The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Coyotes re-sign Anthony Duclair

RetroCanuck

30 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

Didn't even real his contract was up. This is a good deal if true. Hope he has a stronger showing this time around and pushes for a multi-year deal next. 

I like duclairs speed and skill set, hopefully he bounces back.

3 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

I like duclairs speed and skill set, hopefully he bounces back.

Ya, he went from 20 goals and one of the top young players in the league to ... well not very good at all.  I wonder what changed for him to have such a change?  

.....and most of you folks want to follow the Oiler model of running a team into the ground. I saw too much of this nonsense in the Canucks early days, giving all of their first round picks a spot on the roster, the only one that panned out was Don Lever. All of those first round picks were either traded within two years or struggled terribly.

10 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

.....and most of you folks want to follow the Oiler model of running a team into the ground. I saw too much of this nonsense in the Canucks early days, giving all of their first round picks a spot on the roster, the only one that panned out was Don Lever. All of those first round picks were either traded within two years or struggled terribly.

Other than Neely, how many of those early first round picks were elite difference makers though.  Trevor Linden and the Twins started on the big club at young ages, and they led (arguably) our best teams.  If a young guy earns a spot, he should get to play.

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Other than Neely, how many of those early first round picks were elite difference makers though.  Trevor Linden and the Twins started on the big club at young ages, and they led (arguably) our best teams.  If a young guy earns a spot, he should get to play.

He wasn't elite until Tom Watt ran him out of town to Boston. That kid oozed talent, but never got a chance in Vancouver. Like I said only Lever proved that he was ready in Vancouver. Lever did score 40 or thereabouts early in his career. Forgot Linden jumped right into the lineup, my bad! The twins didn't play right off the bat in the NHL, they weren't ready at all. Think of all those d-men the Canucks drafted in the first round, not one of them was NHL ready, but they were given a spot.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Signing] Coyotes re-sign Anthony Duclair
2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

now "Scoop" Dhaliwal is now getting info on non-Canucks players... he really seems to be tuned in. When he says the Bo deal is done then I'll believe it. 

he seems to have more insider info than Sekeras or any of our local guys. 

2 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

now "Scoop" Dhaliwal is now getting info on non-Canucks players... he really seems to be tuned in. When he says the Bo deal is done then I'll believe it. 

Dhaliwal is great.  Has good sources for rumours and just states facts.  No "provies" gossip and speculation. Love him. 

15 hours ago, johngould21 said:

He wasn't elite until Tom Watt ran him out of town to Boston. That kid oozed talent, but never got a chance in Vancouver. Like I said only Lever proved that he was ready in Vancouver. Lever did score 40 or thereabouts early in his career. Forgot Linden jumped right into the lineup, my bad! The twins didn't play right off the bat in the NHL, they weren't ready at all. Think of all those d-men the Canucks drafted in the first round, not one of them was NHL ready, but they were given a spot.

History be damned. IMO many fans watched Horvat overcome the odds and now expect all prospects to do the same or be labeled as failures. The risks taken by management to rush prospects into a lineup are huge. Odds are based on reality not numbers picked from thin air. Top all that off with the much harder job of coaching a prospects mental approach not just to the game but also to life as they adjust to a NHL life style. 

Where GM's/coaches like Pat Quinn were surrogate father figures the young players today have very involved agents and trainers who can contradict directions set by management. The biggest recent example to consider is Jake Virtanen. He does have and NHL body and many NHL quality skills. That does not guarantee a NHL career. His NHL success will likely come down to one man, Travis Green. I am optimistic that Green can guide many of these players to their maximum potential. What Benning and Linden experienced in the NHL is long gone. Green had a long NHL career that progressed through a high ppg to a defensive role player. He has coached junior and AHL. He has so much potential with this young Canuck team.     

Archived