The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Sedins in the Player's Tribune

Down by the River

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Great letter by great people. Now that they've been as crystal clear as possible, hopefully fans put any idea of trading them to rest.

they ride from the airport up to Grouse mountain and finish it off with the grind.... if they can do that they can hang around for a few years yet. I'm really hoping Green gets creative with them this year, sometimes together 5 on 5, sometimes apart, more o-zone time, maybe a few less minutes, etc. If Green can figure out a system where they're not chasing as much as they have been over the last 2 seasons I don't see a reason why these guys can't play until they're 40. 

Even though this is not a retirement announcement, still feels like the a goodbye of sorts. Maybe they will think it over and retire if they want/ GM wants....

I'd say they stick around another year tbh and play as our 2nd line (2-3 mill / year). Gives us time to for Pettersson and Dahlen to come together to replace the 2. Horvat plays the #1C either this year or next year (even tho hes a top 2C).

Thank You to the best brothers ever

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they ride from the airport up to Grouse mountain and finish it off with the grind.... if they can do that they can hang around for a few years yet. I'm really hoping Green gets creative with them this year, sometimes together 5 on 5, sometimes apart, more o-zone time, maybe a few less minutes, etc. If Green can figure out a system where they're not chasing as much as they have been over the last 2 seasons I don't see a reason why these guys can't play until they're 40. 

Same. I think Green will be more of a creative coach than Desjardins was.

I dont care if we get first overall or whatever. I want the Sedins to retire as canucks or keep playing for them idc. These guys has done so much for the city and trading them or whatever and seeing them play for another team is wrong. 

Henrik and Daniel world class players. One of the most classiest athletes in the sports world and we are so lucky to have these guys on our team. Really hope we dont run them out of the city this season like we did to Luongo. They will always and forever be canucks. 

Great read. Thanks for posting.

I really like the timing of this article being posted. This will eliminate all the speculation and distraction surrounding the Sedins' future during the regular season. Now we can just focus on them playing potentially their final full season with Vancouver. Over the years, a lot of fans have taken them for granted and never truly realized how much they have done for the city, both on and off ice. When they say their final goodbye to the fans, it will be a similar feeling as Linden's final game.

12 minutes ago, Honeydews said:

I dont care if we get first overall or whatever. I want the Sedins to retire as canucks or keep playing for them idc. These guys has done so much for the city and trading them or whatever and seeing them play for another team is wrong. 

Henrik and Daniel world class players. One of the most classiest athletes in the sports world and we are so lucky to have these guys on our team. Really hope we dont run them out of the city this season like we did to Luongo. They will always and forever be canucks. 

Love the Twins, but at their advanced ages they are not going to carry our team any more.  We will still be a poor team, and struggle to score, while (likely) allowing more goals against.  I have no issue with even extending the Twins for a couple more seasons.  They still have moments of greatness.

24 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Same. I think Green will be more of a creative coach than Desjardins was.

I am hoping that Green tries to win games versus WD who seemed to try to not lose them.   That can be a significantly different approach to a game.

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Great read. Thanks for posting.

I really like the timing of this article being posted. This will eliminate all the speculation and distraction surrounding the Sedins' future during the regular season. Now we can just focus on them playing potentially their final full season with Vancouver. Over the years, a lot of fans have taken them for granted and never truly realized how much they have done for the city, both on and off ice. When they say their final goodbye to the fans, it will be a similar feeling as Linden's final game.

As oh great and powerful moderator, perhaps you can wander over and lock any/all trade threads about them too.   Simply embarrassing in my opinion to have those on a Canuck fan site - particularly after what they have reaffirmed (not said for first time whatsoever).    Besides, there still must be 108 different ways to trade Tanev for people to speculate about.

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

I am hoping that Green tries to win games versus WD who seemed to try to not lose them.   That can be a significantly different approach to a game.

Good point. It certainly did feel that way last year with Willie gnashing on his stache pacing up and down the bench.

He must have been worn out by the end of each game.

OxQaiOq.gif

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am curious by this.   You don't think players notice the fans and want to make them appreciate the play?    I know players who say they "ignore the media" - and have found those ones are the ones who read EVERYTHING said about them.   Most want to make the fans proud and do care what people think - at least in my experience.

My point is that elements of the local fanbase and the media are so toxic that they felt they needed to make an effort not to read and listen to the horrible things many said, and do say, about them.  That's pretty sad, if you ask me and a reason why it is so hard for Canadian teams to attract quality FA's.  

