Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Photography chat and shares


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I would suggest Sigma, Hoya's top of the line or B+W whih is about as good a circular filter as you can get.  The cheaper the filter the more light leaks you could have or cross threading and vignetting can be a pain to correct as well.

 

As for use, anything with a sky in it.  I would leave it on for.  Again, go get a solid pair of sunglasses, looking away from the sun find a nice stack of clouds, put the shades on take them off a few times.  You'll see what a CPL can do to an image quickly.  I wouldn't necessarily use it in a city or for portraits but anything with a sky or significant amount of water in it for sure

Awesome, thanks.  I know what you mean about the sunglasses experiment.  There's a place we often stop for food when driving up north out of LA, and the deep blue sky over the mountains looks great to me, but it is blah in the pic.  Looking forward to trying this out :) 

 

Edit: even better, it's a much lower price than Nikon's

Edited by Kragar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

@Warhippy - do you have any experience with large format? just wondering what its like to get into sheet film, I've never handled it. 

I've actually worked with people who have used the old 4x4's and colloidal plates and I can tell you it's not something I am interested in getting in to any time soon lol.

 

With medium format the way it is and prices coming down daily one has to udnerstand that a solid 3x3 with a digital back or a medium format or old field camera is a far more economical way to go.

 

Which isn't to say it's not intriguing and producing incredible results, but the amount of time money and such shallow prospect of monetary return make it very unappealing 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I've actually worked with people who have used the old 4x4's and colloidal plates and I can tell you it's not something I am interested in getting in to any time soon lol.

 

With medium format the way it is and prices coming down daily one has to udnerstand that a solid 3x3 with a digital back or a medium format or old field camera is a far more economical way to go.

 

Which isn't to say it's not intriguing and producing incredible results, but the amount of time money and such shallow prospect of monetary return make it very unappealing 

I was actually thinking of the large format polaroid backs paired with a pinhole camera... i really love the images from pinhole, and the fact that I don't have to buy lenses :lol: thats one way to keep the costs down. Something along the lines of this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjMbis7eb1QIVloKzCh3KdgRCEAQYAyABEgLI4vD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=151567

 

I've seen some backs for large format polaroid film for pretty cheap on eBay, and I like the immediate results too. I think I could get into it for <$200 (not including film) so its a cheap way to try it out. 

 

I loved your Instagram portfolio btw, really impressive. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

I was actually thinking of the large format polaroid backs paired with a pinhole camera... i really love the images from pinhole, and the fact that I don't have to buy lenses :lol: thats one way to keep the costs down. Something along the lines of this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&O=&Q=&ap=y&c3api=1876%2C{creative}%2C{keyword}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjMbis7eb1QIVloKzCh3KdgRCEAQYAyABEgLI4vD_BwE&is=REG&m=Y&sku=151567

 

I've seen some backs for large format polaroid film for pretty cheap on eBay, and I like the immediate results too. I think I could get into it for <$200 (not including film) so its a cheap way to try it out. 

 

I loved your Instagram portfolio btw, really impressive. 

 

 

 

 

Ohhh you're thinking Pinhole!

 

Ilford will be your friend.  They make some of the best paper for this format.  There's a few great labs in the city that will be able to do this kind of development for you but (and this is just me) you'll lose any real creative aspect in the film development as they'll develop the image to their specifications as to what the machines tell them to.

 

IIRC this will take ISO 200 or iso 400 which is still pretty easily found.  They're a bit tricky to use at first but man they do take some quality images.

 

Thanks by the way, I cull my IG portfolio once a month and don't tend to post much in the way of portraiture.  Just seems weird posting pictures of people I don't really know that well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Ohhh you're thinking Pinhole!

 

Ilford will be your friend.  They make some of the best paper for this format.  There's a few great labs in the city that will be able to do this kind of development for you but (and this is just me) you'll lose any real creative aspect in the film development as they'll develop the image to their specifications as to what the machines tell them to.

