The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hortankin

Most underrated Canuck player/prospect  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Sutter is very under rated to IMO

The lack of points he has for the amount of time spent on the ice is unprecedented.

Every calculation of any measurable metric says he is actually one of the most over played and therefore overrated players in recent history. Even his character is in question after his Goldobin public thrashing. I'm not really sure how anyone could ever say he is underrated. He was a key contributor in our horrible finish. 

2 minutes ago, Burnt Gravy said:

The lack of points he has for the amount of time spent on the ice is unprecedented.

Every calculation of any measurable metric says he is actually one of the most over played and therefore overrated players in recent history. Even his character is in question after his Goldobin public thrashing. I'm not really sure how anyone could ever say he is underrated. He was a key contributor in our horrible finish. 

Not to mention his crap possession numbers and poor puck distribution do nothing but hinder hinder the young, offensive minded players we have in the lineup trying to find their game at the NHL level (Goldobin, Granlund, etc etc etc...)

4 minutes ago, Burnt Gravy said:

I'm going to have to disagree.

Sutter was one of our most consistent forwards. Always creating plays and he is great defensively. People pay way too much attention to point totals as if that's the only aspect of the game.

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Not to mention his crap possession numbers and poor puck distribution do nothing but hinder hinder the young, offensive minded players we have in the lineup trying to find their game at the NHL level (Goldobin, Granlund, etc etc etc...)

He is like a 5 gal pail being pulled behind a speed boat. Haha. Cut the rope and let's get going already. 

6 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

I'm going to have to disagree.

Sutter was one of our most consistent forwards. Always creating plays and he is great defensively. People pay way too much attention to point totals as if that's the only aspect of the game.

I'm sorry man, but if you are on the 1st PP and getting as much ice time as him you better be able to contribute offensively. You could sign Richardson to 700k and get the exact same effect. He might even keep his criticisms of our young players in the locker room.

3 minutes ago, Burnt Gravy said:

I'm sorry man, but if you are on the 1st PP and getting as much ice time as him you better be able to contribute offensively. You could sign Richardson to 700k and get the exact same effect. He might even keep his criticisms of our young players in the locker room.

Not Sutters fault. He's a PKer 

He is known for his defensive game so the fact he can fill in on a PP that tells you how good he is right there

Stop judging on point totals. There are so many different ways to play the game. Not everyone is that offensive juggernaut people seem to want a roster full of

Complaining about  cap space is sad considering we are going to have a lot of ELCs coming into the roster

11 minutes ago, Burnt Gravy said:

He might even keep his criticisms of our young players in the locker room.

God that pissed me off.

You want to talk to a young kid about their apparent "lack of balls" behind closed doors? Fine. 

What you don't do is publicly shame the young, high end prospect you just landed via the media.

9 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Not Sutters fault. He's a PKer 

He is known for his defensive game so the fact he can fill in on a PP that tells you how good he is right there

Stop judging on point totals. There are so many different ways to play the game. Not everyone is that offensive juggernaut people seem to want a roster full of

Complaining about  cap space is sad considering we are going to have a lot of ELCs coming into the roster

I'm not complaining about capspace I'm complaining about getting what I paid for. 

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

God that pissed me off.

You want to talk to a young kid about their apparent "lack of balls" behind closed doors? Fine. 

What you don't do is publicly shame the young, high end prospect you just landed via the media.

That was basically the finale for me.

Seriously, let's put ourself in Goldobin's shoes.

He is from a foreign country, trying to make a better life for himself. He gets traded for an highly valuable player on the team and thrown into one of the biggest hockey markets in the world. He is trying to figure out a system created by a twitchy Mcsketcherson who knows he is coaching his last few games and probably doesn't really give a ____. If that isn't bad enough just on its own. One of the vets who you are trying to emulate publicly trashes you after a handful of games. 

I really, really felt bad for the poor kid. 

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

God that pissed me off.

Especially if you're a relatively soft player yourself, which Sutter is.

Pretty big ego for a career average 3rd liner. I guess that's what happens when management and casual fans bill you as "foundational" when the more appropriate word is "replaceable".

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

God that pissed me off.

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Especially if you're a relatively soft player yourself, which Sutter is.

Pretty big ego for a career average 3rd liner. I guess that's what happens when management and casual fans bill you as "foundational" when the more appropriate word is "replaceable".

When did this happen?

My vote is Baertschi or Markstrom.

I would have said Tanev before the whole 'trade Tanev' committee came out full force to overrate the hell out of him. 

I say Baer because he's actually fit really nicely with Bo, and despite his best efforts is likely on the outside looking in with all these kids coming down the pipeline in the near future. But he's pretty much established that he is, in fact, an NHL forward and will likely have a nice career (just not here). He's not a liability in any way, and can contribute offensively.

I say Markstrom because he's been just straight up solid for two consecutive seasons, despite playing on a lousy team. The ugly seasons we've had overall have allowed him to really work on his technique and get a feel for the league without too much pressure. He's overhauled his entire approach to his game - his movements are calmer now, he's more consistent and less of a gambler. He's 6'6 and absolutely massive between the pipes. I honestly felt quite confident watching games with him in net.

As far as prospects, it's obviously Virtanen. 
His skillset is still very tantalizing. He can shoot, he can hit, and he's usually the fastest skater on the ice.
I genuinely think he'll sneak in behind our more skilled prospects and deliver an all-around game with some added timely goalscoring and intimidation factor.

We have other players coming up who can (hopefully) carry the offense. The pressure is now off Jake to deliver in that area. But if he can add intensity, edge, speed, and a booming shot to our arsenal, he'll fit in just fine.

Also, Eriksson should have a bounce back. I think his high-scoring days are done, but let's not try to soil the guy's impressive career. We'll keep him around even just for mentorship.

Remember, he's here even after the Twins retire...

I'm in the minority here but I believe we truly underate Kole Lind as a prospect. He's a terrific player who fell to us in the draft and yet there is barely any talk about him even in his prospect thread. People here thinking virtanen is our most underrated prospect is dumb. We all know what his potential could be it's just the media outside the Canucks which are already portraying him as a bust. 

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

I suppose it depends on where they're rated - outside of Vancouver, guys like Granlund and Gaudette may be overlooked - but here, I'd have to go with the guys who are actively devalued.

Tough one between Sutter and Gudbranson - both of whom are under-rated in general around here, and the subject of some really bad 'analytics'.  I'll say Sutter simply because he's proven himself over a longer period and yet a lot of people continue to completely whiff on his value.

For prospects I'd add Cassels to the list - I think he's all but forgotten, but perhaps shouldn't be - he could become a very good bottom six shutdown C yet.

Of that list I'd go with Virtanen.  Aside from scoring, has shown a lot more game than gets realized imo.

I chose the same two: Sutter and Virtanen. Sutter for the same reasons as you. I chose Virtanen because so many have already declared him a bust. Although he's raised red flags for me, he has all the tools to be a very effective player every team would love to have. Once he realizes the NHL is a job you have to work your butt off for he'll turn it around.

Archived