The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sam Gagner | C/W

-AJ-

• 5 weeks later...

I'd like to see a more NHL proven guy, rather than Burmistrov, play with Gagner and Virtanen. Vanek would be interesting.... this could be a bottom six line that preys on weaker defensive matchups.  How nice to have a bit of talent this year to spread out through the four lines. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking Vanek will prove beneficial on the power play, eventually.  Pretty much given up on Eriksson as well.  Perhaps we could package these guys up and get a legitimate starting goalie.  As much as I like him as a person, Markstrom is demonstrating that he can't stop pucks.

He had a decent game against Winnipeg, playing over 16 minutes with an assist and 4 shots on goal. Outside of that he has been around the 13 minute mark and has contributed nothing really. Vanek has had a few more chances and has at least scored, in addition to using his size in a few occasions. 

I love the Del Zotto signing, like the Vanek signing, despise the Eriksson contract and wish we did without Gagner but he looks good compared to Eriksson. 

As for Burmistrov I've liked him so far. Noticeable speed, two-way play, and he still has some potential. Plus his contract is peanuts. 

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I still like him and Virtanen together. I'd like to give that combo a bit more time.

paired with Jake he has been good, he's a responsible player that has allowed Jake to make some nice rushes to the net. 

He was one of the best players on the ice against Edmonton. He consistently hustled, showed strong defensive awareness, backchecked hard, forechecked hard, was overall a noticeable player on the ice. He hasn't been as noticeable these past couple games but neither has the rest of the team.

50 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I still like him and Virtanen together. I'd like to give that combo a bit more time.

Agreed - although I want to see Virtanen with the Sedins - I think they need what he brings in order to open up some space for them

But Gagner has been good with Jake.  Only has 1 point thus far, but not really concerned - he's not seeing much pp opportunity, and he's had a revolving door of linemates thus far.

I think the thing about Gagner - he's a streaky player.  He'll go stretches where you wonder why he isn't in the AHL and then he'll tear it up and look like a game breaker for other stretches.  He appeared to be more consisternt recently in his career, particularly last year.

m

I'm actually liking him thus far and think he's likely to get better as the lines gain a bit more stability, and develop some chemistry - and the main reason I like him is his effort level and his battle despite the fact he's overmatched physically.  He's thrown and taken some hits and been on the wrong side of most of them, but he'sengaging and so I have time and patience for him.  I think he's going to be a good, versatile middle six forward with some veteran stability and skillset that will work well with the younger guys as more of them filter into the lineup.

2 hours ago, Bavel_Pure said:

I'm thinking Vanek will prove beneficial on the power play, eventually.  Pretty much given up on Eriksson as well.  Perhaps we could package these guys up and get a legitimate starting goalie.  As much as I like him as a person, Markstrom is demonstrating that he can't stop pucks.

i like vanek demeanor. he just goes and knocks jagr down like its nothing. he is a fun interview too.

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

Useless like vanek,  loui "but he's a little things two way guy" Eriksson, and burmistrov.

id rather have signed tanner glass than Sam gagner.

its a bit early to be writing Gagner off.  you have to give him at least 30-40 games. i wonder if the pressure in van is to much for eriksson and his contract.  

the big pacific division might be a factor too. 

2 hours ago, Bavel_Pure said:

Incredibly unimpressed with his showing so far.  Soft in battles, doesn't seem to be contributing much in any way really.  Does he have an identity on this team? Is it too early to tell?  Would love to hear different views on this.

Exactly how he's always played, don't expect anymore.

2 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Useless signing...Goldibin would be more useful for us at the moment maybe even Archibald.

It's these types of signings ( soft, old, and non compete guys) that are keeping fans away.  Yes, we want to see our younger player.   

Archived