The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Baseball's Gretzky

Hortankin

5 hours ago, TheHitman said:

Questionable victory, Sano got no help from his  pitching. HR derby doesn't matter much anyways.

No, and the HR derby is the only all star event out of any sport worth watching.

He was hitting bombs.  Pop ups to the opposite field were going out, this dude is legit and can hit moon shots. 

5 hours ago, Hortankin said:

No it doesn't but being the first rookie to ever win it has to count for something.. it's not just the home run derby.. he's been lighting up the league since day 1.

A rookie who leads the MLB in HR

Legit shot at triple crown

Broke a Yankee rookie records for HRs that was held for almost a century, in half the games I might add

Judge is going to be the GOAT

I bet he hits 60 HR this year

That's a stretch but McGuire's 49HR rookie record is in serious jeopardy.

6 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

No, and the HR derby is the only all star event out of any sport worth watching.

He was hitting bombs.  Pop ups to the opposite field were going out, this dude is legit and can hit moon shots. 

Anywhere between 55-65.. the guy is something special that's for sure. Really makes me wonder how long before we find out he's doping?

Really hope he's not because he has a bright future ahead of him. I thought I seen somewhere the rookie record is 61 HR.. or is that just a season record?

39 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Really makes me wonder how long before we find out he's doping?

Doubt it, he's 280lbs.  He is just a physical specimen.   They were discussing on the radio that the balls may be juiced(or altered) which is why we're seeing an increase in HR's and pitchers getting blisters. 

Wish the Giants had someone like that on their roster.  I know it's karma for Barroids Bonds but I was laughing that the best bet for a Giant winning the HR Derby would be their pitcher Madison Bumgarner haha.

McGuire holds the rookie HR with 49 in 1987ish with the A's.  The 61HR is the unofficial non juiced(steroids) record set by Roger Maris iirc.

58 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Doubt it, he's 280lbs.  He is just a physical specimen.   They were discussing on the radio that the balls may be juiced(or altered) which is why we're seeing an increase in HR's and pitchers getting blisters. 

Wish the Giants had someone like that on their roster.  I know it's karma for Barroids Bonds but I was laughing that the best bet for a Giant winning the HR Derby would be their pitcher Madison Bumgarner haha.

McGuire holds the rookie HR with 49 in 1987ish with the A's.  The 61HR is the unofficial non juiced(steroids) record set by Roger Maris iirc.

What do you mean by unofficial record?

Judge is gtn atleast 50 barring any injuries

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

This is the thing about Judge that separates him from the rest of the pack. There were several balls that went out to right center that he obviously didn't square up. Even Giancarlo doesn't have that kind of power to the opposite field.

Like Wilbur pointed out, the short porch in Yankee stadium is going to play right into AJ's hands.

As far as the derby goes, even though I had Sano as my "darkhorse" pick, I was disappointed not to see Judge and Stanton not go head to head. I think the fans by the windows would have seen how Londoners felt during the Blitz....

15 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

What do you mean by unofficial record?

Judge is gtn atleast 50 barring any injuries

He means that the "official" record is Barry Bonds with 73. Bonds and the other two players who hit more than 61 (Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa) were obviously juicing, so many people consider 61 to still be the record.

15 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As far as the derby goes, even though I had Sano as my "darkhorse" pick, I was disappointed not to see Judge and Stanton not go head to head.

True, however I do love this newer format.  They(whoever made the brackets) planned it out for those two to go head to head in the final but Stanton started out a little too slow.  Judge was the only batter I notice that took a lot of BP while everyone else was at the plate.

45 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

He means that the "official" record is Barry Bonds with 73. Bonds and the other two players who hit more than 61 (Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa) were obviously juicing, so many people consider 61 to still be the record.

I get ya.. so that's just the season home run record for anybody right? Not just rookies?

It'll be something if he breaks that in his rookie year

7 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

I get ya.. so that's just the season home run record for anybody right? Not just rookies?

It'll be something if he breaks that in his rookie year

Yep. The rookie record is 49 and Judge has an excellent shot at that.

As far as the overall record goes, it might be a bit tougher. (even to get to 62) Attitudes in MLB have changed over the years and one of the big mantras nowadays is "don't let this guy beat you".

A lot of AJ's success in the second half is going to be predicated on how well guys like Didi, Sanchez and Holiday hit behind him. If they're seen as serious threats to the opposition, Judge has a legitimate shot. However, if any (or all) of those guys falter significantly, the opposition won't give him anything to hit. His OBP will remain high, (because he'll walk a lot) but his power numbers will suffer.

• 1 month later...

Boy was this thread ever the kiss of death for Aaron Judge.

:lol:

Aaron Judge Breaks MLB Record By Striking Out in 33rd Consecutive Game

If you had been asked this time last month, this is the last record you would have expected Aaron Judge to break this season. 

With his ninth-inning strikeout in Wednesday night’s game against the Mets, Judge has now struck out in 33 consecutive games, breaking Adam Dunn’s record for non-pitchers.

Judge’s streak dates back to July 8, just before the All-Star break. He is batting .191 with seven home runs and 55 strikeouts during that period. He has struck out multiple times in 18 of the 33 games. 

Dunn set the previous mark in 2012, a year in which he led the majors with 222 strikeouts, one shy of Mark Reynolds’s all-time record. Dunn struck out in the first 32 games of the season. The streak could technically be counted as 36 games, since he struck out in the last four games of the 2011 season as well. 

After hitting .329 in the first half, Judge’s July and August slump has dropped his season average to .290. The Yankees have been able to weather the rookie’s struggles at the plate, though, going 18–14 during the streak. 

But Wednesday night wasn’t all bad for Judge. He also hit a towering 457-foot home run

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/08/16/yankees-aaron-judge-adam-dunn-strikeout-consecutive-games-record

The strike out streak is now at 37 consecutive games.

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:10 PM, nuckin_futz said:

He is batting .191 with seven home runs

Yeah he's about as cold as the Night King right now.  Too bad, he was on pace for 60 bombs before the All star break and that HR derby was the best I've ever seen. 

Archived