The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Todd Bertuzzi says Thomas Vanek a good pick

groovy

52 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Or he could have grabbed him by the shoulder and spun him around and squared off. Or crushed him in a corner.

Or they could have gotten the revenge the same game nazzy was hit.

Bert made a poor choice but we all do in life.

Coulda shuda? How about we play that game with what Steve did? 

Steve could have not targeted the head of the league's reigning MVP. 

Again,  Jun 12, 2003 2:24 PM ET

"The NHL's players have named Markus Naslund their MVP.

Naslund was awarded Lester B. Pearson Trophy at a ceremony at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto on Thursday."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/naslund-wins-pearson-award-1.400774 

Fast forward to the following season... when Markus Naslund is the league's reigning MVP... and Steve targets his head? 

Come on... let's see what happens if someone head hunts McDavid this coming season. 

Another good article 

"He's suing everyone so he can make money," Naslund told the Vancouver Sun from Sweden. "I've got no respect for him at all.

"Even talking to his teammates, it seems evident he doesn't have a lot of support in hockey."

Naslund has been playing for MoDo of the Swedish Elite Hockey League this season. Two of his teammates, Peter Forsberg and Dan Hinote, played with Moore on the Colorado Avalanche last year.

Moore, who played 57 games as an NHL rookie last season, is suing Canucks forwards Bertuzzi and Brad May, as well as Vancouver coach Marc Crawford, former general manager Brian Burke and the hockey club for unspecified damages.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/no-respect-for-moore-naslund-1.525601

30 minutes ago, kloubek said:

- I'd say that he absolutely has a good chance of giving us extra scoring punch.  (Something that would be absolutely lovely to see after the last couple of seasons).

- I'd also venture to guess he will be tried out with the Sedins.  He isn't quick, but he's smart and I could see potential chemistry form there.  It would be amazing for them to make a resurgence this coming season - and might encourage them to stick around another year or two.  
- The price was right.  (Free)  Little or no risk.

- If he performs even reasonably well, he'd be sought after at the deadline, and we got him for nothing. So basically, a free draft pick/prospect for nothing.  

The only detriment I see to signing him is that he does use up a roster spot which could go to a young guy.  But once injuries occur (and they well) there will be positions available for the one or two guys who are stuck in Utica and shouldn't be.

I'd say this is all good, and I'm happy to have Vanek on board.  Let's hope he meets expectations.

If you evaluate Vaneks ice time over the past three years, it has gone from 16,15,14 last season.  It does line up with adding a rookie that's ready but aside from Boeser I don't think anyones ready for a full time position up front.  Benning says we have space for two after Vanek and to start that's enough IMO.

Obviously he's there primarily as a weapon on the PP.  Despite the modest ice time he's also managed a respectable around .75 per game and his points per sixty minutes is still elite.  If he plays with the Sedins and on the top pp unit his ice time would have to go up at least two minutes, not sure he still has gas for that but I think when he plays he will be a threat every game.

A little hot and cold, so hopefully the coach can manage him in a way to rest him when he needs it, and not overplay to the point of injuries which is a concern.

If all goes right he will do what LE was supposed to last year ( perhaps they will put him on the first line where he belongs instead of burying him on the third line and expecting fifty points from him and play Vanek with Sutter?

).  The Sedins can dish him pucks in the o zone and he can finish....in his and their prime no doubt he would have fifty goal seasons...it always bugs me when they put rookies and plugs on their line and expect them to magically turn them into offensive players...

And after scoring 33 goals we swap him as a rental to pretty much any contender looking for depth and get a 25-31 overall next year...if that happens Benning will look brilliant..if he ends up playing from the infirmary we lose nothing, we have two spots for young guys and it's debatable if anyone other than Boeser is ready anyways.  Next year I bet half the free agents are turned into something else, and we have three or four guys coming up.  It all fits very well at this point in the rebuild, and look at the bright side we have six new jerseys we can pick from while the goings good.

My only regret is it's not Jagr, I bet he would have taken the same contract by now.  Would love the chance to pick up his jersey and enjoy the additional traveling Jagrs..

Not going to quote your entire post IBatch because there are a few points I wanted to respond to.  That's a great assessment on his ice time, and he really seems to be still productive.  As far as him gassing out - I imagine we're going to be playing the Sedins less than ever and start distributing the ice time throughout the lineups, so that philosophy probably fits in ok with our direction and if we choose to play Vanek with the Sedins.