 

IIRC this will take ISO 200 or iso 400 which is still pretty easily found.  They're a bit tricky to use at first but man they do take some quality images.

 

Thanks by the way, I cull my IG portfolio once a month and don't tend to post much in the way of portraiture.  Just seems weird posting pictures of people I don't really know that well

yah there's just something about pinhole I like, that plus any other type large format is just way out of our budget at the moment 

 

my wife and I were given an old Durst 606 enlarger for free about 10 years ago or so and so far we didn't do anything with it... just dug it out last week and its really a nice system, very simple but everything about it is good quality so we're going to set that up for doing our own print developing, really just for the physical nature of it. we both have way too much computer time during the week so its nice to get your hands dirty and make prints even if most of them are failed experiments 

 

for film developing I might pick up one of these when they are available again later this year: http://www.ars-imago.com/lab-box/

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

yah there's just something about pinhole I like, that plus any other type large format is just way out of our budget at the moment 

 

my wife and I were given an old Durst 606 enlarger for free about 10 years ago or so and so far we didn't do anything with it... just dug it out last week and its really a nice system, very simple but everything about it is good quality so we're going to set that up for doing our own print developing, really just for the physical nature of it. we both have way too much computer time during the week so its nice to get your hands dirty and make prints even if most of them are failed experiments 

 

for film developing I might pick up one of these when they are available again later this year: http://www.ars-imago.com/lab-box/

 

 

 

Film isn't as easy to come across but man they are fun to use.

 

Get ready for an announcement from Mamiya as well if you're in to analog use

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Apparently they've possibly created something new.  One of my favorite film bodies

interesting... i'll keep an eye out. We bought an old C330 (the dual lens with the focusing screen, very fun) for under $100 to try out medium format, and even after all the abuse it took it still worked well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

interesting... i'll keep an eye out. We bought an old C330 (the dual lens with the focusing screen, very fun) for under $100 to try out medium format, and even after all the abuse it took it still worked well. 

Yes sir, ever since Phase one took them over in 2015 they've been tinkering with bodies and digital backs for them.  Some exciting stuff coming apparently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shot is a bit noisy because a friend shot it on an older body but shot me the RAW file to develop.  But remember, we're right in the heart of Milky way season.

 

Great apps for sky tracking include Dark Skies and Star Tracker.  Always try shooting near a new moon or after the moon has set for at least an hour

 

Image may contain: sky, night, outdoor and water

 

Image may contain: night, sky, outdoor, water and nature This second image is one of mine shot in the same area 2 months earlier.  it is essential to get away from city lights to get those crisp pictures with detail of the milky way or aurora

 

 

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So what IS everyone's favorite genre or field of shooting?

 

Myself I love astrophotography and the challenge of portraiture and shaping of light.  But would kill to get in to more journalistic or sports style endeavors.  Which are limited in a town as small as Penticton.

 

But having a camera on any road trip ever is one of the reasons I bought my first body.  I realized too late I'd worked across the globe without actually ever taking a single photo of where I'd been.  Then after my accident haven't really traveled since.  

 

Always have a camera on you

 

Image may contain: tree, sky, outdoor, nature and water

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, outdoor, nature and water

 

Someone asked me about why I shoot in RAW vs JPEG.  I answered them like this with this before and after I touched up in lightroom

 

Before and After.

Why do i shoot in RAW format? Well here is a very quick very laymans layout as to why I shoot RAW instead of JPEG

JPEG is the fast food of photo formats. The camera self corrects colours, shadows, highlights and white balance. Your camera takes an image and makes a complete and finished product with what's available in micro seconds.

RAW format shooting is like having the RAW ingredients for a meal. You have conplete and total control over everything from colour corrections to white balance allowing you to make proper and vital adjustments where needed.

RAW format is literally making a gourmet meal out of what is available. The colours, the shadows the highlights and more are the protein, the starch and the vegetables you create your image out of.

At the end of the day you can have a fast food image which is suitable for some. Or you can have a gourmet creation that was put together from your vision.

