The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Twenty years ago today the Canucks signed Mark Messier

Roger Neilsons Towel

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I would say GM Place/Rogers Arena has more to do with the Canucks growing than Messier ever did. It's a great place to watch a game. 

This is one of the worst moves Quinn ever did. Leadership wasn't the problem on the Canucks. The team should have drafted better D-men. And not waste picks on guys like Josh Holden and Brad Ference. 

I agree 100%. We needed D at the time not a washed up has been 

On 7/29/2017 at 7:11 AM, VanCityE said:

so keenan brought the mess

gillis did alot of good for a the crap he took , im surprised if he brought sundin

i was a huge gillis hater, wanted him gone soooo bad

but when you look back on his body of work, i respect he was gonna make us a contender and gave us a time frame , then excecuted it.

i have always felt gillis biggest mistake was not telling the people of vancouver how badly we would fall after.

i think we all felt we could just sorta stay afloat.

not a gillis fan so i wont defend him if you jump down my throat lol

just my opinion he was a pretty decent gm in alot of ways, definatly made some huge huge mistakes though 

I thought it was Quinn who brought Messier?

20 year ago Barbie Girl by Aqua was always on the radio - bring that up as that song meant to the history of music what Messier's contract meant to the Canucks - both were annoying and are only remembered with a facepalm and a groan.

38 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

20 year ago Barbie Girl by Aqua was always on the radio - bring that up as that song meant to the history of music what Messier's contract meant to the Canucks - both were annoying and are only remembered with a facepalm and a groan.

Meanwhile, management were singing "Truly Madly Deeply" to Messier....

On 7/28/2017 at 3:38 PM, Toews said:

Messier is a lightning rod of criticism during that period because he was visible when he was on the ice. The real culprits though people may not want to admit it are the people that capitulated to his every demand during negotiations. They treated him as he was better than the franchise when they gave him Wayne Maki's number and this was compounded by Linden handing over the captaincy. Messier was always egotistical but they practically handed him the keys to the organization. Setting rules and boundaries and impressing upon players that no one is bigger than the franchise is what the message should always be. Messier was as harmful as he was because the day they signed him they made him the most powerful figure in the organization. I am not trying to minimize his role in all of this but the blame primarily lies at the feet of the people that created this situation.

Kinds of like the way Lebron James is to the Cavs, except that Lebron took the Cavs to 3 straight NBA finals and winning 1. Messier on the other hand acted like he is the best player in the league when he was merely a past his prime player, unable to make significant impact on the ice. He probably knew he was past his prime and like all the other good Canadians, he should have kept himself humble. He should have declined captaincy from Linden and should not have taken #11. He was so faceless as to think that he contributed to the growth of the team, deserving of that money. 

But I do agree that the organization also f*cked it up big time by basically handing over the keys to the organization. 

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Twenty years ago, I had to get an enema....that actually ranks higher than the subject of this thread from my POV.

thats funny, and it also had the same outcome as the Messier signing 

Archived