The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Hero ? - Speaker of Legislative Assembly Darryle Plecas

kingofsurrey

BC Hero  ? - MLA Darryle Plecas

What a hero / so much integrity  to put the Province of BC  ahead of old school politics .
Creating a stable province now for the next 4 years so BC can start to make this province actually work for its citizens.

Or do you think he did it for the money - personal gain ? 

Darryl Plecas  
Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

Mr. Horgan, is that you?

Do you think Plecas took the position for the better of the province  ?  or for the money ? 

I tend to think he is a free thinker  / independent and was on the outs of the BC Liberal Party anyways.......

4 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Call me a cynic, but I tend to think Plecas did it for Plecas.  It's a weak person that leaves their colleagues when they are down.

Fun fact... he was one of my wife's profs when she was in university.

Apparently he threatened to leave the party if CC did not resign....

I tend to think, he had a falling out with  the leadership of the BC Libs so  he took this opportunity for a little payback.....

Maybe i am reading it wrong......

9 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Do you think Plecas took the position for the better of the province  ?  or for the money ? 

I tend to think he is a free thinker  / independent and was on the outs of the BC Liberal Party anyways.......

I think he was naive from what I have read - admittedly not close to it.   However, when people vote for you as part of a political party and you bail on that party you have to think his constituents feel a tad betrayed.

Looking at the numbers in BC (wow that was close), what if the tables were turned and a couple of the NDP types got tired of all the key projects being killed and went and became Liberals and gave the Liberals a slim majority - would you still think of them as "free thinking" and start a thread with the question of them being a "heroes"?

Regardless of his motives, I'm glad he did it.  I'm also glad our province seems to be heading toward a bipartisan group of leaders in an age where partisan politics and political commentary is at an all-time high.  With the growing acceptance of extreme groups like ANTIFA and the unifying of the Alt. Right, it's getting tough to see that the majority of us are moderate.  We may have differing spots on the political spectrum, but we can all exist together if we find our common beliefs and goals before focusing on the differences and the extreme examples.  There is no place for extremism, it's divisive and makes the ultimate goal of a Utopian society based on the world of Star Trek even further away.

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:
BC Hero  ? - MLA Darryle Plecas

What a hero / so much integrity  to put the Province of BC  ahead of old school politics .
Creating a stable province now for the next 4 years so BC can start to make this province actually work for its citizens.

Or do you think he did it for the money - personal gain ? 

Darryl Plecas  
Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia

Is this the fellow that is spending BC's already deficit bank account into complete interest slavery? 

I heard we were spending money on non essentials while already being in the hole. If so, no not a hero. In fact, a criminal. (I wish I could sue politicians who keep spending other people's money and put them/us in debt) Our kids and future generations won't be thanking these people, if this is the case. 

4 hours ago, Stelar said:

He is the Danielle Smith of BC politics.  

I think when someone is elected under one party umbrella and then wants to switch they should have to run again before they can....

Pretty sure Plecas did NOT switch party.    The speaker position is more neutral .....    Plecas applied for Speaker position.  Liberals kicked him out the Liberal Party.....

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I think he was naive from what I have read - admittedly not close to it.   However, when people vote for you as part of a political party and you bail on that party you have to think his constituents feel a tad betrayed.

Looking at the numbers in BC (wow that was close), what if the tables were turned and a couple of the NDP types got tired of all the key projects being killed and went and became Liberals and gave the Liberals a slim majority - would you still think of them as "free thinking" and start a thread with the question of them being a "heroes"?

Plecas did not join the NDP or sit as independent....   Fact is , BC Liberals kicked him out of their party.

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Plecas did not join the NDP or sit as independent....   Fact is , BC Liberals kicked him out of their party.

After he crossed the floor to take the job - but back to my question, would you celebrate as heroes two NDPers crossing and becoming Liberals and giving them a majority?

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

After he crossed the floor to take the job - but back to my question, would you celebrate as heroes two NDPers crossing and becoming Liberals and giving them a majority?

Plecas did not cross the floor or even resign from the BC Liberal Party.

BC Liberals kicked him out.

wikopedia

Traditionally, the Speaker has been a member of the governing party, current Speaker Darryl Plecas being an exception; however, while holding the office of Speaker that MLA must act neutrally and treat all other MLAs impartially, and to preserve this impartiality the Speaker follows Speaker Denison's rule in breaking ties. 

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

IMG_2968.GIF

That's my point...perfect!   I don't have anything vested in BC politics (as long as you guys allow the economy to continue and stop blocking everything) but it seems if it is good in one direction (heroic), it must be in the other direction.   

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Plecas did not cross the floor or even resign from the BC Liberal Party.

BC Liberals kicked him out.

wikopedia

Traditionally, the Speaker has been a member of the governing party, current Speaker Darryl Plecas being an exception; however, while holding the office of Speaker that MLA must act neutrally and treat all other MLAs impartially, and to preserve this impartiality the Speaker follows Speaker Denison's rule in breaking ties. 

Then where was the NDP hero to take on this role?  You can split hairs all you want, NDP didn't do this or they would lose their slim minority.    That makes any move by a Liberal a defacto cross of the floor.   I read your posts - you are too intelligent to play dumb on this one.

15 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Then where was the NDP hero to take on this role?  You can split hairs all you want, NDP didn't do this or they would lose their slim minority.    That makes any move by a Liberal a defacto cross of the floor.   I read your posts - you are too intelligent to play dumb on this one.

Speaker can come from majority or minority party....

Plecas took the position as a Liberal.

That much is fact.

Then the BC Liberals kicked him out of the BC LIberal Party.

Archived