The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mafia: Revolution - game (finally) over; Mafia win

Master Radishes

5 hours ago, Time Lord said:

So I was thinking, what if we just got rid of inactivity godkills?

I know they serve a purpose, but I think they have the potential to influence games too much and we've seen it happen before. 

I feel like the rule doesn't really change how people play, seeing as godkills are still common. Maybe the threat of a godkill does motivate some inactive players to vote once in a while, but is that really what we're trying to accomplish? Voting alone doesn't mean much. I think a player who votes once every two rounds and says nothing else would be just as frustrating as a player who never says anything. 

Those who contribute regularly aren't going to suddenly become inactive if the rule is changed. Most players go beyond the minimum requirement so it shouldn't have an effect on them.

There's also the option of changing the rule to one vote and one post of substance. I think that's how it used to be at one point. This doesn't solve the issue of keeping the game balanced because godkills would still happen, but if we're going to stick with an activity requirement, I think this works better because a post of substance gives us something to read into, whereas a player who only votes is barely playing the game.

I agree that it doesn't really change how people play, but to me what it does is protect the TP from voting for inactives, which would undoubtedly happen, rather than scumhunting properly. A game like this, without the GKs, would see Otis and Barzal still alive in the final round - either that, or they would have been lynched by opportunistic mafia/potato town, allowing Aladeen and Zfetch to have lived on instead.

I see the function of God kills as purging the game of parasites that threaten to destabilise a game, rather than as a stick to encourage voting and discussion (because you're right - it doesn't actually do the latter very successfully.)

1. milk and honey

2. Alain Vigneault

3. Master Radishes

I'm gone until Saturday, so if the game starts before then I'll be MIA for the first round. But I can't miss a Zfetch game. I'm going to make amends and ensure it hits an even higher post count than this game. (Unless the stupid mafia kill me, of course.)

3 hours ago, Master Radishes said:

1. milk and honey

2. Alain Vigneault

3. Master Radishes

I'm gone until Saturday, so if the game starts before then I'll be MIA for the first round. But I can't miss a Zfetch game. I'm going to make amends and ensure it hits an even higher post count than this game. (Unless the stupid mafia kill me, of course.)

Good idea to establish that early wolf cover. Depending on my allegiance, I'll miss the 1st round too.

6 hours ago, Master Radishes said:

I agree that it doesn't really change how people play, but to me what it does is protect the TP from voting for inactives, which would undoubtedly happen, rather than scumhunting properly. A game like this, without the GKs, would see Otis and Barzal still alive in the final round - either that, or they would have been lynched by opportunistic mafia/potato town, allowing Aladeen and Zfetch to have lived on instead.

I see the function of God kills as purging the game of parasites that threaten to destabilise a game, rather than as a stick to encourage voting and discussion (because you're right - it doesn't actually do the latter very successfully.)

Makes sense, I didn't think about it that way

1. milk and honey

2. Alain Vigneault

3. Master Radishes

4. Intoewsables

5. HashtagNucks

6. Blue Jay 22

7. Dral

8. Time Lord

9 hours ago, Master Radishes said:

Yeah I agree with this. I think you have to either GK or sub people who aren't playing the game otherwise you'd end up with end-game scenarios involving people who aren't playing. 

I do think we should talk about what actually is acceptable activity. I know just voting once every two rounds isn't anywhere close and I think we should come up with some kind of standard for activity. Maybe something along the lines of a 5 post minimum per round? Anything less is hardly enough to really be a part of the game if I'm being honest. 

1 hour ago, Beluga Whale said:

Yeah I agree with this. I think you have to either GK or sub people who aren't playing the game otherwise you'd end up with end-game scenarios involving people who aren't playing. 

I do think we should talk about what actually is acceptable activity. I know just voting once every two rounds isn't anywhere close and I think we should come up with some kind of standard for activity. Maybe something along the lines of a 5 post minimum per round? Anything less is hardly enough to really be a part of the game if I'm being honest. 

5 meaningful posts. not just 5 unvoting, voting, unvoting, a joke post, and i think he is scummy post.

potatoes will always bend the rules as much as possible

we gotta be careful though because we can go from 30 with half potatoes to like 15 in a game or 2. then after a while with a new rule like this it might be like 8-10 and could get smaller from there.

For example Baka is a good player but is quiet early on.

we should have a town meeting to discuss future mafia rules tbh.

edit: maybe on discord?

https://discordapp.com/channels/185689815646208000/326795332325212160

1 hour ago, milk and honey said:

5 meaningful posts. not just 5 unvoting, voting, unvoting, a joke post, and i think he is scummy post.

potatoes will always bend the rules as much as possible

we gotta be careful though because we can go from 30 with half potatoes to like 15 in a game or 2. then after a while with a new rule like this it might be like 8-10 and could get smaller from there.

For example Baka is a good player but is quiet early on.

we should have a town meeting to discuss future mafia rules tbh.

edit: maybe on discord?

https://discordapp.com/channels/185689815646208000/326795332325212160

@DoughtysCheck why the hell did you minus this?   People might actually listen to you if you stopped acting like a douchenozzle.

Archived