I also agree with Boeser in that he is the only young guy I really want with the big club right away.  I imagine we will see through internal competition a couple of other players rise to the top.  And don't forget we have complete wildcards in players like Rodin as well though, but as you said there is still a couple of spots available and as I mentioned before, injuries will happen.  Goldobin is the other one I thought we'd like to see more of, but we'll see how he does in Utica to warrant the call-up.

As far as your comment on Eriksson: It was buried because he pretty much sucked last season.  He had good possession stats but his scoring was pretty awful.  I can't blame anyone for reducing his ice time.  I do think that he is a FAR better player than we saw though so I agree - he needs to be given another chance to show us he wasn't a complete mistake.

All in all, I said it once before in these forums recently and I'll say it again: I think this team is going to surprise some people.  The "experts" especially.  No, we won't be winning any cups and I know my view on where we end up in the standings is not a popular one - but let's just say I'm pretty positive we're all going to enjoy watching these games far more than in the prior couple of seasons.

51 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Vanek is not the guy I see being targeted by a playoff team at the TDL.

If he can come in and score at a 30 goal pace (not unreasonable with the chances he will get on the PP), he can easily fetch a 2nd rounder. Ironically, he is the exact same age that Radim Vrbata and Mikael Samuelsson were, when the Canucks signed them on short term deals to help the PP. They both went on to score 33 and 30 goals respectively in the upcoming season after signing in free agency. 

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Come the f on, lets just get over the whole result thing. As if we weren't all out of our seats, cheering when Bert crushed Moore. I was, I loved seeing that rat puke get levelled.

The outcome sure sucked though. Ok. Time to quit whining about a decade old incident.

On topic- Bert's right. 

I dont care what anyone thinks the outcome was all on Moore he knew they were coming for him all he had to do was drop the gloves. you make make a hit like that on any teams star you had better be ready to drop the gloves. Not skate away slash run away. your right time to forget this incident and Burt is right.

46 minutes ago, Hockey101 class said:

I dont care what anyone thinks the outcome was all on Moore he knew they were coming for him all he had to do was drop the gloves. you make make a hit like that on any teams star you had better be ready to drop the gloves. Not skate away slash run away. your right time to forget this incident and Burt is right.

Preaching to the choir, dude. 

56 minutes ago, Hockey101 class said:

He did

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

He did

Were you satisfied after Moore and Cookie went at it? I bet you weren't.

No sane, respectable hockey fan wanted for Moore to have a career ending neck injury in retribution for that chicken wing, cheap crap he pulled. I just wanted more than the tilt Cooke gave him, everyone did. Most likely you included.

But I think it's high time to just bury the hatchet. Time's been served

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Were you satisfied after Moore and Cookie went at it? I bet you weren't.

No sane, respectable hockey fan wanted for Moore to have a career ending neck injury in retribution for that chicken wing, cheap crap he pulled. I just wanted more than the tilt Cooke gave him, everyone did. Most likely you included.

But I think it's high time to just bury the hatchet. Time's been served

So he should fight someone way out of his weight class to satisfy fans and Bertuzzis bloodlust?  Cooke was in, even above his weight class.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

So he should fight someone way out of his weight class to satisfy fans and Bertuzzis bloodlust?  Cooke was in, even above his weight class.

Ok, you were over it after the Cooke fight. I wasnt. 

But it's old news and I tend agree with your train of thought here on CDC.

Bury the hatchet

4 hours ago, appleboy said:

And has paid for it in a big way. The fans in this city continually show how petty they are. They all jump on board of anything that can be made into a negative story. This is why Team 1040 have become so negative in all of their broad casts. It is what sells!

I was only replying to appolos stupid initial comment. Maybe I shouldn't have put another log on the fire but he's the one who brought bertuzzi-moore into this.

7 hours ago, Fanaholic said:

Do you have any idea what it is like to live in pain?   I doubt it.   WELL I'll tell you this:   I have disintegrating discs in the lower lumbar and live in pain 24/7.   I have seen physios, chiropractors, surgeons and acupuncturists and several of each.  I even tried the back pain clinic program at Shaugnessy Hospital.   I lived on 8 tylenol 3 per day through the 80's and 90's to get an ounce of relief.  Then I needed stronger pills after that.   I decided to try a naturopath at the advice of a good friend and he saved my life.   What caused the pain - wear and tear on my body being a long distance runner for years.   There is no surgical repair for me and today, I cannot run ever but I can walk and more importantly I can control the pain.   Since 2000 I have not taken a pain pill.

I don't care if Steve was a 4th liner or a NO LINER - nobody deserves what happened to him.   ON the other hand, you need to give your head a shake for making the comparison to what Nazzy was to what Steve was . . .

You ever tried Mary Jane? 

It helps with people who are in overwhelming pain. 

Archived