Here is my example of that before and after after shooting in RAW format sized to a 2:1 ratio with some pixelation.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So what IS everyone's favorite genre or field of shooting?

 

Myself I love astrophotography and the challenge of portraiture and shaping of light.  But would kill to get in to more journalistic or sports style endeavors.  Which are limited in a town as small as Penticton.

 

But having a camera on any road trip ever is one of the reasons I bought my first body.  I realized too late I'd worked across the globe without actually ever taking a single photo of where I'd been.  Then after my accident haven't really traveled since.  

 

Always have a camera on you

 

As nature-y as I can get.  Landscapes and animals, as much as I can.  Less into taking pics of people, which might drive the wife a little nuts at times, so I need to make an effort to take some of her while we are on vacation.

 

My brother-in-law took an underwater pic of a humpback swimming towards him.  Looks awesome, albeit a little grainy (no surprise there).  Would have been exhilarating to be there for that kind of shot.

 

Astrophotography looks fun, but I haven't had much success in the few times I have tried.  I haven't figured out how to get it past the 30-second exposure limit on my camera, and kept forgetting about that limit, since I rarely tried shooting the night sky.  I've got instructions now, and I have the tri-pod and shutter remote.  I just need to get past that setting, and get some practice in and see how it goes.  Would love to get some aurora shots.  I've never seen them in real life.  

 

BTW, are you seeing them in the Penticton area, or do you need to go up North a bit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Kragar said:

As nature-y as I can get.  Landscapes and animals, as much as I can.  Less into taking pics of people, which might drive the wife a little nuts at times, so I need to make an effort to take some of her while we are on vacation.

 

My brother-in-law took an underwater pic of a humpback swimming towards him.  Looks awesome, albeit a little grainy (no surprise there).  Would have been exhilarating to be there for that kind of shot.

 

Astrophotography looks fun, but I haven't had much success in the few times I have tried.  I haven't figured out how to get it past the 30-second exposure limit on my camera, and kept forgetting about that limit, since I rarely tried shooting the night sky.  I've got instructions now, and I have the tri-pod and shutter remote.  I just need to get past that setting, and get some practice in and see how it goes.  Would love to get some aurora shots.  I've never seen them in real life.  

 

BTW, are you seeing them in the Penticton area, or do you need to go up North a bit?

Astrophotography is a fun blend of wide open apertures moderately high ISO settings and long exposure of 25 seconds or under to avoid star trails or elongation of stars.  Anything longer than 23 seconds depending on lens width leads to movement of stars due to the earths rotation

 

In Penticton I drive up to the Carmi reservoir, it's fairly close only a 15 minute drive up to the highlands to the reservoir.  The hardest part of this is Kelowna's light pollution can be a significant mask depending on the ambient light/lunar phase.  You don't have to drive far at all honestly, just be away from city lights and looking north to north east

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Astrophotography is a fun blend of wide open apertures moderately high ISO settings and long exposure of 25 seconds or under to avoid star trails or elongation of stars.  Anything longer than 23 seconds depending on lens width leads to movement of stars due to the earths rotation

 

In Penticton I drive up to the Carmi reservoir, it's fairly close only a 15 minute drive up to the highlands to the reservoir.  The hardest part of this is Kelowna's light pollution can be a significant mask depending on the ambient light/lunar phase.  You don't have to drive far at all honestly, just be away from city lights and looking north to north east

Perfect, thanks.  I knew about the star movement but not the exposure time associated with it.  For the most part I don't want star trails, as milky way shots are more cool than streaking stars, IMO.

 

Almost forgot... one goofball thing I do is what I call belly shots.  Perhaps not as fun as what comes to mind with that phrase, but it involves just leaving the camera hanging around my neck (and so, near my belly), making a guess on the angle, and taking a shot.  I'll do this at weddings or parties sometimes.  Fun way to get some odd-angle shots of people having fun.  Sometimes it works, often not (hooray for digital!).  Part of the fun of course is that people don't realize I am taking a pic, so there is no posing to mess things up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...