The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mafia: Revolution - game (finally) over; Mafia win

Master Radishes

To explain to our final four contenders:

There was technically a scenario where the SK could beat the Mafia. This scenario was pretty much ruined by the fact the Mafia knew J23 was SK (via ilduce's final investigation). But I always try to follow the rules to the letter as GM, without making any 'exceptions', to avoid influencing players reading into my actions. Therefore, the game had to continue. Other GMs would do it differently, of course.

I sort of assumed everyone would just lock their votes in and we could be done with it, but I'm glad you all had fun debating for one more round. :P

My thoughts:

-So many stupid God-kills. Very frustrating. I mean, I knew a game of 30 would feature a few - a lot of people just signed up because everyone else was doing it, not because they had time to commit - but this was too many. At least it hurt both sides in roughly equal proportion.

-Almost none of the special roles were used. :lol: A bunch died, the CPS never got its act together, and so on. I put in various extra killing roles to speed the game up, and they were completely ineffective.

-The mafia were strong. Even after it went to hell for them, Aladeen and Zfetch had strong final rounds, creating chaos that allowed jazz and BJ to hide in the crowd. Even the DPS had some pretty poor reads until the last couple of rounds.

-Credit to AV/J23. They played a 3P Survivor role well, keeping their heads down but not too much. They deserved to make it as far as they did.

-This game ultimately became the longest in CDC history, but in my mind there's an asterisk, because it doesn't really 'deserve' it like other games did. It was fun at times, but overall surely not more memorable than Zodiac, GoT, or Casa del Horror.

Alright guys, it's been fun, but I'm heading back into retirement on top. It's been a lot of fun - this is the first time where I've made it to the end and won - and it's probably been the most TP game I've ever played (until the last round, that is :P).

Hit me up if there's ever another Mafia alumni game, but I'm hanging up the skates for now.

2 hours ago, Go Faulk Yourself said:

Hmm okay. Well good on you BJ, and Jazz. You both played great games. Good on you J-23 for getting this far as the SK too.

Yeah what I was attempting to do was pretty much impossible. Good game homie. Also I still have the biggest L from last game where I choked big time.

1 hour ago, Master Radishes said:

-So many stupid God-kills. Very frustrating. I mean, I knew a game of 30 would feature a few - a lot of people just signed up because everyone else was doing it, not because they had time to commit - but this was too many. At least it hurt both sides in roughly equal proportion.

So I was thinking, what if we just got rid of inactivity godkills?

I know they serve a purpose, but I think they have the potential to influence games too much and we've seen it happen before. 

I feel like the rule doesn't really change how people play, seeing as godkills are still common. Maybe the threat of a godkill does motivate some inactive players to vote once in a while, but is that really what we're trying to accomplish? Voting alone doesn't mean much. I think a player who votes once every two rounds and says nothing else would be just as frustrating as a player who never says anything. 

Those who contribute regularly aren't going to suddenly become inactive if the rule is changed. Most players go beyond the minimum requirement so it shouldn't have an effect on them.

There's also the option of changing the rule to one vote and one post of substance. I think that's how it used to be at one point. This doesn't solve the issue of keeping the game balanced because godkills would still happen, but if we're going to stick with an activity requirement, I think this works better because a post of substance gives us something to read into, whereas a player who only votes is barely playing the game.

Archived