Just now, stawns said:

My point is that elements of the local fanbase and the media are so toxic that they felt they needed to make an effort not to read and listen to the horrible things many said, and do say, about them.  That's pretty sad, if you ask me and a reason why it is so hard for Canadian teams to attract quality FA's.  

Good point Stawns.  I think that certainly was the case for Edmonton in the past.   People can say what they want about the money etc. but these are humans, have families and some even kids in the community and it can wear on you.   In Europe where there is only really fandom at the games (rarely away from the game), it is so different and might compare to the average NHL type playing somewhere like Carolina or Florida etc. - do your job to the best of your ability, go out at night and not have to listen to people yelling crap remarks at you and your lady friend...for but one example.

I believe there is something to that.   Funny thing, when a player REALLY embraces it like Subban did in Montreal the ownership/coach/???? couldn't stand the player becoming that much more than the team and they moved him even if it meant getting a brutal amount in return over the long-term.   Canadian hockey markets are indeed unique.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Good point Stawns.  I think that certainly was the case for Edmonton in the past.   People can say what they want about the money etc. but these are humans, have families and some even kids in the community and it can wear on you.   In Europe where there is only really fandom at the games (rarely away from the game), it is so different and might compare to the average NHL type playing somewhere like Carolina or Florida etc. - do your job to the best of your ability, go out at night and not have to listen to people yelling crap remarks at you and your lady friend...for but one example.

I believe there is something to that.   Funny thing, when a player REALLY embraces it like Subban did in Montreal the ownership/coach/???? couldn't stand the player becoming that much more than the team and they moved him even if it meant getting a brutal amount in return over the long-term.   Canadian hockey markets are indeed unique.

I truly think the rise of the internet and sport specific radio is a huge factor in why a Canadian team hasn't won a Cup since '93.  I've known many a player who said they would never sign with a Canadian team strictly because they want no part of that kind of fan base and media scrutiny

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I truly think the rise of the internet and sport specific radio is a huge factor in why a Canadian team hasn't won a Cup since '93.  I've known many a player who said they would never sign with a Canadian team strictly because they want no part of that kind of fan base and media scrutiny

One of the things that drew me to sites like CDC was hearing that very thing and once here saw that is was even worse than I imagined.   To think that players are someone immune to hurtful crap said about them (they don't have to read it to hear about it) is both naive and I suspect the root of some of it.   I always felt it would be great to have people that go way past the constructive criticism line have to say it to the player in person - I know that is a random thought but I use it for myself when I am very harsh I let myself imagine saying it in person and agree that I will if I ever get to see that player (and I have had opportunity to do just that more than once - no, I don't get along with all present/former NHL players I know..lol).    

Anyway, it takes players like the Sedins to demonstrate the level of professionalism, maturity and mental toughness that alone should make their on-ice greatness a footnote to their HOF induction notes.   Players like Seguin, for one example, could only wish to be the men these two are.

58 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Great point Jimmy

I would like to see the Sedin's minutes reduced to a level that its possible they still have some gas left in the tank at the end of the year. Seem the last 3 to 4 years this hasn't been the case.

Wow what class from those two.... a lot of great memories watching them play.

Canucks were very lucky to have them from start to finish.

I've seen them play forever it seems like.... weird to think of a canucks team without them.

Also still kinda hoping they can play till we go on 1 more good run for the cup... really would like to see them hold that cup.

Really going to miss them when the actually retire. 

Great letter by a couple amazing talents and incredible people.

But it's time to move on. 

The reason that I don't share the emotionalism that a lot of previous posters have expressed is simple. IMO It's time for the Canucks to face the reality of a future without the Sedins. Yes, they're ABSOLUTELY amazing leaders and add value to the prospects coming in but they can lean into that off the ice if they stay on in the organization in some capacity. I would love to see that. The reality is that as great as they are as men, leaders, and hockey players - the game has left them behind the last few seasons. Their speed just isn't where it needs to be to keep up anymore, which was painfully obvious last year especially. 

I also think that their legacy is best cemented here in this city by leaving fans wanting more (which is possible even at this point) as opposed to continuing on for a few more seasons where slowly but surely everyone starts watching the clock. I don't think their great careers deserve that kind of slow death with more and more fans hoping we can just move on. Again, IMO the ned of this season would be the ideal time to make the transition and begin really celebrating two phenomenal careers. 

Archived