The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Twenty years ago today the Canucks signed Mark Messier

Roger Neilsons Towel

"It's been twenty years Canucks fans, feel any better about the Messier mess?"

Well, it is proof that when all hope is lost, things appear bleak, you can't see the team ever getting back to the Cup, we can't see the future beyond the present, that things do indeed change and get better.

2 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Personally I will never forgive him and Keenan for stripping Linden of his captaincy (forcing him to step down) and his subsequent trade because Messier felt the team was still loyal to Linden and his ego couldn't take that. 

say what you will about the bad feelings surrounding the linden trade

it was actually a brilliant trade in terms of the return

i have always felt that was the only good thing keenan left the canucks

the return on the linden trade

3 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

Personally I will never forgive him and Keenan for stripping Linden of his captaincy (forcing him to step down) and his subsequent trade because Messier felt the team was still loyal to Linden and his ego couldn't take that. 

3 hours ago, pluralsight said:

Also, forcing the late Wayne Maki's number 11 out of unofficial retirement. 

Also, forcing Keenan to get rid of Gelinas along with Linden because he was a solid Linden supporter. Never mind that he was the teams MVP the previous season. So he went on and scored the 7th game overtime goal against the Canucks for Calgary in the 2004 playoffs. We fans had to pay the karma. What a disastrous three years.

The hype surrounding the signing was unreal. When you think about it today, imagine signing at 36 year old player with nothing left to prove to a contract like that, to a team that should have been rebuilding, and selling it to fans as the missing piece to winning a cup.

The Colorado series in 96 proved the core was done, and them missing the playoffs the next season and Linden losing his iron man streak was the nail in the coffin. Bure was unhappy. People were already questioning Linden's leadership and if he was past his best before date.

I hate to show any sympathy to Messier, but I wonder what BS he was fed about coming to Vancouver to win. We bent over backwards to get Messier to sign here. I don't blame him for phoning it in while he was here, especially years 2 and 3. He played for a garbage team.

It's definitely a typical Vancouver Canucks move. And we think ownership is meddling with the team now...

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

say what you will about the bad feelings surrounding the linden trade

it was actually a brilliant trade in terms of the return

i have always felt that was the only good thing keenan left the canucks

the return on the linden trade

The only good that came of it was that the whole imploded so badly that we were forced to accept a rebuild. I think if Messier had even gotten us back to the playoffs even once, ownership would have clung on to that core to the bitter end. Would've never been in a position to draft the Sedins.

Naslund credits Messier big time helping him in his career and becoming the player that he did.

Traded Linden for Berruzzi McCabe and Rutuu. Sucking + McCabe = Sedins. Traded Bertuzzi for Luongo. Luongo for Matthias and Markstrom. Got Linden back anyway.

So we got peak Naslund, Bertuzzi, The Sedins and Luongo because we signed Messier. 5 players, franchise players, Messier should have been for us.

it was one of the worst moments in franchise history 

messier was a mess

didnt he chase bure out also ? 

i didnt realise he chased out linden an gelinas 

i dunno wtf we were thinking back then 

was probably the same people who decided sundin would be a good idea

12 minutes ago, VanCityE said:

it was one of the worst moments in franchise history 

messier was a mess

didnt he chase bure out also ? 

i didnt realise he chased out linden an gelinas 

i dunno wtf we were thinking back then 

was probably the same people who decided sundin would be a good idea

Keenan was the GM not Gillis.

so keenan brought the mess

gillis did alot of good for a the crap he took , im surprised if he brought sundin

i was a huge gillis hater, wanted him gone soooo bad

but when you look back on his body of work, i respect he was gonna make us a contender and gave us a time frame , then excecuted it.

i have always felt gillis biggest mistake was not telling the people of vancouver how badly we would fall after.

i think we all felt we could just sorta stay afloat.

not a gillis fan so i wont defend him if you jump down my throat lol

just my opinion he was a pretty decent gm in alot of ways, definatly made some huge huge mistakes though 

Absolute Frack! %&*#$%

Unfortunately, I remember exactly where I was.  In between Banf on the road to the hiking trail at (I think its called) Sunshine mountain. 

Myself and my wife went straight back to town. To celebrate & party regarding our impending Stanley Cup, and in Mess's Alberta.

Blech! :sick:

A year of plusses every day to whoever can caption & picture the best Messier, you sulk moment?

55 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Naslund credits Messier big time helping him in his career and becoming the player that he did.

Traded Linden for Berruzzi McCabe and Rutuu. Sucking + McCabe = Sedins. Traded Bertuzzi for Luongo. Luongo for Matthias and Markstrom. Got Linden back anyway.

So we got peak Naslund, Bertuzzi, The Sedins and Luongo because we signed Messier. 5 players, franchise players, Messier should have been for us.

What Naslund doesn't say is that he learned from Messier's terrible example.  He should have been suspended without play with the pitiful excuse for effort he put out on a nightly basis.  Add in the serious character issues off the ice and it's a pretty clear example of what not to do.

Archived