The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Todd Bertuzzi says Thomas Vanek a good pick

groovy

40 minutes ago, Puckster said:

Payback is a Biatch! I too feel that the pileup caused the major injury and that Big Burt's anger got the momentary better of him to hit him from behind.

PAYBACK is Biatch isn't it !

Thanks Dr Recchi.....

4 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Chris Benoit was an amazing professional wrestler.....but you know, some things that happen tend to overshadow the positives.

We are not talking about a player who beats his wife , abuses children , has drug or alcohol issues. He got involved in a hockey fight that went a little too far. He has more then paid his debt.

Move on people!!!

I also like the other former Canuck Corey Hirsch's response. He was more questionable of the decision.

But I'd love to hear Bertuzzi's opinion on a regular basis on 650.

As far as The Incident goes, (woo hoo another rehash!) it was clearly the RESULT that was punished.  Bert initiated the domino effect that enticed other players to jump on board and ultimately damage the weasle Moore. Some agree with the NHL that you don't punish the action, but the result, and I respect that as long as they follow through on that for all incidents.

Because NHL discipline for a sucker punch..without sustaining injury is usually one game:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/sharks-micheal-haley-suspended-1.4043281

San Jose Sharks forward Micheal Haley has been suspended for one game without pay for punching Nashville forward Calle Jarnkrok.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/kings-milan-lucic-suspended-one-game-for-sucker-punch/

Kings' Milan Lucic suspended one game for sucker punch

But it jumped to 20 games for Bert because of injury. (and if you count that he was also barred from IIHF play for the full season of the lockout as well, it was extra long)

And if you agree with that premise, of punishing more the result than the action then fine. I can also see that point.  The punishment for murder (even if they claim it was not intended) and for assault (even though they may have been actually trying to kill the other person) are very different.

But lets not forget that it was never Bert's intention to end a career. It was a rash decision by an angry frustrated Bertuzzi where the weasel Moore was running away from a comeuppance from Bert on the ice. He could have turned and taken it like a man. Still no excuse for the sucker punch, but lets not continue to tar Bert as some kind of premeditated neck breaker. Hockey is a game of inches, and of seconds. He went over the line to no more of the same degree as did Lucic and Haley in those examples. If it weren't for Canuck Luck, that incident would have resulted in what 99% of other NHL sucker  punch discipline would have been. One game and it wouldn't even be a topic of conversation today.

I might as well ride this train wreck into the dirt too.

Bertuzzi hit the loser, sure. The real damage came from the piledriver-like forearm on the back that forced the guy headfirst into the ice for maximum impact, as  Bertuzzi finished him off. Watching it in slow motion, it's pretty hard to defend this frightful curbing. 

The punch was a sucker punch. They have happened many times in the NHL. The Bertuzzi "Finish him!" move is what sets his actions apart. He was trying to really hurt him there and did. The dog pile was the least of the  problems for Moore. Bertuzzi also has a long history of freaking out, some call it Roid rage. 

ALso had this to say about Boeser:

“Brock is awesome,” Vanek said. “I skated with him quite a bit this summer and told him (Friday) morning, ‘You know I might be joining you,’ and he seemed fairly excited. … He’s a great kid. What I like about him is even in summer hockey or shinny hockey, if you tell him a little tip here or there, he is the type of kid who will listen and doesn’t just shake his head and say, ‘I know it better anyways.’

“He’s very impressive.”

Not sure why people are upset about Vanek. He is just a plug for one year. There is still 2 to 3 spots up for grabs. We have at least six replacement level players who could all get jettisoned to the A. Dorsett and Gaunce are coming off injuries and will have big question marks surrounding them.

1 hour ago, apollo said:

First of all, whats worse... a punch from behind or a flying elbow by a 4th line plug into the leagues reigning MVP's head? 

The punch alone would have caused little to no long term damage. The group of 10 that jumped on and piled up broke Steve's neck. It's unfortunate. 

completely wrong, you could not be more wrong.

31 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I also like the other former Canuck Corey Hirsch's response. He was more questionable of the decision.

But I'd love to hear Bertuzzi's opinion on a regular basis on 650.

As far as The Incident goes, (woo hoo another rehash!) it was clearly the RESULT that was punished.  Bert initiated the domino effect that enticed other players to jump on board and ultimately damage the weasle Moore. Some agree with the NHL that you don't punish the action, but the result, and I respect that as long as they follow through on that for all incidents.

Because NHL discipline for a sucker punch..without sustaining injury is usually one game:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/sharks-micheal-haley-suspended-1.4043281

San Jose Sharks forward Micheal Haley has been suspended for one game without pay for punching Nashville forward Calle Jarnkrok.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/kings-milan-lucic-suspended-one-game-for-sucker-punch/

Kings' Milan Lucic suspended one game for sucker punch

But it jumped to 20 games for Bert because of injury. (and if you count that he was also barred from IIHF play for the full season of the lockout as well, it was extra long)

And if you agree with that premise, of punishing more the result than the action then fine. I can also see that point.  The punishment for murder (even if they claim it was not intended) and for assault (even though they may have been actually trying to kill the other person) are very different.

But lets not forget that it was never Bert's intention to end a career. It was a rash decision by an angry frustrated Bertuzzi where the weasel Moore was running away from a comeuppance from Bert on the ice. He could have turned and taken it like a man. Still no excuse for the sucker punch, but lets not continue to tar Bert as some kind of premeditated neck breaker. Hockey is a game of inches, and of seconds. He went over the line to no more of the same degree as did Lucic and Haley in those examples. If it weren't for Canuck Luck, that incident would have resulted in what 99% of other NHL sucker  punch discipline would have been. One game and it wouldn't even be a topic of conversation today.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

completely wrong, you could not be more wrong.

Read the post above buddy. 

There's been plenty of sucker punches in the NHL... it's unfortunate that there was a pile up after. It's simple as that. 

Berts punch didn't break his neck. 

Regardless, 4th liners shouldn't be running around head hunting league's reigning MVP. I stand by my opinion on this although it's not a very popular one.

Todd :goat: Bertuzzi 

Archived