The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calder Memorial Trophy

GrandpaCanuck

The following is a cut and paste from the NHL website. It describes the eligibility criteria for Rookie of the year. 

I am trying to determine if Anton Rodin is eligible or not. He is eligible for his age (26 now, turns 27 in nov) but they say he cant have played more then 25 games in a Major professional league. I do not know if the NHL considers the SEL that type of league or not. Does anyone know for certain?

While in real life this may not be relavent, in fantasy hockey the rookie player we choose must be eligible for the calder. Hence my question. I honestly feel Rodin will be in a position to suceed if he makes the squad, but i need to determine if he qualifies.

If anyone knows. Please share your source!

Calder Memorial Trophy

The Calder Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League. The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the end of the regular season and each individual voter ranks their top five candidates on a 10 -7-5-3-1 points system. Three finalists are named and the trophy is awarded at the NHL Awards ceremony after the playoffs.

From 1936-37 until his death in 1943, NHL President Frank Calder bought a trophy each year to be given permanently to the outstanding rookie. After Calder's death, the NHL presented the Calder Memorial Trophy in his memory and the trophy is to be kept in perpetuity.

In 1990, 31-year-old Sergei Makarov of the Calgary Flames became the oldest player to win the Calder. After that season, the rules for awarding the Calder were amended so that players are eligible only if they were 26 years old or younger by Sept. 15 of their rookie season.

To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. Beginning in 1990-91, to be eligible for this award a player must not have attained his twenty-sixth birthday by September 15th of the season in which he is eligible. The latter fact was perhaps most prominent when in 1979–80, first-year phenom Wayne Gretzky was not eligible to win the Calder Trophy despite scoring 137 points (the previous rookie record at the time being 95), because he had played a full season in the World Hockey Association in 1978-79. The Toronto Maple Leafs lead all teams with nine players who've won the Calder. 

42 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

If Rodin hasn't aged out, then he should be eligible. Panarin won it in 2016 and he played a crap ton of KHL games.

Yep. 300+ KHL games if you include playoffs.

It's a joke IMO and they should really change the eligibility rules. Especially because there are tons of places in the CBA where the league defines "pro games" as including any elite European League (KHL, SHL, Liiga, Extraliga, etc).

That said, they should change it next year, assuming Rödin is eligible this season. ;) 

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It's a joke IMO and they should really change the eligibility rules. Especially because there are tons of places in the CBA where the league defines "pro games" as including an elite European League (KHL, SHL, Liiga, Extraliga, etc).

That said, they should change next year, assuming Rödin is eligible this season. ;) 

To be fair, maybe the NHL is throwing some next level shade at the KHL by not including it in the list of elite leagues.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It's a joke IMO and they should really change the eligibility rules.

It was a joke before and that's why they changed the eligibility rules.

They changed it after Sergei Makarov won it in 1990.  He had already played 13 years as a pro in the Soviet Union.

As far as I can tell the NHL seems to be the only league considered major in that context. I don't feel like I've noticed AHL games/seasons counting against it. With regards to the SHL, if KHL experience doesn't count, then it's highly unlikely that SHL experience counts against eligibility, given that the KHL is often considered a more competitive league. I'd say he is eligible.

4 hours ago, GrandpaCanuck said:

Exactly. NHL considers KHL bush league. 

Well did you see Larsen just get to skate around all willynilly, burning an entire team skating by their D who held hands on the blue line?

Yes, Larsen is like Bobby Orr in the bush league....errr KHL 

23 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It's a joke IMO and they should really change the eligibility rules. Especially because there are tons of places in the CBA where the league defines "pro games" as including any elite European League (KHL, SHL, Liiga, Extraliga, etc).

That said, they should change it next year, assuming Rödin is eligible this season. ;) 

Makarov won at around 32 after playing a ridiculous amount of Red Army and international games.   They changed the rules after that...and yet they wouldn't give it to Gretzky because he played a season at age 17... 

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

Makarov won at around 32 after playing a ridiculous amount of Red Army and international games.   They changed the rules after that...and yet they wouldn't give it to Gretzky because he played a season at age 17... 

The WHL was in direct competition with the NHL and the owners hated them for pilfering their players and going ahead signing underage juniors. As a result the quality of players was fairly equal to the NHL. Meaning it would be unfair to play in one league but be considered a rookie in the other. Whereas Euro leagues are considered inferior as their best players are drafted and over here at a relatively young age.

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

The WHL was in direct competition with the NHL and the owners hated them for pilfering their players and going ahead signing underage juniors. As a result the quality of players was fairly equal to the NHL. Meaning it would be unfair to play in one league but be considered a rookie in the other. Whereas Euro leagues are considered inferior as their best players are drafted and over here at a relatively young age.

Makarov and Larionov were legends before they arrived on the international stage, and then Red Army produced what most people think was the best hockey ever in the 1987 Canada Cup, by far the most talented team Canada has ever produced and the Soviets almost beat them.  Factually that Red Army team at the timewas better than most all star teams.   Makarov won the Calder in his thirties and they changed the rules after. 

Your right about the WHA pilfering younger guys.  It drove the NHL nuts, they sued and lost and it was the reason almost all the owners agreed to absorb them.  Wirtz from CHI was against it.  He kabosshed a deal to do it their second year, a group led by Snider had the foresight to buy them out right away for four million a team, but Wirtz stopped it right at the end. 

Ken Linesman also sued the league's rule about drafting at 20.  He was eighteen at the time and felt he was ready.  He was ready and won the case.  Pressure from the WHA poaching all the young stars, and Ken Linesman became a pivotal point after seven years or so of the NHL battling the WHA getting a deal done.  If it went on for a couple more years who knows what teams would have been absorbed and what might of happened with the Oilers.

They drafted Lowe in the first round, Messier in the third, and Kurri something like five or six ( can't remember their second round pick but it might have been a core player too) in 1979. 

Without the WHA and Linesman an entire generation of players loaded with legends would have started their careers later and likely missed out on some production.  It definitely made an impact, as did the merger.

Archived