easily play on say Horvat's RW and perhaps Burmistrov C's that '4th' line. It's pretty hard to forecast where these guys will all fit having not seen any of them play together, who has chemistry etc.

Baer, Horvat, Gagner

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

Gaunce, Sutter, Dorsett

Rodin, Burmistrov, Eriksson

Doesn't leave room for Boeser though.... 

Maybe tone down the violent mood swings...might help you enjoy CDC a bit more.

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

How wouldn't Boeser 'fit' on a more sheltered 4th line with a talented play maker? He might score more there/on the PP than playing with Horvat (who will still be relied on for a secondary match up role).

LE is certainly a capable 2 way player but his (and Granlund's) offensive skills are largely wasted in a shut down role.

Having said all this, Ganger could just as easily play on say Horvat's RW and perhaps Burmistrov C's that '4th' line. It's pretty hard to forecast where these guys will all fit having not seen any of them play together, who has chemistry etc.

Baer, Horvat, Gagner

Sedin, Sedin, Granlund

Gaunce, Sutter, Dorsett

Rodin, Burmistrov, Eriksson

Doesn't leave room for Boeser though.... 

Maybe tone down the violent mood swings...might help you enjoy CDC a bit more.

Personally havnt heard a whiff about Dors's rehab.  Think it may be possible that his recovery may take some time and that's why we brought in the extra bodies just in case?

1 minute ago, TheOgRook said:

Personally havnt heard a whiff about Dors's rehab.  Think it may be possible that his recovery may take some time and that's why we brought in the extra bodies just in case?

yep - and last year they not only had a whack of injuriies, but (again) had a depth player taken off waivers - so they were unavailable to assign or recall from Utica.

Doesn't hurt to have a few "too many" options.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yep - and last year they not only had a whack of injuriies, but (again) had a depth player taken off waivers - so they were unavailable to assign or recall from Utica.

Doesn't hurt to have a few "too many" options.

This 'problem' seems to have come up a lot the last few years and I've yet to remotely understand the point of view that having 'too many' players is a bad thing.

I doubt you'd find any NHL clubs who would remotely agree you can have too many players.

"Oh no! Turns out one of our prospects is amaz-balls and we have to trade a vet for other assets!" 

-Said no GM ever.

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

"Butbutbut... you'll be stalling the progress of my favourite [insert random prospect name here] forevahhhhhh... " :P

If they can't beat out a collection of 'just decent' vets on a bottom 10 team, they haven't progressed enough, where they've been developing, to earn that spot.

Contrary to what all the millennials might think :lol:

8 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

And he was the only place holder?  There weren't other place holders willing to sign 1 or 2 year depth deal?    How many place holders do canucks need?  Oldnews seemed to agree with my line of thinking less than a month ago.  Here i'll post it again.

"With Goldobin, Boeser, Granlund, Baertschi in the lineup though - it would necessarily mean that someone like Goldobin is bumped down/out of the lineup - and creates even more of a bottleneck with guys like Virtanen, Dahlen, Molino, Gaunce, (perhaps Rodin)."

They need enough to ensure a competitive environment so that no spots are gifted and so that they prospects that play in Utica can have a stronger team.   Whether Oldnews or the Pope agrees with your line of thinking a month ago or three weeks past last Christmas it doesn't matter as that appears to be the Canucks macro plan and it is consistent with what a lot of teams are doing.   Toronto didn't bring in a bunch of retirement aged players as long term investments.    

A 'bottleneck' as you call it is a GOOD THING if you want to improve your hockey team.  When you have players like Megna and Molino competing for top 6 spots at end of last season it begged for more players with actual NHL experience to create a more competitive situation in Vancouver.   GM has done that and you strongly disagree it seems.   Either you need to apply for the job, follow a new team or start to instead of whining constantly look for a sliver lining as if they suck as badly as you are convinced they will, perhaps a better draft pick is in your future.   If they don't, then you have a better team to cheer for.    Seems like you have all sorts of "win" options and I am sure you are used to #winning.

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Who on earth thinks things with a 29th place team are sunshine and roses?   However, direction from ownership seems clearer and your GM went out and rocked the TDL, did a good job at the draft and got some decent returns in the UFA pool for a decent run of a few months.    That and the prospect development last season and emergence of Horvat, Granlund and Baer are all signs of life and something to allow some light at end of tunnel.

I don't think that many (some I will admit) think this is a SC competitive team yet but it as sure as you will dispute this post that this team has improved on paper in just a few short months and now the season awaits to see proof.   Tonights prospect game is likely as eagerly anticipated as any in years - that says something too.

Perhaps if you got off your hate wagon you would seem some signs of life in the team you profess to follow.   Otherwise, hate on or whatever it is you do.   :lol:

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Who on earth thinks things with a 29th place team are sunshine and roses?   However, direction from ownership seems clearer and your GM went out and rocked the TDL, did a good job at the draft and got some decent returns in the UFA pool for a decent run of a few months.    That and the prospect development last season and emergence of Horvat, Granlund and Baer are all signs of life and something to allow some light at end of tunnel.

I don't think that many (some I will admit) think this is a SC competitive team yet but it as sure as you will dispute this post that this team has improved on paper in just a few short months and now the season awaits to see proof.   Tonights prospect game is likely as eagerly anticipated as any in years - that says something too.

Perhaps if you got off your hate wagon you would seem some signs of life in the team you profess to follow.   Otherwise, hate on or whatever it is you do.   :lol:

This. 

The team is generally headed in the right direction. We have a solid, growing and promising group of prospects the depth of which is unheard of in the history of the club.

We have some legit (if underwhelming) NHL vets of assorted ages and some decent young, legit NHL players. 

Has every move worked out? Nope. Anyone expecting so isn't being terribly realistic or fair IMO.

Are we likely to be a good team this year? Probably not. But we're rebuilding and that's OK too. 

And I love that understanding management's motivation for particular things gets viewed as some sort of blind worship. I for instance would have perferred we used Miller's salary on say Niskanen and rolled with Marky and a stop gap (or Lack) back in the day. But I also understand their motivation for going with their approach. Neither is inherently 'right' or 'wrong', just different approaches.

Otherwise I can't complain about much of what they've done, mostly because I was advocating for lots of the moves before they made them :lol: Wanted us to trade for Gudbranson. Wanted to take OJ. Wanted to sign Gagner etc. 

Gee, I wonder why I'm happy with management? :lol:

Now if we can manage to trade one of Tanev or Edler and say Baer at/before the TDL and sign Kane next summer, I'll be even happier! 

Look, is Gagner better than Burrows? Hansen? Is Burmistrov? MDZ better than Tryamkin?

No!

Gagner might be, well is, more talented. But if his game translated he wold be being signed by a strong playoff team. At least he brings skill to the table!

And we're not actually a better team than the one that opened 2016.  

But last year management overrated where we were at. Over relied on Etem & Virtanen making the team. Making the team better. Unfortunately overrated Jovanovski, Eriksson (so did I). Well, hopefully, that was just injury issues, with Jovo anyways... We could have used this years signings to help get over our atrocious lack of depth last year.

The real answer is that Gagner, Burmistrov, MDZ, Wiercioch are at least a heap, no a whole heap, better than the fill posing as players that have passed through lately. Megna, Bartkowski, Weber, Larsen, Skille, Vey, Chaput...

I'm happy with these signings.

Archived