The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Photography chat and shares

15 hours ago, canuktravella said:

use manual and use manual focus helps u really learn to use your camera proper way 

20 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The current end all be all is the creative cloud bundle with Lightroom and Photoshop.  MacPhun and Luminar have taken the place of the soon to be dead NIK bundle, OnOne is still a decent program to use but better in conjunction with Adobes Lightroom and Photoshop.

At days end LR and PS through the CC bundle is the industry bench as it is.

As for shooting in Auto, try P (priority) and look at the historgram or details of your shot including shuter speed and aperture.  It will be more beneficial than using A (Aperture) or S (Shutter) priority modes to learn what the shooting conditions are when you're getting the shot

Cool, thanks. I've been playing around with the settings and am now in P mode. Holding the shutter button halfway down now displays the shutter speed, the aperture, and ISO so I can learn (just as you suggested). May I just say how f$%#king cool that is? Ahem ...

Sitting in this chair here it's 1/20, F3.5, and 640, and I don't know what I'm talking about, haha. I've got some Googling to do. (I just keep thinking about a photographer in the 1800s reaction to that display)

Don't seem to have those A or S priority modes, it's a beginner camera. It's pretty decent for what it is, has a great zoom, but far too many wacky fluff effects that I will never use. It's almost embarrassing just knowing that they exist on the camera.

Anyway I know it's early for me to ask this but what would be a decent upgrade for a person who wants to move past a beginner camera to a "real" camera? What would be the first intermediate camera that you'd suggest? I'd just like to store that info in my brain for sooner or later.

1 hour ago, Svengali said:

Cool, thanks. I've been playing around with the settings and am now in P mode. Holding the shutter button halfway down now displays the shutter speed, the aperture, and ISO so I can learn (just as you suggested). May I just say how f$%#king cool that is? Ahem ...

Sitting in this chair here it's 1/20, F3.5, and 640, and I don't know what I'm talking about, haha. I've got some Googling to do. (I just keep thinking about a photographer in the 1800s reaction to that display)

Don't seem to have those A or S priority modes, it's a beginner camera. It's pretty decent for what it is, has a great zoom, but far too many wacky fluff effects that I will never use. It's almost embarrassing just knowing that they exist on the camera.

Anyway I know it's early for me to ask this but what would be a decent upgrade for a person who wants to move past a beginner camera to a "real" camera? What would be the first intermediate camera that you'd suggest? I'd just like to store that info in my brain for sooner or later.

Basic CMOS or APSc sensor cameras such as the Nikon D3300-5300 series or Rebel T3i are perfect.  One can buy a moderate prime lens like a nifty 50 (50mm 1.8) and or 55-200mm 24-105mm lens for relatively cheap and have all your bases covered.

Also, here are some basic cheat sheets for aperture, ISO and Shutter speed

Image result for photography cheat sheets

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Svengali said:

depends  on your budget for a new camera  you can get pretty good nikons for 500-1000  or u can get mid level cameras  1500-2000  or more expensive  ones up to 4500. 

my camera cost me 1500  9 yrs ago its indestructible  ive dropped it so many times.  pretty impressed it still works. I wanna do more travel and night time photography  and one with high resolution  im either saving up for a canon 5ds  which is like 4500 or im gonna wait for nikon 820 to be released or a fuji xt2    we will see  or maybe i will go mirrorless  they would be better for travelling smaller  take very good photos. 

As for lens i would buy some thing like a 50mm and a 70-300mm lens   good lens make  even  cheap cameras look great   it just depends on what you wanna do with your photography and how much you wanna spend 

19 hours ago, canuktravella said:

use manual and use manual focus helps u really learn to use your camera proper way 

if you really want to go manual try playing around with a pinhole camera. They're actually a lot of fun. If you still have the body cap for your digital camera you can make one yourself or just buy one for cheap (https://www.pinholeresource.com/index.php/all-products/pinhole-digital-no-dust-body-caps)

Edited by S'all Good Man

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

depends  on your budget for a new camera  you can get pretty good nikons for 500-1000  or u can get mid level cameras  1500-2000  or more expensive  ones up to 4500. 

my camera cost me 1500  9 yrs ago its indestructible  ive dropped it so many times.  pretty impressed it still works. I wanna do more travel and night time photography  and one with high resolution  im either saving up for a canon 5ds  which is like 4500 or im gonna wait for nikon 820 to be released or a fuji xt2    we will see  or maybe i will go mirrorless  they would be better for travelling smaller  take very good photos. 

As for lens i would buy some thing like a 50mm and a 70-300mm lens   good lens make  even  cheap cameras look great   it just depends on what you wanna do with your photography and how much you wanna spend 

If you're moving in to an 820 when it releases you better have the glass to back it up.  Glass for a full frame beast like that will start at a minimum of $840 for the Nikon mounts for almost anything from Rokinon through Tamron and Sigma

Mirrorless is the best way to look right now but still going to cost

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

If you're moving in to an 820 when it releases you better have the glass to back it up.  Glass for a full frame beast like that will start at a minimum of $840 for the Nikon mounts for almost anything from Rokinon through Tamron and Sigma

Mirrorless is the best way to look right now but still going to cost

i worked my ass offf this yr knowing  i was gonna be off work 2 months for knee surgery i have  2 grand saved for a trip to nepal and turkey  and  6 grand saved up for camera and lens   plus im going to turkey and nepal for 3 months i  april or september next yr soo il be able to save a bunch more once im workingg again ya im gonna buy a sigma 50mm that was like 840

Finally got some to post in decent quality. Jpeg just wasn't working.

Shooting towards revelstoke, that's why there's more light on the mountains

resize.thumb.png.836653f800800a0479e81e0f3dedceac.png

Lil chick

resizee.thumb.png.c84b541282bf998efffa7b98babe53ce.png

Just a nice lake, somewhere near revelstoke i believe. Tadpoles everywhere and no people.

resizeee.thumb.png.c927c72278cf0c1fa7edf6a28904e65b.png

Mom's picture of a dog we used to have

resizeeee.thumb.png.e0969190ac8e203e5553edb49154d0ec.png

Edited by Penskih
  • Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Penskih said:

Finally got some to post in decent quality. Jpeg just wasn't working.

Shooting towards revelstoke, that's why there's more light on the mountains

resize.thumb.png.836653f800800a0479e81e0f3dedceac.png

Lil chick

resizee.thumb.png.c84b541282bf998efffa7b98babe53ce.png

Just a nice lake, somewhere near revelstoke i believe. Tadpoles everywhere and no people.

resizeee.thumb.png.c927c72278cf0c1fa7edf6a28904e65b.png

Mom's picture of a dog we used to have

resizeeee.thumb.png.e0969190ac8e203e5553edb49154d0ec.png

Always shoot RAW or if using Fuji, their version of RAW files.  Far better recovery of shadows and highlights

Light pollution is always a pain but Revelstoke is a great place to shoot.  Good sky tracker apps will show you where the MIlkyway is in regards to the horizon to  get that "shot" people speak of.

For Milky way shots, always use a tripod, don't be afraid to bump the ISO to 3200+ and shoot at apertures as high as possible (full stops of F 2.8 or lower)  with your focal set to infinity.  You can find dark sky spots online near your area and the best viewing time of the Milky way at this stage is April through october depending on your placement here in the western hemisphere

Image may contain: sky, night, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky, cloud, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky and nature

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 3

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎13 at 1:08 PM, Warhippy said:

Basic CMOS or APSc sensor cameras such as the Nikon D3300-5300 series or Rebel T3i are perfect.  One can buy a moderate prime lens like a nifty 50 (50mm 1.8) and or 55-200mm 24-105mm lens for relatively cheap and have all your bases covered.

Also, here are some basic cheat sheets for aperture, ISO and Shutter speed

I'm not a photographer kind of guy, but I'm saving this thread in case I become one. Thank you for the info.

It is threads like this that keep me coming back.

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Warhippy, @canuktravella and others for your insights here.  I love taking pics, but fortunately my wife likes to manage the storage and sorting of them... I just don't have the time (ok, don't like to take the time!).  I want to learn how to use the camera better, but for now I only take small steps playing around with the manual settings.  Part of the problem is that the shooting is too often few and far between, only taking pics while traveling or at the SD Wild Animal Park.  Obviously, if I took the time to shoot more and experiment, I would learn more.  Someday...

Was gonna share some pics, but my work laptop won't let me.  I'll post some soon

• Upvote 2